daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2017, 02:53 PM   #36921
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Windows 95 was a very important breakthrough in (surprise) 1995. Still being based on DOS, it was the first real Windows operating system, which had not to be installed under MS DOS and could at least partially break the limits of DOS.
That is a matter of taste. According to my criteria, a real operating system is capable on preemptive multitasking. Others are launchers. W95 was that partially, for 32 bit applications only. The 16 bit applications did, however, run in cooperative multitasking mode only, within a shared address space. Thus, any 16 bit application was able to hog the whole dirty box.

XP was a major step towards a real operating system. However, its virtual memory management was still quite lousy, thus subject to fatal trashing. Win7 was somewhat better, but not much. The memory management got a major upgrade at Win8, which delivered much better throughput for memory-intensive workloads.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #36922
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

My first pc was DOS and and a 20 MB HD. Yes, MB, not GB.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #36923
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

By the way? Do you remember your first internet?
My was dial-up and I was connected on the 4th of December 2002. The connection was limited from 18:00 to 6:00 (00-24h during weekends) and once someone picked up the phone the internet broke down.

I remember I wanted so bad to download one game (Settlers II). The game was 13 MB large and I dowloaded it all day long during a weekend

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #36924
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

Here also dial-up, with a Zoltrix Cobra internal modem, which was really difficult to configure after installing the system.

The phone number in Poland which you had to introduce in the configuration to get connected (which was, actually, a phone number the computer just dialed using the modem) was 0202122. You also had to introduce the login and password, both of which were ppp.

And you paid for the time of being connected like for a normal phone call. Later they changed it and, if I am not mistaken, the "calls" to the Internet late at night costed 50% the normal price.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #36925
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

I experienced internet first time in 1995 on an astronomy campus. Internet was free for academy use. One hour of slow dial-up call at night was about 6 eur in todays money (1000 SIT). In this time you could download various files over BBS ant there were even some real internet pages available (but no forums, news sites etc).
In 1996 we got internet on college and at that time I already took my current email adress. And in 1997 I made my webpage which can still be found in sime internet archives. Coding was done in Windows Notepad as not much else was needed anyway.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #36926
Kpc21

My university still has some parts of its website in a design typical for those times.

See: https://matel.p.lodz.pl/wee/i12zet/et3_eng.html
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #36927
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

I used internet for first time in 1997 at home, when dial-up was introduced justt year before. And the tariff was pretty expensive, and in that time we all used fixed phones, so I had to hurry because there were no calls possible...
Later in 2004 in my country DSL was introduced and today we have optic internet with speeds up to 100mbs download and upload, which is very funny because before 20 years I was always checking the time on the dial-up, mainly afraid of the bill :-)

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #36928
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
My was dial-up and I was connected on the 4th of December 2002. The connection was limited from 18:00 to 6:00 (00-24h during weekends) and once someone picked up the phone the internet broke down.

I remember I wanted so bad to download one game (Settlers II). The game was 13 MB large and I dowloaded it all day long during a weekend
I remember the same thing between 2000 and 2003 circa, except the hour limit (mine was available 24/7, although I had to pay by minute).
Downloading anything heavier than 1MB with 56k connection was very time-consuming and consequently clostly.
I got ADSL in 2003 or 2004.
I still remember when it was difficult to find accurate info about certain things that now produce million of results if typed into Google.
I remember Outlock Express, MSN Messenger, Netlog.
I remember websites with scarse graphic content, as most connections around were slow.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Last edited by italystf; September 7th, 2017 at 08:49 PM.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #36929
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

I downloaded tons of mp3 files at 3 kb/s in the late 1990s. It has cost my parents a lot of money

My internet provider has announced that the cable speed will go up to 200 mbit (400 mbit if you have the most expensive subscription). Upload will be capped at 10% (so 20 or 40 mbit) because they claim that's what the far majority of their users requires at most.

Fiber optic internet rollout has stalled significantly in the Netherlands. Most fiber is only to the hub and not to the home, hence it's not really that fast except for projects where they tore up the street and connected every home. But with the cable speeds going up every year, there is not much demand for fiber optic internet for home users. I mean I can upload a 1 GB video to Youtube in six minutes. It's not that urgent to get it done in 1 minute or less. It's not like you're uploading that kind of data continuously, hence there is not much demand for expensive fiber optic rollout.

