daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 05:41 PM   #36861
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
That 'little piece of sea' belongs to Croatia.
No, it doesn't. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague assigned it to Slovenia, so it's ours.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:45 PM   #36862
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Can Slovenians understand Croatian (if they haven't studied it), and vice versa?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 06:52 PM   #36863
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
No, it doesn't. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague assigned it to Slovenia, so it's ours.
My personal understanding is that those areas are purely Croatian. Because the borders were defined decades ago or if we go back in time since 1945 and then in the 70's. Also I think that the arbitration was not correct and maybe there was bribing or something, but anyway I stand with the Croatian side on this.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:03 PM   #36864
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
My personal understanding is that those areas are purely Croatian. Because the borders were defined decades ago or if we go back in time since 1945 and then in the 70's. Also I think that the arbitration was not correct and maybe there was bribing or something, but anyway I stand with the Croatian side on this.
What was the point in defining sea borders when it was a single country?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

g.spinoza liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:04 PM   #36865
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Can Slovenians understand Croatian (if they haven't studied it), and vice versa?
According to some Croatian friends, some it's intelligible, but not perfectly. Instead, Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian are almost the same language.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:34 PM   #36866
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Instead, Croatian, Serbian and Bosnian are almost the same language.
"Almost" in that sentence is only from political not from linguistic point of view.

Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 07:37 PM   #36867
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I think that the best solution for this problem would be reunification of Slovenia and Croatia.

kreden liked this post
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #36868
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
How you doing in the FYROM? (just kidding)

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 08:47 PM   #36869
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
How you doing in the FYROM? (just kidding)
It could be much better. And we don't have sea border s to worry about.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:01 PM   #36870
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Croatia.
So objective.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM   #36871
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Yeah, more or less. I speak Croatian fluently.

Quote:
Maritime borders weren't defined in Yugoslavia. The Gulf of Piran was almost entirely controlled by SR Slovenia, so the court assigned it to us. If you're interested why exactly it was given to us, you can read it here (chapters V and VI).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:25 PM   #36872
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjac View Post
"Almost" in that sentence is only from political not from linguistic point of view.
I don't know any of these languages. But motorway is autocesta in Croatian and Autoput in Serbian, so I though there were some differences.
Are they comparable with BrE and AmE, that apart few words (motorway/freeway, lift/elevator, colour/color, fizzy drink/soda, lorry/truck, ect...) are the same language?
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:41 PM   #36873
volodaaaa

Quote:
I don't know any of these languages. But motorway is autocesta in Croatian and Autoput in Serbian, so I though there were some differences.
Are they comparable with BrE and AmE, that apart few words (motorway/freeway, lift/elevator, colour/color, fizzy drink/soda, lorry/truck, ect...) are the same language?
I guess yes. Saying autocesta instead of autoput does not make you a foreigner.

AFAIK Macedonian and Slovenian language are noticeably different from Croatian or Serbian language, but the latter ones are almost the same. There is perhaps a difference in pronunciation of the question word "What"?

Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:42 PM   #36874
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Re American and British English, I wouldn't even say "apart from a few words": They are the same language, with multiple standards. Linguists call it a "pluricentric language" and there are lots of them in the world....

Ahem. [End soapbox mode]

Now, if Italy just took the whole Istrian penisula back, that would save everyone some trouble.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:47 PM   #36875
italystf

Quote:
Now, if Italy just took the whole Istrian penisula back, that would save everyone some trouble.
Nah, the future is the Free Territory of Trieste 2.0 from the Timavo to the Mirna.

Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:48 PM   #36876
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Their main export will be Hausbrandt?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:49 PM   #36877
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
We have been talking language issues on this thread very far back as I remember well... Those four language (BCSM) in the Balkans are based on a same dialect. That dialect has mainly two variants one is the 'western' and the other would be the 'eastern' variant. The eastern is used as a standard in Serbia only but on the same dialect as the western variant.
So technically there are different words and different pronunciation, but the languages are more or less based on a same ground.
If there were no borders or war times, those languages could be codified as one language.

BEEN IN:
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:49 PM   #36878
volodaaaa

Just wait for the Austria-Hungarian resurrection, guys.

Last edited by volodaaaa; September 3rd, 2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:50 PM   #36879
Gyorgy

Likes (Received): 368

Quote:
Yes, some casual mistakes when Slovenians in Croatia actualy speak Serbo-Croatian and use Serbian words instead of Croatian. And most of them made such mistakes with Serbian because they don't know it's the same in Slovenian and Croatian.

Autoput, kola, pare, voz, zemljotres and so on...

Last edited by Gyorgy; September 3rd, 2017 at 10:56 PM.
Gyorgy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2017, 10:56 PM   #36880
italystf

Quote:
Their main export will be Hausbrandt?
Also Illy coffee, Terrano and Malvasia wines and salt from Sicciole.
But the main economic activities will be the finacial ones, as it will become a tax heaven like Liechtenstein or the Caymans.

Tags
highways, motorways