daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2017, 03:55 AM   #37241
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I hate carbonated water.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 11th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #37242
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Thank God somone else who hates carbonated water. I felt like the only one up untill know.

Verso liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #37243
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

Where can I sign up into the club? I hate carbonated water. The best water is tap water.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:25 AM   #37244
volodaaaa

https://www.slavorum.org/lost-polish...in-montenegro/

not sure if funny or not

Old October 11th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #37245
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19376

Bottled water is not a big thing in the Netherlands. Supermarkets do sell it, but far less than in France or Spain. Tap water is of high quality in the Netherlands and has been that way for decades.

I remember some stories from the late 1990s that you shouldn't drink tap water in southern France, but evidently that has faded somewhat.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #37246
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2628

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Thank God somone else who hates carbonated water. I felt like the only one up untill know.
+1
I'll drink it if i have to, but I prefer tap water by a long shot.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:16 AM   #37247
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21232

We have a SodaStream machine in our office. I drink it every now and then.

Bottled water occupies a minute part of supermarket shelves here in Norway. Water in Bergen is great. Water in the Netherlands is very safe and clean (they did those tests showing tap water is better than most common bottled waters sold there), but it has a lot of chalk dissolved on it, at least in Brabant. It does not pose any risk for human or animal consumption, but it does leave some crusty dust in taps, metal pieces in the shower, and it makes washing hair and clothes less efficient. It may interefere with certain types of cooking that use warm but not boiled water. Of course, using bottled water is useless for cooking as an improvement because it has even more dissolves minerals.
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #37248
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Where can I sign up into the club? I hate carbonated water. The best water is tap water.
Totally agree, sparking water is neither nice nor worth being paid for. I don't like fizzy drinks in general, including and maybe especially carbonated water.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #37249
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

In Belgium it depends. Here in Limburg tap water is rich in calcium and tastes pretty good. Some other regions have tap water that doesn't taste so good. I didn't like the tap water in the city of Tienen.

Test-Aankoop also tested tap water in 44 locations in Belgium and found that nearly all of them where of better quality than regular bottled water. Some scored less because of nitrates in the water due to industrialised agriculture.

Most soruces of bottled water are actually the same as the tap water but with added minirals. You can buy an expensive SPA botlle yes, but why won't a natural source near you be as healthy?
------------------------

I want to add to that, tap water in Morroco, and all of the Balkan countries I have visited tasted and smelled heavely of chlorine. Would not recommend to drink any tap water there. It might be safe but the chlorine taste is auwfull.
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #37250
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
...........and all of the Balkan countries I have visited tasted and smelled heavely of chlorine. Would not recommend to drink any tap water there. It might be safe but the chlorine taste is auwfull.
Chlorine is present in the Balkan. But we are not Africa and our environment is generally clean. In my country the tap water is safe to drink and it's super healthy. It has to do with the mountains and the terrain overall. That way is rich with minerals. In cities chlorine is present, but you can only wait for couple of seconds to dissolve and you can drink it.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #37251
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Totally agree, sparking water is neither nice nor worth being paid for. I don't like fizzy drinks in general, including and maybe especially carbonated water.
Well, Coca-cola is sometimes good when I have an headache or need to stay up for a long time but yes.

When I see racks full of mineral water packages in supermarket it fells like they are selling packed air. Yes, it is something different when you are a foreigner and you are not used to our bacteria in our tap water. But for locals?

Old October 11th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #37252
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6760

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Bottled water is not a big thing in the Netherlands. Supermarkets do sell it, but far less than in France or Spain. Tap water is of high quality in the Netherlands and has been that way for decades.

I remember some stories from the late 1990s that you shouldn't drink tap water in southern France, but evidently that has faded somewhat.
The parameters of the tap water in Poland are being monitored, and in case something that shouldn't be there is detected in it, the local (and sometimes even central) media inform about it - e.g. that it must be boiled before drinking, that it can be used for washing only, or that even washing in it can be dangerous and it shouldn't be used for anything but flushing the toilet (although in such a case, they would probably just turn it off for safety reasons). But it's a rarity and normally, the tap water is safe.

However, if someone has water from own well, then its parameters may vary - it's not always of a good quality and then people often install filters.

The water supply company of Łódź had even a campaign under the slogan "The Łódź Water is the Best":

The poster compares the parameters of a typical bottled water with the city water.