Most people don't really need over 200 mbit down right now. Netflix and Youtube stream at like 6 or 7 mbit, so even with multiple devices you can still stream video and download large files at the same time with bandwidth to spare.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 10:13 PM   #36930
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Okay, so, at this point, the Weather Channel (weather.com may be streaming outside the U.S.) is regularly showing pictures of heavy northbound traffic in Florida....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 11:02 PM   #36931
MattiG

Likes (Received): 613

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I work in the IT business. Therefore, I have enjoyed the networking much before it became commodity. Some milestones:

- 1200 bit/s dialup function to the data exchange of the employer to provide home access to a few computers in early 1980's.
- Some experiments to join the Portacom community hosted by QZ in Stockholm in early 1980's. Not a very successful exercise because the lousy X.29 PAD and the congested X.25 packet switching network access.
- I was the one to install the first mainframe TCP/IP software in Finland in late 1980's. We managed to acquire a B Class network still then available, which was a very long-sighted decision. My main VM/SP installation proudly was running at the address 131.207.1.1. The initial Ethernet connection box IBM 8232 was equal to a fridge in size.
- Toll free dial-up access to the office network, with 3270 emulation in 1990s
- Owner of a modern Unix data center with Ethernet switching technology in about 1994
- Home ISDN 2x56 kbits/s in 1999
- Home ADSL since about 2002
- Currently FTTC (Fiber to the Curb) to the nearest street corner and the last remaining few hundred meters over VDSL2 at 50 Mbit/s, upgradeable to 100 Mbit/s.
- The lakeside second home connected over 4G LTE shared via an LTE to Wi-Fi router.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:07 AM   #36932
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I want fiber to the router but got just fiber to the main building box (it's a large residential building)
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #36933
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

I remember using internet for first times with a 14.4 modem (!)

now my new internet company says I'm getting 75 Mbit

I'm somewhat amused, thinking of it, 75 Mbit is slow, but... it's still +/- 5 000 times faster

meanwhile my first PC was IBM PS/2 55SX, circa 1992, 386SX processor, 6 MB RAM, 60 MB hard disk, heady stuff Well not really, it was around 1997 and already it had been thrown away... to me
Old September 8th, 2017, 02:01 AM   #36934
Kpc21

What software were you using for text communication with friends before Facebook with its chat got popular?

Because in Poland, a local program was king, it was called Gadu-Gadu. But it had a Polish language version only and it definitely wasn't used out of Poland, unless someone wanted to contact someone here.

I have heard about ICQ, AIM, I know MSN Messenger active by default in Windows XP (which I was always deactivating because no-one was using it anyway). But what was the program you and your friends were using?
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:04 AM   #36935
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I remember using internet for first times with a 14.4 modem (!)

now my new internet company says I'm getting 75 Mbit

I'm somewhat amused, thinking of it, 75 Mbit is slow, but... it's still +/- 5 000 times faster

meanwhile my first PC was IBM PS/2 55SX, circa 1992, 386SX processor, 6 MB RAM, 60 MB hard disk, heady stuff Well not really, it was around 1997 and already it had been thrown away... to me
I think I had 2400 bps. And I couldn't use the phone at the same time. It was ridiculous.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #36936
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
What software were you using for text communication with friends before Facebook with its chat got popular?

Because in Poland, a local program was king, it was called Gadu-Gadu. But it had a Polish language version only and it definitely wasn't used out of Poland, unless someone wanted to contact someone here.

I have heard about ICQ, AIM, I know MSN Messenger active by default in Windows XP (which I was always deactivating because no-one was using it anyway). But what was the program you and your friends were using?
AOL instant messages. I had a friend who, the second he saw me log on, would send me a "Hi"...which was enough to knock me off-line. I had to tell him to stop it.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Verso liked this post
Old September 8th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #36937
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

Actually, it was a project just to log on and read your e mail. If you should download a n update...hours!
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:10 AM   #36938
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18298

