daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 14th, 2017, 11:41 PM   #36981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

That's when you'll end up in Putgarten if you want to take the ferry to Rødbyhavn Or a village in the Pyrenees instead of the Alps. True GPS stories

There's nothing wrong with a little planning before a long trip instead of just entering a name in the GPS.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:33 AM   #36982
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

I always plan my trips beforehand. But now that I have a GPS (which came with the van I now drive) I only use it to keep track of the municipalities I pass. Now I know from Huesca to Pamplona via the shortest route (old N-240, part of it now A-132) one passes through the following municipalities: Alerre, La Sotonera, Loscorrales, Ayerbe, Murillo de Gallego, Las Peñas de Riglos, Bailo, Puente la Reina de Jaca, Canal de Berdun, Sigües, Yesa, Liedena, Lumbier, Urraul Bajo (i.e. Lower Urraul), Ibargoiti, Monreal and Noain (Valle de Elorz, i.e. Elortz Valley).
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #36983
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's when you'll end up in Putgarten if you want to take the ferry to Rødbyhavn Or a village in the Pyrenees instead of the Alps. True GPS stories

There's nothing wrong with a little planning before a long trip instead of just entering a name in the GPS.
Or tourists lost in Karlovac, Croatia, asking where's the beach (they booked a hotel in Karlobag, near Zadar).
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 12:46 AM   #36984
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Or tourists lost in Karlovac, Croatia, asking where's the beach (they booked a hotel in Karlobag, near Zadar).
there is beach in Karlovac on river, tough.

marciomaco liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #36985
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6766

Truly speaking, GPS is quite useful while navigating in an unknown city. Or on village roads which usually aren't signed well (and by town names only, without any numbers). But on highways and national roads it's not really necessary. And the road numbers are quite useful, because it sometimes happens that there is no consequence in the directional town and it suddenly changes e.g. because someone else manages the road or the sign was put in different time.

There are people, like me, who just enjoy route planning. I use automatic route planners - but as a helping tool, not as a magic box where I put the target town and I strictly follow what it says. I don't have a GPS device and I rarely use the sat nav function in Android Google Maps (more often I just look at the map and at the traffic congestion on it) - but if I were using it then I would introduce the route planned by myself into it instead of relying of its automatics.

The municipalities are in Poland indicated by road signs. Except for motorways.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #36986
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

The only time I've used GPS was on my trip to Europe last year, when my rental car had it. (Normally you have to pay extra for it, and I wouldn't do that, but it was there. I got a better car than I'd reserved.) It was helpful in cities when you already had an idea of the layout and where you needed to turn, and it was helpful outsides sort of to confirm where I was at any given time. I mean if you basically know you're trying to follow the N-whatever, but you've just passed through a complicated intersection and want to confirm you took the right turn.

I've occasionally thought it would be helpful to have a display showing weather (on an analogy with traffic conditions); if you're driving around on a day when there are scattered thunderstorms, it's nice to know you're about to hit a heavy one, or how long it's likely to last.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:07 AM   #36987
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Such indicents can be avoided by applying a minimal degree of common sense. A navigator and common sense are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
That was not the question at all. The question was whether it is reasonable to navigate by memorizing road numbers, by control cities or assisted by a navigator.

A navigator is quite a nice assistant even when making ad hoc trips. If you find something interesting en route, and want to take a detour, the navigator is tireless to recalculate a route to the final destination.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #36988
Kpc21

Nobody says "navigator" for a navigation device in English Navigator is a person who holds a traditional map (an online one e.g. on a tablet would also do it) and tells you to turn left/right etc. But not his automatic version

I am not sure about the most popular English terms, but I think people say "GPS navigation" (which is not really precise as those devices may also use other GPS-like systems, I know that some smartphones, for example, make use of the Russian GLONASS in addition to the American GPS; China and EU also have such systems) or "satellite navigation", often shorted to "sat nav".

Modern navigation devices or apps on smartphones, which have a connection to the Internet and can get live information on the traffic situation, may be also useful in that they will detect a congestion on the road and send you on a detour.
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:27 AM   #36989
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Nobody says "navigator" for a navigation device in English
You need to tell that to Garmin, which uses an incorrect term "navigator" in their English website, and express your deepest condemnation.

