daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #37201
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Credit card usage for everyday purchases is extremely low in the Netherlands. Virtually all payments are done by debit cards. Because of the high transaction fees, not many shops accept credit cards.
The Dutch terminals act very quirky with foreign EU debit cards.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #37202
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Some Polish cities installed ticket machines on the public transport which accept card payments only.

I was recently taking a bus from the train station to the airport in Wrocław. There was a foreigner who was really trying to buy a ticket, but the machine was refusing his card... I don't remember how it finished, but probably he finally just rode without a ticket.

For me it was not a problem because I bought the ticket at the station, in a shop. For cash.

But I don't know any place where cards only would be accepted. I know it's common for international car rental companies to accept cards only, and specifically credit cards, not debit ones. If in some countries it's actually illegal not to accept cash, how do they work there? It would be logical to rent the car for cash and take a deposit, but from what I know, they don't do it.
I would say that the best system is simply paying with your credit/debit card directly in the PT instead of buying tickets, or having to have a special transportation card. The long term network passes can be simply associated with your credit/debit card as well. Heck with NFC you can even pay with your mobile phone bank app. It's international friendly, simple, no papers needed, no cash needed, no special cards or passes needed, no transfer of digital cash etc, and it is fast.

Some Czech cities have implemented this approach and I like it.

Old October 6th, 2017, 02:45 PM   #37203
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I would say that the best system is simply paying with your credit/debit card directly in the PT instead of buying tickets, or having to have a special transportation card. The long term network passes can be simply associated with your credit/debit card as well. Heck with NFC you can even pay with your mobile phone bank app. It's international friendly, simple, no papers needed, no cash needed, no special cards or passes needed, no transfer of digital cash etc, and it is fast.

Some Czech cities have implemented this approach and I like it.

You still have a small portion of passengers who don't posses bank card or smarphone. So the classic papers should be still valid.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #37204
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You still have a small portion of passengers who don't posses bank card or smarphone. So the classic papers should be still valid.
These can order a card grom th PT provider. It's compatible.
Old October 6th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #37205
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6781

Concerning the buses and level crossings... A similar situation to the one from Poland discussed here just a moment ago took place in Russia. But... with 16 - 19 dead passengers of the bus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipolit View Post
Ze wschodu:

Autobus wjechał pod pociąg relacji Sankt - Petersburg - Niżny Nowogród. Mówi się o od 16 do 19 ofiar śmiertelnych. W autobusie jechało 56 osób. Kierowca nie zatrzymał się przed czerwonym sygnałem na przejeździe.

Mój komentarz:
Taki zwykły rosyjski przejazd kolejowy. Zapory (szlabany) wyglądające na mocne, "zapadnie" w jezdni, a i tak jakimś cudem dał radę autobusem wjechać w pociąg. No, chyba że urządzenia nie zadziałały.

Źródła - w adresach zdjęć.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipolit View Post
To już chyba oficjalna wersja, podawana np. TU.

Jeszcze dwa filmiki:

Poniżej - pod koniec krótkie ujęcie z drona:

And concerning the public transport payments... in Łódź, on one line, a system is currently being tested, in which you can pay by card for an exact number of stops you pass.

See here:

Unfortunately in Polish only, but you can see the demonstration of how to use it, and I believe some of you can understand at least some Polish.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #37206
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

There is a famous Dutch female handball goalkeeper, Tess Wester.
According to her information sheet, she was born in Heehuggwaard. But such a place is not to be found in Google Maps. In Google literally all results are different data pages about Wester.
Strange.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:32 PM   #37207
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

It's Heerhugowaard.
Whoever typed Heehuggwaard must've pulled a long-nighter with plenty of booze the night before
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #37208
Attus

Old October 7th, 2017, 02:47 PM   #37209
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
There is a famous Dutch female handball goalkeeper, Tess Wester.
She may be more famous abroad than in the Netherlands. Handball is not really a thing here.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 04:35 PM   #37210
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
It's Heerhugowaard.
Whoever typed Heehuggwaard must've pulled a long-nighter with plenty of booze the night before
Heck, I knew that one.
Too much time looking at maps, I suppose.

Although I don't actually know (without checking a map) where Heerhugowaard is....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #37211
Attus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
She may be more famous abroad than in the Netherlands. Handball is not really a thing here.
She said the same in an interview.
And actually, literally all players of the Dutch national team play for foreign clubs, no one plays in the Netherlands.
Old October 7th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #37212
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've looked through the article database of the Dutch public broadcaster NOS.

Apart from an uptick in articles containing 'handbal' in 2015-2016, generally fewer than 20 articles about handball were published per year since 2010 and they are generally only published in the sports section, not on the main page.
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:30 AM   #37213
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
She said the same in an interview.
And actually, literally all players of the Dutch national team play for foreign clubs, no one plays in the Netherlands.
Slovenia is the European champion in basketball, but only one player plays in Slovenia.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:30 PM   #37214
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Three days ago, during the Deutsche Einheit festivity, road authorities of Austrian Tirol enforced a truck limitation on their Autobahns. They set up a truck control spot at Kufstein North and basically let 250-300 trucks per hour pass, instead of the usual 600+. This formed a 100 km truck queue on Italian A22, from Egna to Brenner.

http://www.corriere.it/cronache/17_o...026c835a.shtml

Last edited by g.spinoza; October 8th, 2017 at 12:38 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #37215
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Wow! I've read about that.
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #37216
bogdymol
bogdymod

There is a major traffic issue at the north-south connection over the Alps, in the area of Tyrol, but there seems to be no willingness in finding a long-term solution. Banning trucks is not a solution, as they still need a way of moving stuff between Germany and Italy.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 01:26 PM   #37217
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This anti-truck policy has not really solved anything. In Switzerland, the amount of tonnage by rail has grown only by a small amount despite incredible expenditures on rail projects, and the extremely high truck toll in Switzerland has not really resulted in a sizable modal shift, tonnage by road actually increased by 50% since they introduced the truck tolls (LSVA).
Old October 8th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #37218
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
There is a major traffic issue at the north-south connection over the Alps, in the area of Tyrol, but there seems to be no willingness in finding a long-term solution. Banning trucks is not a solution, as they still need a way of moving stuff between Germany and Italy.
There is... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenner_Base_Tunnel

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

bogdymol liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #37219
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
how about RoLa services? there is a plenty of RoLa trains on that route each day, are they full?
Old October 8th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #37220
bogdymol
bogdymod

After the Brenner Base Tunnel (the one posted by MichiH) will be completed, it would be interesting to have, for example, hourly RoLa trains though the tunnel, and to somehow encourage truck drivers to use it instead of driving across the Brenner motorway.

Now if someone would improve the road connections between Innsbruck and Germany (especially on the north-western part)...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways