daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 30th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #37361
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
By the way, is it possible in your countries to deregister your car for some period if you want, to avoid paying insurance for the period when you don't use it?
it is here in HR. afaik you must come to desk at ministry of interior, you just give back the plates and vehicle registration certificate. no fees apply. insurance company will pay you back the unused period of insurance.

when you decide to re-registrate it again, you need to pay some small fee, but procedure is quite simple. you will get new plates and new registration certificate.

important thing is if your vehicle registration expires in regular time, and you decide not to registrate it again, you must report it at ministry of interior in 15 days (maybe it is 30 now) from expiry date, otherwise you are in deep trouble.

if i understood you well, in PL you cannot own a car if it is not registered?

Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:52 PM   #37362
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
How much would a new 18-year old driver pay, roughly, for insurance of a new small car (think a Citroen C1/Toyota Aygo or something similar - the cheapest non-fancy small ICE car) for which the teen is the sole driver/operator?

A colleague's son, who lives in Rome, alone, has to pay almost € 3500/year for insurance of his small brand-new (parent's gift) car which is parked overnight in an external indoor garage. He is 18 and his parents now live outside Italy (so registering at their house is just not an option).
I believe that varies a lot. Car insurance policies are not harmonized across countries.

Finland: I calculated a list price for a reasonable full-coverage insurance plan to a new Citroën C1 where the owner lives in the Helsinki region. The annual price at a major insurance company is about 1850 euro. In the countryside, the price is about 300 euro lower.

However, this is not the whole truth. Quite often, the financing company offers an insurance to an attractive price, if the car is financed by a loan. The price may be half of the list price, but the excess is higher and there is no bonus model.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #37363
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Netherlands: A 2017 Citroën C1, mid-level trim, for an 18 year old driver, would start at € 800 per year for a liability only insurance and € 1650 per year for full coverage.

You frequently read about how Dutch car insurances make a loss to insurers, they are too cheap. I pay only € 35 per month for full coverage on my 2015 Hyundai i10.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 01:27 AM   #37364
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

In Poland it's expensive for a young driver, but not SO expensive.

Although maybe if you take into account that you earn in euro in Italy (although it still depends on the region of Italy, I believe that in the south, the salaries do not differ much from Poland), the difference is not so big.

And usually a young driver cannot afford a new car, but let's say he has rich parents who buy it for him...

I will use an online insurance price calculation tool to check it.

www.rankomat.pl - if someone wants to check it. Polish language only, but I believe someone from a Slavic language country will understand it, maybe with a little help of an online dictionary...

The data I put into it:
- Car produced in: 2017
- Car brand: Toyota
- Car model: Aygo
- Fuel: gasoline
- Engine volume: 998 ccm (the only one available for this car)
- Doors: 3
- Version: Sprint
- Model: there is only one
- Version: Sprint
- Insurance from: 1.11.2017
- Insurance range: OC (odpowiedzialność cywilna = civil liability)

--- compare offers ---

How do you use the car: exclusively privately
Car registered for a company/a leasing company/a single-person business/as a freight car: no
Color: silver
Mileage: 1000 km (almost a new car)
How much you will drive in the next 12 months: let's say someone uses it to drive to school/work every day - 20 km/day - approximately 20 days/month - 12 months -> 4800 km /less than 5000 km/
The current owner is which one from when it was bought new: first
Country of first registration: Poland
Date of first registration: 30.10.2017 (I cannot select a future date, but you must insure a brand new car on the day of buying)
Licence plate number: let's say one from the city of Lodz... EL12345
Anti-theft protection: immobilizer
Damages: no damages
Parked at night in: an individual garage
How long will the car be used abroad: it won't be used abroad
How frequent children will be carried: never
Phone number: a fake one

--- next ---

Owner birth date: say, 1.10.1998 (so a typical candidate for a driving license)
Will the owner drive the car: yes, he will be the main driver
When did he obtain the B category driving licence: September 2017
Postal code and town of the owner: I put 91-022 Łódź
Sex of the owner: Male
Martial status: Single
Job of the owner: Student
How many children has the owner: no children
How many co-owners has the car (they mean other co-owners, I believe): 0
Additional young drivers: 0

--- next ---

For how long the owner has been buying insurance policies for his car: never
Is the car tuned: no
Do you also want an offer of real estate insurance: no

--- show offers ---

After so much answering to weird questions, I finally get the offers...

The cheapest one costs 2644 zł (about 615 euro). Very expensive as for the Polish conditions. My parents have civil liability + autocasco for half of that price.

OC - civil liability
ASS - assistance
NNW - consequences of unfortunate accidents
AC - auto casco (you get money for your car when you caused the accident, the person who caused it is not known or when it was caused by external forces like weather - e.g. a tree fallen on the roof of your car)

Actually, many young car owners register the car with one of their parents as a co-owner. Thanks to that, they can make use of their discounts for having the driving license for a long time, which are, seemingly, very big.

Probably another factor which made the price of the insurance so high was that I chose a brand new car. Maybe for, let's say, Fiat Seicento or Daewoo Matiz from 2007, this would be cheaper. Although... I don't know. For a new car, there is a lower likelihood of an accident because of bad technical state of the car, and it has much more various safety systems.

I am shocked that even in many central-eastern Europe countries, you can temporarily deregister a car... And in Poland not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
if i understood you well, in PL you cannot own a car if it is not registered?
If I am not mistaken, you can if it's brand new or brought from abroad. And you can deregister the car only if you sell it abroad. Or if you are a registered company who processes the cars into crap.

