daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:55 AM   #37421
Attus

Likes (Received): 1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
we rent a 110sqm two room appartment 1km from the town's main square. It costs us 790/month.
You would have a similar price in Budapest. Outside of the terrible slums you must pay 170-200,000 forint (550-650 ) for a flat of 100-120 m2, and it can even be more in nice locations.
However, incomes are significatnly lower than in Belgium. Average net salary is around 800 a month in Budapest and 5-600 in the countryside.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2017, 10:09 PM   #37422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

A 'fast and the furious' style heist of a driving mail truck in Sweden:

cinxxx liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #37423
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH
Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA
MichiH, when will you drive in Slovenia?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #37424
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
MichiH, when will you drive in Slovenia?
I've been to Slovenia only once when I was a child. An one day trip to Bled when I was on vacation with my parents in Austria. I think it was in 1991. I often thought about traveling to Croatia and Bosnia one day and I would drive through Slovenia. I don't know when it will happen, maybe in 2018 or 2019. For sure, I will update my signature

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Verso liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #37425
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Who's in the market for a new kitchen?

Old November 6th, 2017, 09:25 PM   #37426
OnTheNorthRoad
Hei

Likes (Received): 2616

I wonder how that survived the WAF process
OnTheNorthRoad está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:18 PM   #37427
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
So, you registered at SSC at the age of 12?
Yes, I wanted to look at all the photos of roads and metro systems and whatnot, I have always been a bit of a nerd, more so then than now perhaps. I also saw it as a way of reading and writing in my native language as I wasn't living in the country where I was born at the time. My spelling was atrocious. I really did learn a lot about other countries and about different opinions through reading posts. I've never been a massively active user though, look at my post count.

Wilhem275 liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #37428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

smog

Incredible air quality readings in Delhi. This station has a PM2.5 reading of 626 g/m. I even saw Tweets with stations reading 999, likely the highest possible they can display.

This is far beyond any bad air quality days in Europe.

The European limits are;

* PM10: 40 g/m
* PM2.5: 25 g/m

And are only marginally exceeded in some locations, in the vast majority of Europe it is below 30 g/m. Even on bad days the readings rarely go over 100 g/m.

Old November 7th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #37429
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

Delhi has probably 10 million inhabitants and is nothing strange really.

One of the most polluted cities in Europe is Sarajevo and also Skopje.
Last year the pollution was so big that it was dark during the day and night. The PM's were above 1000 in some districts. This also has to do with the terrain since both cities are for an example located in valleys.
Currently the situation is starting to deteriorate and in November in December is really ugly.

This can be traced on-line on two sites. Last season:

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #37430
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The problem is people setting fire to things on a massive scale. Wood stoves, coal heating or burning farmland. Enclosed valleys with cold temperatures (inversion) become a giant polluted cloud.

Earlier this week they closed motorways in Pakistan because visibility was so low you couldn't safely drive on them. In a while we'll see the giant Chinese smog when district heating is turned on, provided by coal-fired power plants.
Old November 7th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #37431
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 785

In the Balkan were economy is low and mentality is backward people do have heaters in houses specially in those close villages near the capital city and they used to burn tires, all type of wood materials with chemicals on it and so on, so this deteriorate really fast and there is no way of stopping. The the cloud stays for weeks until weather changes to windy or a snow starts to fall in January. Until then there are a weeks of darkness.

Only the city districts with flats and houses have central heating that doesn't pollute and a small minority of houses that have electrical heating.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #37432
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6751

In Poland - the city districts with commie-blocks yes. They have district heating. But in the central districts with old tenement houses, it's a problem, because they are often not even not connected to the district heating, but in many of them, there are still individual tiled stoves for a room.

And the small town + rural areas. Which often have no gas network. So most people are using coal-based per-house central heating. And this is still not a big problem. Much a bigger problem is that many people still burn things other than coal or clean and seasoned wood in the central heating of this type. And the new trash rules introduced a few years ago - with which the municipalities must receive any amount of trash from the houses, for a constant amount of money (the only difference in the price is that if you sort the trash, you pay less*), paying which is obligatory for everyone - did not help much.

* - although in practice, it's impossible to enforce it in tenement houses and commie-blocks - because all the people from the neighborhood have a common dump and nobody is able to check if an apartment which declared sorting actually sorts the trash or it throws everything into the "general" container.

Although something began to change, and many municipalities or voivodeships introduced new legislation - which will either totally forbid using solid fuels after some years (unfortunately, the transition period must be long because if someone has just bought a new stove, he won't throw it out) or only the most ecological, certified, automatic coal stoves will be allowed. Also some types of coals - of the lowest quality or least capable of being burnt possibly ecologically in household conditions - became taken out of the market.

Which also increased the prices of coal and now it's over 1000 PLN (230 EUR) for a tonne of the coal which can be burnt in modern automatic stoves.

By the way, I was buying coal just about a month ago, and there were problems with its availability. You couldn't get it immediately, they were queues of over a week waiting.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #37433
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

In Slovakia, most of households have central heating that draws on the heating plant. Since the heat escapes which makes the heating less efficient for end users, some flat houses opt for disconnecting and constructing their own gas boiler room.

Old houses have local heating (e.g. me - I have a boiler in my kitchen) or gas radiators (called gamatky; not very safe, but still widespread).

Only in central Slovakia in parts with forestry tradition people use solid fuel especially wood. If you have ever travelled through Slovakia on motorway (from October to April) you may have noticed that smell and during foggy days even smog. Btw. I like the smell.

Kpc21 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 10:06 PM   #37434
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

I miss the Netherlands a lot and have booked 3 short trips there over Dec/Jan.

MichiH liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #37435
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Incredible air quality readings in Delhi. This station has a PM2.5 reading of 626 g/m. I even saw Tweets with stations reading 999, likely the highest possible they can display.

This is far beyond any bad air quality days in Europe.

The European limits are;

* PM10: 40 g/m
* PM2.5: 25 g/m

And are only marginally exceeded in some locations, in the vast majority of Europe it is below 30 g/m. Even on bad days the readings rarely go over 100 g/m.
Few days ago Turin reached 350 in PM10... but most of it was due to the heavy wildfires nearby.
I parked my car at work, went for a week-long business trip and when I came back, it was covered in ash.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #37436
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In South Asia people burn the farmland at the end of the season. This creates incredible smog.

Desperate to reduce the pollution that has made New Delhi’s air quality among the worst in the world, the city has banned private cars for two-week periods and campaigned to reduce its ubiquitous fireworks during holiday celebrations.

But one thing India has not seriously tried could make the most difference: curtailing the fires set to rice fields by hundreds of thousands of farmers in the nearby states of Punjab and Haryana, where much of the nation’s wheat and rice is grown.

Although India’s environmental court, the National Green Tribunal, told the government last year to stop farmers from burning the straw left over from their rice harvests, NASA satellite images in recent weeks have shown virtually no abatement. Farmers are continuing to burn most of the leftover straw — an estimated 32 million tons — to make room to plant their winter wheat crop.
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/03/w...pollution.html
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #37437
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Few days ago Turin reached 350 in PM10... but most of it was due to the heavy wildfires nearby.
I parked my car at work, went for a week-long business trip and when I came back, it was covered in ash.
Thankfully, the Alps have no volcanoes
Old November 8th, 2017, 12:53 AM   #37438
italystf

Likes (Received): 2183

I have a fireplace at home, beside gas heating, i regularly use it with natural wood, but I would never burn anything else. It's widely known that burning plastic, paper or treated wood releases toxic fumes.
As for waste, in my town last month they removed public containers for non-recyclable waste from the streets. Non recyclable garbage is collected door-to-door once a week, so they can ensure that people don't mix recyclable waste inside (every bin is associated to a household, so they know who to fine if the waste is not properly separated). However, I have always separated it properly.
I have some greenhouses near my house. Around 10-15 years ago, their owners used to burn unwanted stuff in the yard, making a terrible smell, and they stopped after some residents called the police.
The transponders personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the cars bill - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #37439
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post

Which also increased the prices of coal and now it's over 1000 PLN (230 EUR) for a tonne of the coal which can be burnt in modern automatic stoves.

By the way, I was buying coal just about a month ago, and there were problems with its availability. You couldn't get it immediately, they were queues of over a week waiting.
Its interesting the popularity of coal for home heating in PL. In Canada, major coal-exporting country as well, its essentially unheard of for people to heat with coal since the WWII. You can't even find any for sale... But, many people use wood stoves and in some areas it creates smog problems (Montreal notably).
Old November 8th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #37440
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands has used natural gas for heating since they discovered a huge gas field in the 1960s. The entire country was connected to gas pipes so things like oil or coal to heat houses has been extremely uncommon since, in contrast to Belgium where oil is still commonly used in rural areas.

Tags
highways, motorways