daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #37341
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

In some countries, you can learn driving (to prepare for a driving licence test) with your friend or a member of your family instead of paying a professional driving school for that.

If it's so in your country - how is it solved from the insurance point of view? The civil liability insurance of a car used for teaching how to drive must be higher. Can you pay it just for the period of teaching someone, or do you have to do it for the whole year? How much increase is it when compared with the standard insurance price if you don't teach anyone driving?
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:34 AM   #37342
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
¡ɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀ ɥʇnoS ɯoɹɟ sƃuᴉʇǝǝɹפ
Notify us when you visit eastern Australia (I've been to Victoria, NSW, ACT, and Queensland).
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #37343
bogdymol
bogdymod

I'm in Victoria now.

The roads seem better in Southern Australia than in Victoria. Plus they have 110 km/h speed limit on rutal roads (even some secondary ones).

Unfortunatelly, after just 2 days of driving I've spotted on the side of the road already some roadkills: 4 kangoroos and 1 koala bear
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #37344
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Are you going to Perth, Cairns or Darwin?
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #37345
bogdymol
bogdymod

No, they are too far away and I don't have so much time. I'll go to Melbourne, Sydney and the north island in New Zealand.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

Penn's Woods liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #37346
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

Last weekend I encountered a psycho. I gave way to pedestrians on a crossing and the driver behind me started to honk lunaticly. As the pedestrians passed he overtook me being blush he was gesticulating foolishly. I responded by calmly erected middle finger without a glance. Bad choice. He cut me in with braking. Tattooed bald guy with a Rottweiler sticker on his rear bumper. I decided to overtake him which was the bad choice two. Being chased I get rid of him and then parked my car within the locality I was chased over. Seemingly he just concealed somewhere near because my car had been scratched by a key when I returned.☹

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:48 PM   #37347
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Last weekend I encountered a psycho. I gave way to pedestrians on a crossing and the driver behind me started to honk lunaticly. As the pedestrians passed he overtook me being blush he was gesticulating foolishly. I responded by calmly erected middle finger without a glance. Bad choice. He cut me in with braking. Tattooed bald guy with a Rottweiler sticker on his rear bumper. I decided to overtake him which was the bad choice two. Being chased I get rid of him and then parked my car within the locality I was chased over. Seemingly he just concealed somewhere near because my car had been scratched by a key when I returned.☹
I'm sorry for that. The best policy is saying nothing and doing nothing.
I've been chased halfway across town by a guy when I told him he parked on a spot reserved for disabled people. In the end he catched and threatened me ("I remember your license plate"). Next week, in two occasions I found my car scratched by key, on both doors.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #37348
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

I always ignore people like that but it is frustrating, no doubt about that. But I also don't get how these people can get so angry about anything. I mean, why on earth yould you get angry because the car in front of you stopped for a pedestrian crossing. If he was driving too close behind Voloda then surely that's his own fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In some countries, you can learn driving (to prepare for a driving licence test) with your friend or a member of your family instead of paying a professional driving school for that.

If it's so in your country - how is it solved from the insurance point of view? The civil liability insurance of a car used for teaching how to drive must be higher. Can you pay it just for the period of teaching someone, or do you have to do it for the whole year? How much increase is it when compared with the standard insurance price if you don't teach anyone driving?
In the UK at least, you have to take out another insurance policy to cover the learner on a the specific car for however long you want. You don't have to pay it for the full year, but in the UK you can take out temporary car insurance policies in other cases too. This is because you can't, for example, just lend a friend or whoever your car in the UK, your insurance policy wouldn't cover them. Therefore you or the person borrowing your car would have to take out a temporary policy lasting a day, a week etc. unless their insurance allows them to drive other people's cars which is sometimes (but not usually) the case.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #37349
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Pity.... you could spot that roadside area in the middle of desert that is managed by natives and the only option to cross country by car....

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 07:39 PM   #37350
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18308

Great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galro View Post
The Faroe Islands are now covered in streetview.

https://www.google.no/maps/@62.00873...2!8i6656?hl=no
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 09:35 PM   #37351
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

By the way, is it possible in your countries to deregister your car for some period if you want, to avoid paying insurance for the period when you don't use it?

In Poland it's possible only for buses and for vintage vehicles. For a normal car - you can forget about it. If you forget about paying the insurance (which is a rare case since normally, according to law, the insurance contract must get automatically extended to the next year unless the car owner doesn't explicitly terminate it; also if you buy a second-hand car, the insurance contract of the old owner is passed to you if you don't terminate it), even if you are not using the car at all, you may get big fines from the Insurance Warranty Found (the institution who replaces the insurance company if the car causing the accident wasn't insured or if the insurance company goes bankrupt).
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:51 AM   #37352
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
By the way, is it possible in your countries to deregister your car for some period if you want, to avoid paying insurance for the period when you don't use it?
As with the temporary learner driver insurance, this is possible in the UK, where it is known as SORN (Statutory off road notification).