A car brought from abroad must be registered within 30 days.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 01:53 AM   #37365
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4003

So, age of the car owner plays a role in a car insurance rate? Not in my country.
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:20 AM   #37366
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Young drivers more often cause accidents, and based on that, the insurance rates are established.

It seems that in Poland, even the color of the car plays a role in the insurance rate... Which also make sense (not in case of the civil liability insurance, but yes for some other types) as some colors are more prone to be stolen.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:39 AM   #37367
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

I am not sure if an age determines a chance of accident. I would rather say that the time the policyholder has possessed the licence for does. Indeed, young drivers may have less sense of fear.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:35 AM   #37368
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18299

So just register the car on a parent and give full rights to it to the child
I know even people who do it here because the parent has better rating and will pay less insurance.
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:51 AM   #37369
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

In Belgium you cannot be the main driver of a vehicule if you have one on your parents name. If they find out you'll have to pay heavy fines. For that reason and because I drive around 40.000km on a yearly base and take my car with me on vacation. I payed my own insurance on my name since I was 21. It did cost a lot.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:07 AM   #37370
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

And how would they know who is the main driver? It's not like you would tell them
Old October 31st, 2017, 12:17 PM   #37371
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinxxx View Post
And how would they know who is the main driver? It's not like you would tell them
If you have an accident, they'll know...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 12:28 PM   #37372
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

I had a work colleague who commuted 160 km everyday, his car is registered on his father. he even had an accident, hit a deer on the road and almost totaled the car.
Didn't have any problem repairing it. It's also common here afaik to transfer insurance score to someone else (like from parents to child).
Old October 31st, 2017, 01:32 PM   #37373
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

That's fine, untill you go and live on your own... You cannot drive around in a car all the time that is not registered on your name and adress, insurance will start to get shifty. I did this for a while, from my late 17 untill I was 21, I drove a car registered on my mothers name while I was still registered on the same adress. However, I had never the courage to drive outside BE with it because if you happen to have an accident, insurance wil surely not pay for the costs.
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:09 PM   #37374
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
That's fine, untill you go and live on your own... You cannot drive around in a car all the time that is not registered on your name and adress, insurance will start to get shifty. I did this for a while, from my late 17 untill I was 21, I drove a car registered on my mothers name while I was still registered on the same adress. However, I had never the courage to drive outside BE with it because if you happen to have an accident, insurance wil surely not pay for the costs.
Well, in Germany you can insure the car on the whole family, even if the car is on your name. That means, partner and children (it may depend on the company, but it can be done). That's also the case of my colleague. So no danger there about being insured... but, apparently if the child is young, it will cost more.
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:24 PM   #37375
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Well, in Germany you can insure the car on the whole family, even if the car is on your name.
I know a guy from town A living in town B who had registered his car on his brother living in town C. A is 30km from C, B more than 200km from A/C.

The only issue was with paying taxes. B is in Baden-Württemberg (A/C in Bavaria) and if you work and live in BaWü, your first residence must be there too so that you pay taxes (including car taxes) in BaWü. It wasn't enforced for a while but for that reason, he had to register in B for his first residence and he even had to register his car on his own when he was about 40 years old.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Last edited by MichiH; October 31st, 2017 at 02:48 PM.
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 02:59 PM   #37376
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I know a guy from town A living in town B who had registered his car on his brother living in town C. A is 30km from C, B more than 200km from A/C.

The only issue was with paying taxes. B is in Baden-Württemberg (A/C in Bavaria) and if you work and live in BaWü, your first residence must be there too so that you pay taxes (including car taxes) in BaWü. It wasn't enforced for a while but for that reason, he had to register in B for his first residence and he even had to register his car on his own when he was about 40 years old.
Fee Fie Foe Foo. I have been thinking that the Finnish vehicle insurance system is complicated, but I seem be wrong.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:37 PM   #37377
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

When I was 17 I paid £1,700 in Outer London for car insurance on a ten year old 1.2 Clio for a year and that was with a blackbox that recorded how fast I drove and so forth. I also added my father and grandparents as named drivers, partially in case they needed to drive it, but it also made it cheaper. The next year I moved to Wales for university and my insurance was £700 without a black box. With young drivers in the UK it is surprisingly often cheaper to insure a new car, I suppose the insurance companies think you'll take better care of a new car.

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; November 1st, 2017 at 09:05 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 08:45 PM   #37378
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

That 'black box' device that records your driving style and gives you a discount on the car insurance is also becoming a thing in the Netherlands. It records acceleration, speed, G-forces, etc. So people drive like a granny and annoy other drivers to save a few euros....
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2017, 09:06 PM   #37379
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
So, age of the car owner plays a role in a car insurance rate? Not in my country.
how come? you have the same bonus/malus policy as Croatia, or at least similar. so as a young driver you start from 0% that makes you 100% more expensive insurance rate than with 10 years of experience, when you have 50% bonus if you had no accidents.
Old October 31st, 2017, 11:52 PM   #37380
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Well, in Germany you can insure the car on the whole family, even if the car is on your name. That means, partner and children (it may depend on the company, but it can be done). That's also the case of my colleague. So no danger there about being insured... but, apparently if the child is young, it will cost more.
The daughter of my workmate (Germany) turned 18 and got her driver license. My collegue extended his insurance, allowing her daughter, too, to drive the car. Insurance fee became almost twice as high as before.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways