daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2017, 08:39 AM   #37141
bogdymol
bogdymod

I have seen large € notes: 200€ (a couple of times) and 500€ (once or twice... they are huge in size). However, they are not commonly used, and I have also seen in some shops or gas stations signs that they do not accept them, or that, before refueling, you should ask if you can use them as they reserve the right not to accept them.

In Romania we also have 200 RON (~43€) and 500 RON (~108€) banknotes. The 200 RON banknote I had a few times, it's rare but not that rare. The 500 RON one is indeed rare, but once a year or so I see one. The issue with these is that you cannot use them at small shops or small businesses for low-value shopping as they will refuze them on the ground that they cannot give you change, or that if they give you they won't have change (smaller bills remaining) for the next customers.

When I travel to the UK I usually take from an ATM £100 note, but I always get it in £20 and £10. I've never seen a £50 note. What pisses me off are the pound coins, which make no sense, so I always get stuck having a lot of them in my wallet. The solution: if I buy anything from the airport before leaving (like a bottle of water), I use the automatic check-out and I put in there all the coins I have.

€ 1 & 2 cents coins: I have a small box at home where I put all the excess coins I have in my wallet, from time to time (often also the 5, 10, 20, 50 cent coins, and a few times even a few 1 & 2 € coins as I had too many). The bank that I use has a coin counter machine which is free to use for their clients, so when my box will fill up I will just take it there, they will count automatically my coins, and put that money into my account. Simple. In UK I have seen such machines at supermarkets, they give you back cash (as much as possible, or large coins), but they charge you up to 15% for that.

In Hungary they withdrew the 1 and 2 Forint coins due to their very low value (1 Forint = 0,0032 Euro), but the prices are still displayed to the final 1 Forint. At check-out, if you pay by card they will take the exact amount, but if you pay by cash they will automatically round it to the nearest 5 Forint (eg 118 Forint will be 120 Forint, but 117 Forint will be 115 Forint). Seems fair enough.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 1st, 2017, 09:51 AM   #37142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
I can imagine that your supermarkets do not have prices of products ending with .99 but rather with .95 instead - but what if you buy products with prices per kg or per 100 g, or e.g. if you are paying at a gas station? Do they always round the price to the accuracy of 0.05 EUR, even though it's possible to pay exactly if you have those 1/2 cents coins? What if the price is, let's say, 1.98 EUR, you are able to pay exactly so much with coins, but they round the price up to 2 EUR? Are you forced to pay 2 EUR or can you pay exactly 1.98 EUR?
Supermarket prices are displayed up to 1 cent, e.g. € 0.89 for a product. If you pay cash, they will round it to the nearest 5 cents. If you pay with card, you pay the exact amount.

So € 10.48 becomes € 10.50 cash but remains € 10.48 if you pay by card.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 10:29 AM   #37143
cougar1989

Likes (Received): 103

I had very often 200€ notes in my hands. 500€ notes not so often. It is very rare that I need 500€ notes. All in all 500€ notes will be not more printed soon.
When I need 200€ or 500€ notes I must go to the bank counter. At the ATM I get only until 100€.
I would found it good, when all Eurocountries would abolish the 1 and 2 Cent coins.
cougar1989 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 10:30 AM   #37144
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Supermarket prices are displayed up to 1 cent, e.g. € 0.89 for a product. If you pay cash, they will round it to the nearest 5 cents. If you pay with card, you pay the exact amount.
I presume the rounding applies to the total sum, not to each individual product?
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 10:36 AM   #37145
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1989 View Post
I had very often 200€ notes in my hands. 500€ notes not so often. It is very rare that I need 500€ notes. All in all 500€ notes will be not more printed soon.
When I need 200€ or 500€ notes I must go to the bank counter. At the ATM I get only until 100€.
I would found it good, when all Eurocountries would abolish the 1 and 2 Cent coins.
I believe the last time I have touched a note, was in early August. Finland is quite a cashless area. Many shops do not even accept 100, 200 or 500 euro notes.
Old October 1st, 2017, 11:04 AM   #37146
piotr71

Quote:
For us in the Netherlands it's strange to observe how Germany is clinging to cash so much. But not only the Netherlands, debit / credit card usage is widespread in many European countries, also for smaller amounts of money. I've seen many people in France using their card for payments under € 10 in the supermarket.

In the Netherlands many company cafeterias, vending machines and parking meters do not accept cash anymore.

Contactless payment in particular is helpful, it greatly reduces the amount of waiting time, but I've noticed that the transaction requires more time in some other countries. I used contactless payment on the Sanifair system on a German rest area and it took about 7-8 seconds to process the payment. In the Netherlands, contactless payment is instantly.

Contactless payment is also safer, nobody can peek at your PIN and you don't need to touch any unsanitary typepads that everyone uses.
Well, interestingly Visa and Mastercard are not acceptable in some places in NL (I'd like to say in many places, but not sure if it's that common) For instance: recently, I was not able to pay for my order in "Witte Stein" restaurant situated right on the border with Germany. I tried to use 5 different Visa & Mastercard credit, debit and business cards, none of them got through. Closest cash machin was located 3,4 kilometres in Holland, but there is no motor access from German side of the border, where I parked my vehicle. We had to wait for my cousin to come with her German "Maestro". I also unsuccessfully attempted to pay for electronic cigarettes in one of the supermarkets in Venlo. Luckily, cash machin was just behind the corner.
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:44 PM   #37147
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I presume the rounding applies to the total sum, not to each individual product?
Correctly presumed
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:49 PM   #37148
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
In Romania we also have 200 RON (~43€) and 500 RON (~108€) banknotes. The 200 RON banknote I had a few times, it's rare but not that rare. The 500 RON one is indeed rare, but once a year or so I see one.
So same as in Poland. It's easy to compare thanks to the comfortable exchange rate: 1 PLN = approximately 1 RON.

By the way... what's the history of the name of your currency (and the Bulgarian one too) which means "lion"?

Quote:
So € 10.48 becomes € 10.50 cash but remains € 10.48 if you pay by card.
And can you pay exactly 10.48 EUR by cash if you have some 1 or 2 cent coins?
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:51 PM   #37149
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
And can you pay exactly 10.48 EUR by cash if you have some 1 or 2 cent coins?
Yes you can. 1 and 2 cent coints remain legal tender and shops are obliged to accept them. However in practice almost nobody uses them. Some people just throw those coins away after a vacation abroad.
Old October 1st, 2017, 12:54 PM   #37150
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
So same as in Poland. It's easy to compare thanks to the comfortable exchange rate: 1 PLN = approximately 1 RON.
Yes, that works out quite well. I am planning to travel to Poland at the end of the year and, while doing some research, it's very easy to understand the local prices for various things (hotel, car parking, entrance fee, road toll etc.) as it's the same as the Romanian currency.

Quote:
By the way... what's the history of the name of your currency (and the Bulgarian one too) which means "lion"?
I never thought at that. Wikipedia says:

Quote:
The name of the currency means "lion", and is derived from the Dutch thaler (leeuwendaalder / lion thaler/dollar).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Kpc21 liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:17 PM   #37151
Kpc21

Yes, when I traveled to Romania, I also could easily treat the prices in a local Lidl as if they were in PLN
Old October 1st, 2017, 01:56 PM   #37152
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Guys have you ever seen a 200€ banknote? Except a picture of it. I always get 100 or 500 € dispersed from atm.
oh, the yellow beauty i have. i have searched exclusively for them for the purpose of wedding present twice. i was successfull in local bank, but they had to go to the safe/treasury to get them because I was insisting.

Tenjac liked this post
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:31 PM   #37153
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

€ 500 are almost an A5 paper (exaggeration)

They don't fit in any reasonably sized wallet, even the vertical ones like the one I use. You need an envelope to fit them inside.
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:32 PM   #37154
ChrisZwolle
Road user

€ 500 bills fit well into suitcases. Especially large stacks. Which is why they're going to cease production of them.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old October 1st, 2017, 02:46 PM   #37155
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

They could also simply print them smaller. Lol
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:15 PM   #37156
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post

although this paper one became very obsolete. I am not sure if it is valid anymore, I haven't seen it for years.
It is still valid but it is extremely rare. The same as 25 HRK coins.
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 03:40 PM   #37157
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenjac View Post
It is still valid but it is extremely rare. The same as 25 HRK coins.
25 are numismatic coins, not regular.
Old October 1st, 2017, 04:40 PM   #37158
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Well, interestingly Visa and Mastercard are not acceptable in some places in NL (I'd like to say in many places, but not sure if it's that common).
Last summer, no one of the Albert Heijn foodstores we visited accepted the credit/debit MasterCard combo card issued by Danske Bank. In other shops and parking machines no problem.

AH does not accept any credit card, we got to know. And their point of sales machines are apparently outdated and not able to recognize multiple cards in one chip. The first one is the credit card causing the rejection.

Last edited by MattiG; October 1st, 2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM   #37159
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
I believe the last time I have touched a note, was in early August. Finland is quite a cashless area. Many shops do not even accept 100, 200 or 500 euro notes.
This is something I'll never understand. They're legal tender, nobody should refuse to accept them.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2017, 05:09 PM   #37160
Kpc21

But also nobody has to give you change if he doesn't have it.

Tags
highways, motorways