daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 6th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #36901
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I got my first PC in 1992. I don't remember technical details (I think the processor had 40MHz but no idea about HDD, sure, far less than 1GB) but I remember the price: 4,000 DM.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Penn's Woods, Kanadzie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #36902
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

1994. Desktop (Hewlett-Packard, I think). About $1,800.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #36903
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

My first computer was a Commodore 64 in 1986. 64 kilobyte of RAM. I suppose there are younger technicians nowadays that have never heard the word "kilobyte" :-) (And the system took almost 30 kB, so after the system had been loaded, we had 38911 bytes free. I can remember this number although I haven't seen it for more than 25 years :-)
My parents bought my first PC in 1991. It had a hard drive of 40 megabyte. But I had to create two partitions, because MS DOS 3 was limited to 33 MB. That PC had 1 MB RAM and a CPU with a speed of 12 MHz.
Even the scales have changed at least twice since then. My mom could hardly believe when I told her that my smartphone has a RAM of approx. 50,000 times the RAM of that old Commodore :-D

cinxxx, Penn's Woods, Verso liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #36904
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

I first starting "playing" on computers at my mother's work, there were either 286 or 386 PCs, I think from 15-40 MHz something. They even had a turbo button to double the frequency . Not sure how big the HDD was, but I know we used floppy disks a lot, and it was very frustrating because those things were very fragile and you will get "bad sectors" quite often and data was lost...
cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:11 PM   #36905
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

My mum worked in a Telecom company. She got her first business laptop in 1993. It has 512 MB hdd and 8 mb ram. Colour screen. The price was 100.000 skk (3.000€), she earned 3.000 all (100€) back then, so I was forbidden to tell anyone about it. She has been still working there and I remember in 2011 she decided to return it as it was unable to run anything newer than win98. The technicians laughed and refused it as a 'piece of useless crap' .

This like

cinxxx liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #36906
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
My first PC was in 1996
1995 here. :P And I think it was some weird hybrid between 486 and Pentium, called 586.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:11 PM   #36907
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

I've learned programming with a 8086 processor

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #36908
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

My father remembers that when they introduced Windows 95 at his work was a sort of revolution, compared to the less user-fiendly OSs from the past (sometimes even without mouse).
After 22 years, all Windows OSs are still the evolution of it (although Apple arrived before).
I'm probably the last generation who remember 1.4 MB floppy disks. I still have tons of them at home unused since... 2002-2003??
I've a still-working SD card from 2005 I think... only 256MB. Now they make them of 256GB i think.
I had a 64MB pen drive too in the early 2000s, but I don't have it anymore.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:33 PM   #36909
italystf

It seems that I'm probably younger than 80% of people there, but still I remember things that people born 5 years after me don't.
These stuff change really fast.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #36910
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
My first PC fom 2000 had 10GB. It was a normal-size HD mounted inside the case. Still a huge improvement from the 2GB fridge-sized HD from just 6 years before.
The 2 GB disk system I wrote about was an external device to an HP-UX box in a professional use. The box contained some internal disk storage, too. In that time, the storage characteristics of Unix boxes were quite different from the PC product line. Later, the technologies converged.

The disk technology made giant leaps that time. Quite soon after that purchase, the same amount of storage was hosted by a box of about 15x15x10 cm. I called the chief production manager:

- My new 2 GB disk just arrived.
- Wow. Where is it now? At the loading bay?
- No, it is on my desk.
- On your desk?
- Yes.
- How in the heck can it be on your desk?
- It came by mail.
- WHAT? I'll come and see. Stay there.

He was working at the mainframe side, and he was more familiar to the fridge-size boxes.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by MattiG; September 6th, 2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Grammar
MattiG está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #36911
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
My mum worked in a Telecom company. She got her first business laptop in 1993. It has 512 MB hdd and 8 mb ram. Colour screen. The price was 100.000 skk (3.000€), she earned 3.000 all (100€) back then, so I was forbidden to tell anyone about it. She has been still working there and I remember in 2011 she decided to return it as it was unable to run anything newer than win98. The technicians laughed and refused it as a 'piece of useless crap' .

This like
This is something I would preserve, as it may have historical interest. Back then laptops were not common things and probaly very few have survived till now.
I will probably throw away my Huawei P8 Lite when it won't work anymore, but I won't throw away my parents' huge Motorola from the middle 1990s, even if of course it isn't usable anymore.
Old September 7th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #36912
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
My father remembers that when they introduced Windows 95 at his work was a sort of revolution, compared to the less user-fiendly OSs from the past (sometimes even without mouse).
Anyone remembers Windows 3.1x?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:W..._workspace.png

Quote:
I will probably throw away my Huawei P8 Lite when it won't work anymore, but I won't throw away my parents' huge Motorola from the middle 1990s, even if of course it isn't usable anymore.
I still have my first cell phone from 1999 (of course I'm not using it any more ).

cinxxx, Kanadzie liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 09:42 AM   #36913
volodaaaa

Quote:
This is something I would preserve, as it may have historical interest. Back then laptops were not common things and probaly very few have survived till now.
Indeed. However, it was a property of the company, so she handed it over to her colleague who was used work with the MS Office 95

Yeah, I am also sad about my mobile phones. I am pretty sure that now they could have been a good collectors' pieces. They just got lost in some drawers during moving, etc.

