daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 8th, 2017, 02:11 PM   #36941
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I briefly used ICQ then switched to MSN Messenger. It was then replaced by Skype but with the rise of WhatsApp fewer people used Skype. Over the past 3 years I only used Skype for 3 frequent contacts, but now all switched to WhatsApp. I do not use Facebook Messenger on my phone. I don't really like Facebook. Too intrusive. I really did not like the fact that Facebook took over WhatsApp. Google and Facebook eliminate all competition that way, they have too much power over the internet.

On my PC I run the WhatsApp web client. It continuously synchronizes with the phone app so you need a data connection on your phone to be active. I found wifi to be unusuable with WhatsApp as it would frequently go into hibernation mode and get messages like 20 minutes after they were sent. I don't have such problem with 4G. With a 10 GB/month data plan I hardly ever use wifi anymore.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #36942
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I was also a user of MSN Messenger. And like many others I now use Whatsapp (which I hispanize to Guasap). I've also fled away from WiFi connection once I got the 5 GB/month plan I currently have.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #36943
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6782

WhatsApp is not popular in Poland, so if I use it, then it's for communication with people abroad.

What I usually use now is Facebook Messenger.

The problem with WhatsApp is that when used on computer, it connects with the servers through your smartphone, so:
1) your smartphone must be online (which quickly drains battery, especially with wifi),
2) it never works well, for example when the smartphone locks and dims the screen, it enables some kind of energy saving feature, which disconnects the WhatsApp on PC.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #36944
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

At first my generation used site called pokec.sk* (pokec = chat in Slovak). It was more like chat forum than face2face communicator, but there was a possibility to write so called "quick message" tom someone. Generally, it had became the first free on-line dating service in Slovakia.

I guess many relationships were made there It was the first dating service I upload my photo to get to know someone. Indeed, I was on several dates with girls after chatting there.

Then, I think in 2004 - 2005 the ICQ became popular. Almost everyone has an ICQ number. I knew mine very well.

As for me, Facebook messenger ruined the ICQ and now most of the people use this. There is some Skype minority or some people use WhatsApp. But Facebook messenger is the top.

Btw. I never liked MS Messenger. No one to text to and it was very slow.

* it still exists, cheaply impersonating the Facebook, though 70 % of profiles are fake. No one serious uses it any more.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 04:30 PM   #36945
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
The problem with WhatsApp is that when used on computer, it connects with the servers through your smartphone, so:
1) your smartphone must be online (which quickly drains battery, especially with wifi),
2) it never works well, for example when the smartphone locks and dims the screen, it enables some kind of energy saving feature, which disconnects the WhatsApp on PC.
For 2: this problem doesn't exist when you are on a cellular network (4G). But you need to have a data plan that is sufficient for extensive WhatsApp web usage.

Though WhatsApp data usage is not really that huge unless you have a large amount of hyper active chats. Photos are drastically compressed.
Old September 8th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #36946
Kpc21

There is one more thing, which was popular in Poland quite shortly just before Facebook.

nasza-klasa.pl ("our class").

The idea of the portal was to connect old school friends with each other. You could add yourself to your class from school and then upload your class photos or talk on a class forum. Many old school classes made meetings "after years" thanks to that.

Of course, it was also commonly used by contemporary school classes as a platform of exchanging information. We were using it in such a way Now it's typical to use a Facebook group for that (or a WhatsApp chat, but rarely in Poland).

But the portal started to copy more and more features from Facebook, in addition, making them always more childish, so finally people just switched to Facebook.
Old September 8th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #36947
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
For 2: this problem doesn't exist when you are on a cellular network (4G). But you need to have a data plan that is sufficient for extensive WhatsApp web usage.

Though WhatsApp data usage is not really that huge unless you have a large amount of hyper active chats. Photos are drastically compressed.
This has a downside: photos send via whatsapp looks bad on a PC.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #36948
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
This has a downside: photos send via whatsapp looks bad on a PC.
I think the widespread usage of internet on cell phones has drastically degraded the content on internet forums and social media. Typing long posts is cumbersome on a phone so forums many move from researched posts with links and photos, to one-line chats.

Also, it's difficult to see the real quality of a photo on a cell phone. I sometimes post a photo on a forum that looks reasonable on a phone but turns out terrible on a desktop environment. Social media apps mostly compress photos drastically to reduce bandwidth. Facebook uploads significantly compressed photos by default, you have to switch HD on manually which evidently not many people do.

It's just cringey what kind of poor quality photos are posted on internet forums or social media in this time and age of everything being HD and cell phones being capable of taking better quality photos than late 2000s pocket cameras.
Old September 10th, 2017, 03:14 PM   #36949
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

My wedding car :-)

bogdymol, Attus, Kpc21, x-type, Grotlaufen and 2 others liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #36950
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

So thanks to my new car (van, actually) I found the only reason I want a GPS: To keep track of the municipalities I pass through . I have some "special" towns, and as such things like "A-21 (Noain (Valle de Elorz))" or "A-2 (Ariza)" have already stuck in my head.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #36951
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Hurricane-Aftermath Highlight of the Day, Roads category:

A reporter on the Weather Channel, standing at an intersection in Clearwater, Florida, remarked that apparently three-quarters of the people he's seen driving through are unaware that an intersection where the traffic lights aren't working (due to power outages) is to be treated as uncontrolled. People are "just blowing through."