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #37353
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:

In Spain it is possible.
Strongly not often but possible. Some companies offer you an insurance per days, for instance, for those luxurious cars that you wanna use on weekends or so, or even they say that people under 26 are out of insurance but let you pay more only for holidays
The most strange thing I have seen was an insurance for everyone except people under 26 between 01:00 and 05:00 daily!!!!!

A long time ago, I had a car and notice a problem. I went to dealer and it was... for one week, inside warranty and they said me that they were quite busy with a lot of orders in queue and could take longer. I could drive with it but... warranty would go down. Therefore, I took a car from a relative and asked for a dealer repair entrance (to be inside warranty).
One week later warranty... and insurance left down. I could have called insurance to say I wanted to halt and call again to start again (car was under repair, enough to call day before going for it). But I would have saved so few money that didn't deserve to spend time.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #37354
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:

Finland: No impact to insurance fees. Legally, the teacher is the responsible person, and if an accident happens, the teacher is the one to be charged.

As the insurance follows the car, not the driver, the procedure is independent on who is sitting behind the wheel.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #37355
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Finland: Yes, but it is not called deregistration but "removing from the traffic use". The fee is 6 euros on the web service, or 18 euros at a service desk.

Resuming the vehicle is free of charges. However, a minimum vehicle tax of 10 euros applies. Thus, resuming for a day or two usually does not make sense.

The vintage cars are free from the vehicle tax. There is a special insurance option available to them allowing max 30 days of use in a year.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #37356
volodaaaa

Quote:

In Poland it's possible only for buses and for vintage vehicles. For a normal car - you can forget about it. If you forget about paying the insurance (which is a rare case since normally, according to law, the insurance contract must get automatically extended to the next year unless the car owner doesn't explicitly terminate it; also if you buy a second-hand car, the insurance contract of the old owner is passed to you if you don't terminate it), even if you are not using the car at all, you may get big fines from the Insurance Warranty Found (the institution who replaces the insurance company if the car causing the accident wasn't insured or if the insurance company goes bankrupt).
Yes, it is. It is called "the temporary deregistration from the evidence". A car still must be equipped by the licence plates but you do not have to undergo a technical or emission inspection (unless you want to drive). Furthermore no mandatory insurance is required.

If you want to register the car again, first you have to insure it and second you have to head to the nearest repair service to undertake necessary inspections.

Old October 30th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #37357
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
I think in Italy it is not possible to deregister temporarily your car, but anyways it would have effect only on the property tax. You can avoid paying insurance even if your is still registered, provided it's on private ground and you don't drive it on public roads.
Old October 30th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #37358
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

How much would a new 18-year old driver pay, roughly, for insurance of a new small car (think a Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo or something similar - the cheapest non-fancy small ICE car) for which the teen is the sole driver/operator?

A colleague's son, who lives in Rome, alone, has to pay almost € 3500/year for insurance of his small brand-new (parent's gift) car which is parked overnight in an external indoor garage. He is 18 and his parents now live outside Italy (so registering at their house is just not an option).
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #37359
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How much would a new 18-year old driver pay, roughly, for insurance of a new small car (think a Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo or something similar - the cheapest non-fancy small ICE car) for which the teen is the sole driver/operator?

A colleague's son, who lives in Rome, alone, has to pay almost € 3500/year for insurance of his small brand-new (parent's gift) car which is parked overnight in an external indoor garage. He is 18 and his parents now live outside Italy (so registering at their house is just not an option).
That is too much!

Btw. here in Slovakia no such age correlation exists. We have a basic insurance fee (regardless we are talking about mandatory insurance [if you make a damage to other parties] or additional/commercial insurance [if you make a damage to your property]) and there is so called bonus for a driver who drives without any accident (caused by him) that grows annually.

If a driver cause an accident, they will lose the bonus and starts over. If an owner (and policyholder) has not driven the car but their car was involved in an accident, provided that the car caused the accident, the driver loses a part of their bonus (because the car was lend to "unreliable" person).

You can get a bonus only in case you are a policyholder. E.g. I was given my car when I was 20, but the car was registered to my father who was also a policyholder. I drove without accidents so my father's bonus was growing annually. If I had crashed the car, my father would have lost half of his bonus.

I bought my first car registered to me last year, so despite having driven 12 years without an accident caused by my I was given no bonus

Because I bought the car on loan (3 years) that include full insurance I will not grow my bonus anyway though I am the owner according to my car registration certificate.

Btw. I pay 270 €/month (whole installment) that includes 69 € insurance (mandatory + additional + GAP + some premium services like a replacement car for free).

Old October 30th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #37360
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

I'm not sure since I bought my first car when I was 26...
Reading online here and there it seems that the average price for a 18-y-o first car insurance is around 1500 €/yr. The so-called "Bersani law" makes it possible to start your insurance with the same class of your parents or spouses. So for instance my girlfriend, who got her license and her first car 2 years ago (despite being 38) could begin with my insurance class (the first) instead of the last, saving a lot of money.

Tags
highways, motorways