First modem we had was an internal ISA 14.4, then a year later we got an external US Robotics 56k wow In Romania, mIRC was used a lot at the beginnings, after that Yahoo! Messanger. Nowadays I don't think many people still use Yahoo, most are using FB chat or WhatsApp.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #36939
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

cornellá , spain , near the schools

http://estaticos.elperiodico.com/res...4780478553.jpg

https://ep01.epimg.net/politica/imag...rio_normal.jpg

torrelodones

http://www.boredpanda.es/blog/wp-con...-madrid-10.jpg

https://www.blogdehumor.com/wp-conte...original-5.jpg

Penn's Woods liked this post

Last edited by VITORIA MAN; September 8th, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #36940
Kpc21

So... this is what we were using in Poland instead of AOL or Yahoo:

-> The version 6, the first one which got really popular:

The program was created in 2000, with the version 3.0, which was actually evolution of a program integrating SMS gateways of the Polish mobile networks (hence such a number and not 1.0). The version 6.0 was issued in 2003.

Of course, nobody was using it with Windows 7 - the most popular operating system in 2003 was Windows 98, but this version was still common in the times when XP became the most popular Windows version.

This was the sound of a new message coming:

When you were walking around apartment blocks, it wasn't uncommon to hear this sound through the open windows.

And its set of smileys was also quite popular e.g. on different internet forums:

Many people started even to double the ! and ? signs (making !! or ??) while writing on the Internet, because on Gadu-Gadu they were getting converted to those smiley-like animated gifs.

At schools, people were no longer exchanging phone numbers. They were exchanging Gadu-Gadu numbers and everyone used Gadu-Gadu.

-> The version 7, issued in 2005:

Those were the times of the highest popularity of the program. The maximum length of this label under the contact name on the list (so called "description status") got extended and people liked to make them possibly long, or even to include new line signs there (although it wasn't officially supported). which was often annoying.

This version got some multi-media functions, like radio or integration with an early social network created by the authors of Gadu-Gadu. Nobody was really using them, so the program slowly started to be criticized for being overloaded and containing unnecessary features. But most people liked this version anyway.

-> The version 8, issued in 2008:

This version was largely criticized for being overloaded with redundant functions and features and for having many big advertisement banners. It's the time when the popularity of the program started to drop. The authors were trying to force the users to switch to the newer version by introducing longer user numbers (before, they usually consisted of 7 or sometimes even 6 digits, then they introduced 8-digit numbers) unsupported by the older versions.

-> The version 10, issued in 2010 (the number 9 was skipped):

Even more adverts, even more overloaded... Although, supposedly, it was faster. More or less then, they also introduced versions for Linux and Mac OS (the users of those systems had to use alternative clients before), but... those alternative clients were anyway better.

-> The version 11, issued in 2012:

The program was commonly referred to by people with the acronym GG, so the producer changed its official name to... GG. But in 2012, people were already commonly using Facebook for communication, so the meaning of the program decreased much. Many didn't install it any more.

-> The version 12, issued in 2013:

No screenshot because it looks almost like the version 11... This is the current version, the program isn't developed so rapidly any more. Because everyone uses Facebook now.

There were also quite many people using Gadu-Gadu by means of alternative programs. The most popular one was Tlen.pl (polish for oxygen). It was first issued in 2001. The version I remember and I was using most is the version 5, issued probably in 2005:

An interesting and useful function was integration with the e-mail box in one of Polish internet portals - o2. The program was displaying notifications about a new e-mail immediately once it came and when you pressed the e-mail button in the top, it was opening your mailbox in the window of the program, without the need of logging in.

It had also a software module for chats integrated. The program had its own network, based on modified XMPP protocol, but most people were using it for communication with Gadu-Gadu users.

The next version, 6, issued in 2009, looked better:

It looked well and even though it had some functions unused by anyone, it was more lightweight. Another big advantage of Tlen was that it had API allowing people to create plug-ins. Really many plug-ins for Tlen were created which allowed extending its capabilities in many ways.

This version is still the official stable version, but the program is not developed anymore.

In 2010, the beta version 7 (rewritten from scratch, available also for Linux and Mac OS, supported also bare XMPP protocol) was issued:

However, it never got finished. And in 2016, the producer of the program closed the servers of its own network. It's still possible to use it for Gadu-Gadu or (the 7 version) for XMPP.

Among Linux users, the most popular client supporting the Gadu-Gadu network in the times of its highest popularity, was Kadu:

But I am using just Pidgin, which also has support for Gadu-Gadu, as well as for Facebook Chat.

This was the communication over Internet in Poland before Facebook.

Tags
highways, motorways