Kpc21 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:40 AM   #36990
italystf

Interesting photo showing 6 out of 7 islands of the Aeolian archipelago taken from Lamezia Terme (Calabria), in a particular light condition at dusk (date 30-03-04).
Filicudi, the most distant island, is around 170 km away.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...Illustrata.jpg
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Highway89, g.spinoza liked this post
Old September 15th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #36991
ChrisZwolle
Road user

QR

A QR code forest near Baoding, China

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.7150.../data=!3m1!1e3

Via: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20..._136609499.htm
Old September 15th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #36992
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Interesting photo showing 6 out of 7 islands of the Aeolian archipelago taken from Lamezia Terme (Calabria), in a particular light condition at dusk (date 30-03-04).
Filicudi, the most distant island, is around 170 km away.
That's too close. They have photographed the Barre des Ecrins from... Spain . OK, actually from the Finestrelles peak which lies at the Spain/France border, no less than 440 km away from the Ecrins: https://beyondhorizons.eu/2016/08/03...ecrins-443-km/
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 11:51 AM   #36993
italystf

Are they considering to reopen the 'International border crossings' thread?
I know that it has the periodic problem of nationalistic crap, but it's also full of intresting photos and discussions.

Penn's Woods, Junkie, marciomaco liked this post
Old September 17th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #36994
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 789

I agree. We should keep that thread clean if they decide to open it, and make sure we are on topic. There are unlimited discussions which are very interesting there... Recently we also talked about visa issues, passports and traveling things that are very closely related to the thread topic name. But we also talked off-topic so we must behave next time

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #36995
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

[blatant suck-up mode on]Our moderators are very patient.[blatant suck-up mode off]
Sometimes they even participate in the off-topics.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:32 AM   #36996
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2102

During my July vacation in Sütirol/Alto Adige, I overtook a car on a straight road with 50 km/h limit, but during the process, I reached and surpassed 90 km/h. While I was completing the process, I saw a speed camera and thought "ok, I'm toast". More than 40 km/h difference means a fine between 500 and 2000 euro, 6 points taken from the license, and license suspended up to 6 months.

So when I found in my mailbox a green mail (it is the color of the envelopes of "atti giudiziari", so tickets, notices of investigation, every communication in connection with justice) I was more than sure it was that. When the postman delivered it I wasn't home, so I had to retrieve it from the post office.

There was something off, though. In Italy there is a webpage called "Il Portale dell'Automobilista" (Driver's gate), connected to Ministry of Transportation, where you can check the status of your license in real-time. When I checked, all my license points were still there (26 in total).

So when today I went to the post office, I found the ticket. It was issued by a municipality in Südtirol/Alto Adige, but not the one where I thought I made the offense. The ticket was for doing 37 km/h on a 30 km/h zone, which, considering the rounding and the tolerance, became 32 km/h.
Fine for doing 2 irrelevant km/h more than the limit, at such low speed? 56,40 €.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #36997
bogdymol
bogdymod

One of the stongest storms (or maybe the strongest storm in history) was yesterday in the western area of Romania, including in Arad (city where I come from). Here's a video from a main road, during mid-day:

A lot of trees fell on cars, roofs of many buildings were blown away, I've seen pictures of church towers beeing collapsed, power supply is still off in many regions (my grandmother doesn't have electricity since yesterday), mobile networks are also off in many regions, and 8 people have died.

My parents for example were enjoying their Sunday visiting the ruins of an old fortress and walking through a forest when the storm started. At the fortress the weather was nice, mostly sunny, but while walking through the forest the storm started, and they had nowhere to hide. Luckily everything was ok, but many trees in the forest were broken. Picture taken by my father during the storm:

It was a very extreme weather condition. The storm only lasted for 10-15 minutes, but the issue was that nobody announced the population that it will come, so the people were completely unprepared for that. It formed suddenly.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #36998
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Holy crap, that looks like a fullblown microburst.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #36999
Kpc21

We had such one in Poland a month ago. Whole forests got dig out with the roots.

By the way, were the wipers not working in the car from the video? Or did he not turned them on fearing they can get blown off by the wind? I know that in such a weather there would by no visibility anyway (I remember such a storm in a car, of course, not so strong as this one, I was a passenger - so strong that we had to stop because the wipers were not enough), but they would still give some improvement e.g. before he stopped.

Actually, the one from Poland from before a month - at least in the form seen from my house - was very strong but also not SO strong as this one. Directly next to my house - maybe not, but 500 meters away, a few big trees in front of a culture centre got fallen. Or here: https://goo.gl/maps/7ghQKgGJjEt I could still see some roots of a fallen tree on the ground a week ago. Those electric and telecom wires were, of course, on the ground.

And it doesn't look very strong here though:

But it did much damage.

Other parts of Poland had a similar storm about which it was said much more (so it probably brought more damage) 2 days later.

Last edited by Kpc21; September 18th, 2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #37000
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Such events are often declared to be tornadoes by the media, but they are usually a downburst. Those can be very damaging. Tornadoes do occur in Europe (including stronger 'American type' tornadoes) but stronger tornadoes are fairly rare. Apart from waterspouts and short-lived tornadoes, they only occur infrequently, for example in France, Northern Italy, Germany, Poland and Russia.

Tags
highways, motorways