Old September 7th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #36914
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Anyone remembers Windows 3.1x?
I do. I worked a lot with Windows 3. But only after working several years without it ;-) Windows 3.1 was wonderful. However it was no operating system, it run under MS-DOS and had so all the limitations of DOS.
Windows 95 was a very important breakthrough in (surprise) 1995. Still being based on DOS, it was the first real Windows operating system, which had not to be installed under MS DOS and could at least partially break the limits of DOS.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #36915
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

I just remember that I hated win95, it was kinda unstable and usually slow compared to 3.1.
However win98 changed it, it was my favourite win system of all times.
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #36916
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

First computer C-64 in 1988, first PC in 1992 (486-50 MHz with 4 MB RAM and 230 MB HDD).
Anyone remembers fiddling with autoexec.bat and config.sys files so you could start programs or games that needed startup routines in first 640 kB of RAM? Memory Tetris
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #36917
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

Concerning the hard drive discussion...

https://www.sandisk.com/home/memory-...-microsd-400gb

80 000 times more capacity... and how many times smaller?

And think about the home computers from the early 1990s, when not everyone could afford a floppy drive (not to even mention a hard drive), and most people had to load programs from cassettes, same as those for music. From what I have heard, some radio stations in Poland were even broadcasting... computer games, to record on a cassette and load it on the computer.

But I don't remember those times and those computers, my first one was from something like 2001, had 20 GB drive (very big for those times) and ran Windows 98.

And about the operating systems - imagine that Windows XP was issued in 2002! So many years ago. And there are still many places where it's in use. I was recently in a high school, in their only computer lab, which still runs Windows XP. The computers will probably be exchanged in a few months, but until then...

Windows XP was a real success of Microsoft. 15 years from the premiere and still so popular.

Last edited by Kpc21; September 7th, 2017 at 12:37 PM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #36918
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

And think about the home computers from the early 1990s, when not everyone could afford a floppy drive (not to even mention a hard drive), and most people had to load programs from cassettes, same as those for music. From what I have heard, some radio stations in Poland were even broadcasting... computer games, to record on a cassette and load it on the computer.

But I don't remember those times and those computers, my first one was from something like 2001, had 20 GB drive (very big for those times) and ran Windows 98.

And about the operating systems - imagine that Windows XP was issued in 2002! So many years ago. And there are still many places where it's in use. I was recently in a high school, in their only computer lab, which still runs Windows XP. The computers will probably be exchanged in a few months, but until then...

Windows XP was a real success of Microsoft. 15 years from the premiere and still so popular.
However Windows XP isn't supported anymore since 2014, so it means is no longer safe from stuff like viruses, malaware, spyware, etc... I think it's better to install Linux if you have an old computer.
I think it's even illegal to use Windows XP in workplaces who deal with personal data.
Old September 7th, 2017, 01:09 PM   #36919
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

During my life I used Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

I must say, that 98 was perfect as well as XP. I kinda like Win 7, but it was too slow. Furthermore, I looked down on Win 8 and resisted for a very long time to install it, but i had to buy a new computer in 2015 and the choice was between win 8.1 and win 10. I opted for 8.1 and I am satisfied. It is like win 7 but ultrafast.

Old September 7th, 2017, 01:14 PM   #36920
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6779

Well. In this school, the IT guy taking care of those computer, even forbid installing system updates on them, because otherwise, they would become unusable.

Regardless of the lack of support from Microsoft, what can you do with so old computers that they can't run anything newer?

Installing Linux - OK, but modern Linux distributions will also probably have problems with them. I once installed Linux on a very old computer - with Radeon 9200 GPU - even though it was already something like 5-10 years ago and it wasn't so old as it is now. And I had big problems with the repositories. To make it working, I had to downgrade Xorg, which forced downgrading or not updating many other apps. I wouldn't be able to use an up to date version of the system anyway.

Not to mention that the IT teachers in schools usually aren't very good in IT (otherwise they rather wouldn't work as teachers) and while they can more or less use and teach Windows and MS Office, it's often so that they would have problems with Linux and LibreOffice.

The operating systems I have been using personally, are: Windows 98, there were moments with Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Debian, Arch Linux. Now I use Arch Linux. I have Windows 10 installed, but I start it something like once in half a year. When it happens that I must use some non-Linux-compatible software (not working also with Wine), then I start a Windows XP virtual machine.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways