daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 18th, 2017, 11:43 PM   #37001
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

Meanwhile in my hometown, one cross fell of the Orthodox cathedral
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 18th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #37002
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6784

3,5 years ago a cross has fallen off from an evangelic church. Because it's next to one of the more important streets and main tram route in the city, they had to close the traffic on it that time, because the cross was hanging off from the church and the firefighters couldn't remove it because of strong wind.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #37003
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojaA View Post

In terms of navigating non-motorways it's quite popular in Germany to use the numbering of highways (but then again not of local roads), because people usually don't know significant towns along the way. So if one would advise someone for a route to Meppen from Hamburg, one will probably say that the other person should leave the A1 at Cloppenburg and that he has to follow the B213 and later the B402, because nobody really knows Haselünne as a control-town.
Just tell them to make a left turn at Bielefeld
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #37004
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Meanwhile in my hometown, one cross fell of the Orthodox cathedral
Lidl strikes again

cinxxx, rudiwien, bogdymol, Attus liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:16 PM   #37005
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

A great question from the TV show Who wants to be a millionaire in Germany ("Wer wird Millionär?"). I try to translate it :-)

Should the star of Fast and Furious movies in real life be fined for speeding, could we have
A: Electromobility
B: Enviromental zones in cities
C: Lower emission rates
D: Ban for Diesel

x-type, Kpc21 liked this post
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #37006
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

That brings to mind something I've been meaning to ask: with more and more local requirements in Europe relating to car use, or even prohibitions on certain cars (Umweltplaketten, bans on older models, toll vignettes...), I think there is a risk of unknowingly violating some rule or other for visitors driving rentals, especially internationally. (I remember trying to find a breathalyzer in Flanders when I was about to cross into France. Had no idea what to call it in Dutch of course. I never did find one and ended up spending a week in France without one, not that I was ever stopped...) I expect a rental company to supply everything you'd need of that sort for the country you're renting the car in - whether it's breathalyzers in France or Umweltplaketten in Germany or toll vignettes in countries that have those - but not necessarily for the country next door you're planning to take the car to. So I'm imagining getting into trouble driving a Dutch-plated rental into the Umweltplakette zone of a German city, that sort of thing.
Europeans driving their own cars into other countries will have the same sort of issues, I imagine.
Thoughts?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #37007
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

My parents visited me this summer and they had to buy the Umweltplakette. Since they were arriving Saturday afternoon where not many places would have been open to buy it, they had to get it at an ÖAMTC place in Austria, paying double the price of course...

I drove to France few months ago. Totally forgot about the breathalyzer thing and just drove there without. Wasn't stopped. Only realized about the issue the next day
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #37008
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

The starting point, it seems to me, is knowing what things of that sort you'll need. Is there one site you can find all the rules? (And if a rental company rents you a car that you won't be able to use in some places, although I'd guess that doesn't happen much....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 20th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #37009
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Actually, in Europe, there are many cases where renting a car will not allow you to drive to some other countries. Or you would have to pay more for that. In other cases you won't have to pay anything. It can be really different depending on the country
Old September 20th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #37010
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
That brings to mind something I've been meaning to ask: with more and more local requirements in Europe relating to car use, or even prohibitions on certain cars (Umweltplaketten, bans on older models, toll vignettes...), I think there is a risk of unknowingly violating some rule or other for visitors driving rentals, especially internationally. (I remember trying to find a breathalyzer in Flanders when I was about to cross into France. Had no idea what to call it in Dutch of course. I never did find one and ended up spending a week in France without one, not that I was ever stopped...) I expect a rental company to supply everything you'd need of that sort for the country you're renting the car in - whether it's breathalyzers in France or Umweltplaketten in Germany or toll vignettes in countries that have those - but not necessarily for the country next door you're planning to take the car to. So I'm imagining getting into trouble driving a Dutch-plated rental into the Umweltplakette zone of a German city, that sort of thing.
Europeans driving their own cars into other countries will have the same sort of issues, I imagine.
Thoughts?
It's really unusual how these regulations are being applied particularly considering the existence of the EU and its willingness to "force" common treatment even going so far as to eliminate cellular phone roaming fees for example. In North America by example, the equipment of your car only needs to meet the requirements of the place where it is registered, someone with an Ontario or Texas (or German!)-registered car can drive in the winter on summer tyres in Quebec where a winter tyre law is in effect (or likewise, Quebecers can use their studded tyres in Ontario where they are banned), and certainly any "unweltplakette" style regulation would only apply to the particular residents... Like you say, it makes travel for business or pleasure in other jurisdictions unnecessarily hard and an opportunity for revenue generation.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #37011
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6784