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #36952
Kpc21

In Europe, in such a situation you just follow the vertical signage, which usually indicates which road has priority and which one must yield.

If one of the roads at an intersection is definitely a more important one, then it will have priority in case the traffic lights are down.
Old September 11th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #36953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Isn't Pinellas County one of the most dangerous places to drive in the United States? I've read some stories about that, there many multi-lane urban arterials but few freeways. Lots of high-speed collisions at traffic signals.
Old September 12th, 2017, 08:47 AM   #36954
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

So, I was reading about pluricentric languages on Wikipedia, which led me to Canadian English, where I found this:

Transportation[edit]
The terms highway (for example, Trans-Canada Highway), expressway (Central Canada, as in the Gardiner Expressway) and freeway (Sherwood Park Freeway, Edmonton) are often used to describe various high speed roads with varying levels of access control. Generally, but not exclusively, highway refers to any provincially funded road regardless of its access control. Often such roads will be numbered. Similar to the US, the terms expressway and freeway are often used interchangeably to refer to controlled-access highways, that is, divided highways with access only at grade-separated interchanges (for example, a 400-Series Highway in Ontario).
However, expressway may also refer to a limited-access road that has control of access but has at-grade junctions, railway crossings (for example, the Harbour Expressway in Thunder Bay.) Sometimes the term Parkway is also used (for example, the Hanlon Parkway in Guelph). In Saskatchewan, the term 'grid road' is used to refer to minor highways or rural roads, usually gravel, referring to the 'grid' upon which they were originally designed. In Quebec, freeways and expressways are called autoroutes.

In Alberta, the generic Trail is often used to describe a freeway, expressway or major urban street (for example, Deerfoot Trail, Macleod Trail or Crowchild Trail in Calgary, Yellowhead Trail in Edmonton). The British term motorway is not used. The American terms turnpike and tollway for a toll road are not common. The term throughway or thruway was used for first tolled limited-access highways (for example, the Deas Island Throughway, now Highway 99, from Vancouver, BC, to Blaine, Washington, USA or the Saint John Throughway (Highway 1) in Saint John, NB), but this term is not common anymore. In everyday speech, when a particular roadway is not being specified, the term highway is generally or exclusively used.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 12th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #36955
italystf

I'm the only one who sees dating websites ads on SSC? And I didn't even google such things recently.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #36956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You don't need to 'Google' such things. They can create a complete profile of you due to trackers and beacons being installed on extremely large amounts of websites, basically everything with Google AdSense installed, which almost any website. Even when you're not using google.com / google.it, they can still track everything you do on the web. The same accounts for Facebook, many websites have Facebook plugins installed (share, like buttons) so they are linked to your Facebook account even with Facebook not actively running.

But that is just the web browing side of it. Facebook also knows which physical shops you visit. Most shops nowadays employ wifi trackers to keep track of movement of shoppers through the store, but they also know which shoppers do not enter the store. In fact, it even works with wifi turned off because the phone still sends the MAC address, which they can track.

There are also accusations that Facebook listens in on conversations around the phone. Which are then used to show ads relevant to that conversation. There doesn't appear to be hard proof but more than once I've seen ads on Facebook about things I discussed with colleagues just before. So even when you're not browsing the internet they can still create a profile. It's scary.

There is no privacy anymore. Nothing on the internet is free, you buy it by disclosing all your personal information. You are the product.
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #36957
italystf

Snow in the Alps as low as 1,200m today:

https://www.3bmeteo.com/giornale-met...--foto--161188
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:55 PM   #36958
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You don't need to 'Google' such things. They can create a complete profile of you due to trackers and beacons being installed on extremely large amounts of websites, basically everything with Google AdSense installed, which almost any website. Even when you're not using google.com / google.it, they can still track everything you do on the web. The same accounts for Facebook, many websites have Facebook plugins installed (share, like buttons) so they are linked to your Facebook account even with Facebook not actively running.

But that is just the web browing side of it. Facebook also knows which physical shops you visit. Most shops nowadays employ wifi trackers to keep track of movement of shoppers through the store, but they also know which shoppers do not enter the store. In fact, it even works with wifi turned off because the phone still sends the MAC address, which they can track.

There are also accusations that Facebook listens in on conversations around the phone. Which are then used to show ads relevant to that conversation. There doesn't appear to be hard proof but more than once I've seen ads on Facebook about things I discussed with colleagues just before. So even when you're not browsing the internet they can still create a profile. It's scary.

There is no privacy anymore. Nothing on the internet is free, you buy it by disclosing all your personal information. You are the product.
I once ordered a pizza - by phone, pre smartphones - and the next ad I saw on my computer was for Domino's.
I assumed it was a coincidence....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 12th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #36959
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Snow in the Alps as low as 1,200m today:

https://www.3bmeteo.com/giornale-met...--foto--161188
It's too soon!

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 12th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #36960
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I once ordered a pizza - by phone, pre smartphones - and the next ad I saw on my computer was for Domino's.
I assumed it was a coincidence....
In the pre-smartphone era it was probably a coincidence. Now, it wouldn't be.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Tags
highways, motorways