And they installed dispensers with tap water in some places like offices:

Concerning the bad effect of the minerals in water on the efficiency of washing, as well as on the state of devices like washing machines, an agent which you can add to the washing powder to protect your washing machine is advertised very much in TV commercials. Although I have also seen opinions that actually using it makes you spend more money than if you bought a new washing machine every few years once the old one gets damaged by the lime... And you sometimes have to exchange the machine anyway.

But washing machines anyway last long. We recently exchanged our one. The previous one (Bosch) was used for something like 15 years. The one before (Polar PS 663 Bio - a Polish model from 1970s and 1980s, an interesting solution in it was that the container for washing powder wasn't in form of a drawer, but there was a door on the top of the machine for that - see here this was a good washing machine, the whole Poland was doing laundry in them) was also very durable, even though no water-softening agents were used in that times.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #37253
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Well, Coca-cola is sometimes good when I have an headache ...
That's because of caffeine.
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 11:35 PM   #37254
MattiG

Likes (Received): 614

Quote:
When I see racks full of mineral water packages in supermarket it fells like they are selling packed air. Yes, it is something different when you are a foreigner and you are not used to our bacteria in our tap water. But for locals?
Is tap water available everywhere?

In Finland, most of the rural areas are without public water pipes. Instead, wells are the primary sources of drinking water. The quality of water in wells varies a lot.

The well at my second home at the countryside is in a questionable condition. Repairing it would cost quite a lot of money, and it is not sure if that would make any help. Typically, I buy a 5-litre bottle of water at the local supermarket when travelling there. It is more than enough for two persons for a weekend. I do not feel guilty or dumb.

Oh, sometimes I buy two such bottles. The second one is for the ice cube machine.

We have quite a good variety of sparkling mineral waters available. The bubbles taste good!

Kpc21 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:39 AM   #37255
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

A friend of mine from Ljubljana moved permanently to Bolivia yesterday. I wonder, if he'll stay there for the rest of his life.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:42 AM   #37256
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Back in the 70s, when bottled water was first becoming “a thing” in the U.S., Consumer Reports - a non-profit magazine that specializes in evaluating products for safety, value and so on - ran a test of several brands of water...and New York City tap water. The tap water won.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #37257
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Well, at least we’ll be spared the quadrennial World Cup-triggered round of “What’s wrong with Americans (that they don’t like soccer like normal people)?”

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 09:56 AM   #37258
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Back in the 70s, when bottled water was first becoming “a thing” in the U.S., Consumer Reports - a non-profit magazine that specializes in evaluating products for safety, value and so on - ran a test of several brands of water...and New York City tap water. The tap water won.
The question about tap water and bottled mineral water is like comparing tenderloin to sausage.

Tenderloin is pure high-quality meat but tastes nothing as such. Sausage is some meats added with various guts and spices. Like on water, the impurities carry the taste.
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #37259
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
Is tap water available everywhere?

In Finland, most of the rural areas are without public water pipes. Instead, wells are the primary sources of drinking water. The quality of water in wells varies a lot.

The well at my second home at the countryside is in a questionable condition. Repairing it would cost quite a lot of money, and it is not sure if that would make any help. Typically, I buy a 5-litre bottle of water at the local supermarket when travelling there. It is more than enough for two persons for a weekend. I do not feel guilty or dumb.

Oh, sometimes I buy two such bottles. The second one is for the ice cube machine.

We have quite a good variety of sparkling mineral waters available. The bubbles taste good!
I would say the overwhelming majority of people has connection to tap water. Few rely on their own wells plus there are some people who are connected to tap water and have wells as well. However, these wells are subject of strict hygienic inspections.

Most of people around me like the new healthy lifestyle and drink only water. Unfortunately most of them prefer bottled water which makes an incredibly huge amount of waste. We have the largest river island in Europe which is very rich in quality underground water that is drought to Slovak pipelines (at least in the western Slovakia). It is shame.

Old October 12th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #37260
MattiG

Quote:
I would say the overwhelming majority of people has connection to tap water. Few rely on their own wells plus there are some people who are connected to tap water and have wells as well. However, these wells are subject of strict hygienic inspections.

Most of people around me like the new healthy lifestyle and drink only water. Unfortunately most of them prefer bottled water which makes an incredibly huge amount of waste. We have the largest river island in Europe which is very rich in quality underground water that is drought to Slovak pipelines (at least in the western Slovakia). It is shame.
Bottles make minor amounts of waste only, if there is a working recycling process. So, if the waste is the problem, then the root cause is not the bottled water itself, but the lack of infrastructure.

Tags
highways, motorways