What's a point of having a breathalyzer in your car? Those for home use are anyway not certified and may lie, then the police checks you with their one and you have a problem.

I have heard about cases when someone drove (!) to a police station and asked for a breathalyzer check to know if he can drive... Which would be a good idea if he didn't drive there But, at least in one such case, the person lost his driving license.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:14 AM   #37012
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
What's a point of having a breathalyzer in your car?
For when you're so drunk that you can't remember how many drinks you've had
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:44 AM   #37013
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
What's a point of having a breathalyzer in your car? Those for home use are anyway not certified and may lie, then the police checks you with their one and you have a problem.

I have heard about cases when someone drove (!) to a police station and asked for a breathalyzer check to know if he can drive... Which would be a good idea if he didn't drive there But, at least in one such case, the person lost his driving license.
Jeremy Clarkson - and this is how I heard of it - believed it was the French trying to annoy British people.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 20th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #37014
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
Actually, in Europe, there are many cases where renting a car will not allow you to drive to some other countries. Or you would have to pay more for that. In other cases you won't have to pay anything. It can be really different depending on the country
If memory serves, I had to tell the renter, when I picked the car up, what countries I was planning to drive in.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:42 AM   #37015
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
If memory serves, I had to tell the renter, when I picked the car up, what countries I was planning to drive in.
Where did you rent it from?
I always check the renting conditions before doing the reservation and there is always a list of allowed countries, list not allowed, if you have to tell the renter, etc.
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #37016
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19412

I've driven probably 10,000+ kilometers in France in the last three years. I never bothered about the breathalyzer.

Unlike the U.S., European police doesn't really pull people over on the highway unless there is some obvious and blatant violation like Moroccans having their roof overloaded with junk. The chances of getting a ticket for missing equipment is extremely low, unless you maybe cross an active border check.

I doubt if they really crack down on the German environmental sticker if you're just passing through or park in an underground parking structure. It seems to me the biggest chance for getting a ticket for not having the 'Umweltplakette' is if you're parked on the street where it stands out you do not have a sticker.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:49 AM   #37017
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Where did you rent it from?
I always check the renting conditions before doing the reservation and there is always a list of allowed countries, list not allowed, if you have to tell the renter, etc.
Old September 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM   #37018
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Quote:
What's a point of having a breathalyzer in your car?
There is no point, it's a typical case of symptom control instead of tackling the origin of the problem, to spare the mighty French alcohol lobby.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:06 AM   #37019
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

In Italy there is no obligation to have first-aid kit in your car, while in Austria there is... so I bought one - overpriced - on a rest station near the border.

I agree with Chris that very rarely people are pulled over just for checks, and it is unlikely to be fined for not having some equipment if you come from another country, but I like to be tidy and in order so I got one.
I must admit, though, that I totally forgot about the breathalyzer when I drove in France last time. I just checked on the internet and it seems that the law imposing the breathalyzer in your car was implemented in 2012 and lifted in 2013, so now there is no imposition any more.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #37020
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

In Romania having a fire extinguisher is compulsory, not in Germany...
Also the number of reflectory vests or triangles differs from country to country.

Tags
highways, motorways