daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2017, 11:23 AM   #37461
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

We have not had a grammar issue for a while: so let it be

I have recently found a geek function in my cell phone: a narrated time during the alarm. It is very practical but in my case, if the alarm is set on 6:00 AM, it speaks "it's six hundred hours" which sounds ridiculous to me. I know that sometimes the time is not displayed with colon like 600, 1800, 1445, but I have not ever heard someone speaking "it is six hundred hours".

Is that normal or is it just a bug? Because when I snooze the alarm it turns normal and speaks "it's six five" (6:05).

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #37462
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Yes you can say that, sounds rather mechanical but yes people might say that if they are emphasising the fact that it is precisely 6:00. I would be more likely to say 'it is 6 on the dot' but I guess that is a bit long and more idiomatic. It sounds less strange after midday, 'it is twelve hundred, fourteen hundred, eighteen hundred' are said more I suspect than 'it is nine hundred'. That said I would rarely call 18:00 'eighteen hundred'.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #37463
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
We have not had a grammar issue for a while: so let it be

I have recently found a geek function in my cell phone: a narrated time during the alarm. It is very practical but in my case, if the alarm is set on 6:00 AM, it speaks "it's six hundred hours" which sounds ridiculous to me. I know that sometimes the time is not displayed with colon like 600, 1800, 1445, but I have not ever heard someone speaking "it is six hundred hours".

Is that normal or is it just a bug? Because when I snooze the alarm it turns normal and speaks "it's six five" (6:05).
It is a normal convention to express the "military time" written in four figures (hhmm).
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:54 PM   #37464
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A lot of snow fell in Bologna today. I guess it's fairly rare to have a snow cover in the first half of November. Bologna is only at 54 meters above sea level.

According to Wikipedia: Snow occasionally falls during winter and heavy snowfalls; the last major event was in February 2012, when almost a meter of snow fell in the city.

Snow also caused chaos in Slovenia:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21, Verso liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #37465
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Snowfalls in flat areas of Italy are extremely rare in November. Where I live I remember only an episode some years ago. But it was at the end of the month and there was far less snow than that.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #37466
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
if the alarm is set on 6:00 AM, it speaks "it's six hundred hours" which sounds ridiculous to me.
https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-Military-Time

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #37467
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4010

Meanwhile in Norway:

Verso, Highway89 liked this post
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #37468
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Concerning the time, the people in Poland usually say e.g. "it's six zero zero" if they want to specify that it's exactly 6:00, and not 6:01 or 5:59.

It's not an official way of saying, rather a colloquial thing.

Also, even though the clocks display the midnight as "0:00" and then "0:01" etc., colloquially people usually call it 24, and then e.g. 24:12 for 0:12. Nobody will say it's "zeroth twelve". Concerning the official way of saying such times - the TV stations in the announcements say just that e.g. the movie X will start "twelve minutes after the midnight" (when it's gonna start at 0:12) instead of the normal way of saying it, like that the movie Y will start "at fifteenth twelve" (when it's gonna start at 15:12).

This "six hundred hours" is kind of similar to the German way of saying years. In Polish we say the years just as normal numbers, like the year 1998 is just the year "one thousand nine hundred ninety eighth" (we use the ordinal numerals for that in Polish, same is with the hours), unlike in English, where it would be "nineteen ninety eight", or German, where it would be "nineteen hundred ninety eight" - "neunzehnhundertachtundneunzig".

And it's also partially French, as the word "hours" is said in plural.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #37469
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm always amused when traffic is stopped for some few cm of snow, it's so hilarious
is it just crazy people or complete lack of salt? I think not even...
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #37470
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Meanwhile in Norway:
It's amazing how dumb kids can be. I never did anything as stupid as that even when I was a kid.

Autobahn-mann liked this post
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #37471
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Concerning the time, the people in Poland usually say e.g. "it's six zero zero" if they want to specify that it's exactly 6:00, and not 6:01 or 5:59.

It's not an official way of saying, rather a colloquial thing.

Also, even though the clocks display the midnight as "0:00" and then "0:01" etc., colloquially people usually call it 24, and then e.g. 24:12 for 0:12. Nobody will say it's "zeroth twelve". Concerning the official way of saying such times - the TV stations in the announcements say just that e.g. the movie X will start "twelve minutes after the midnight" (when it's gonna start at 0:12) instead of the normal way of saying it, like that the movie Y will start "at fifteenth twelve" (when it's gonna start at 15:12).

This "six hundred hours" is kind of similar to the German way of saying years. In Polish we say the years just as normal numbers, like the year 1998 is just the year "one thousand nine hundred ninety eighth" (we use the ordinal numerals for that in Polish, same is with the hours), unlike in English, where it would be "nineteen ninety eight", or German, where it would be "nineteen hundred ninety eight" - "neunzehnhundertachtundneunzig".

And it's also partially French, as the word "hours" is said in plural.

Colloquially, English-speaking people pretty much use the 12-hour clock exclusively: that 0012 would be 12:12 a.m.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #37472
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
It's amazing how dumb kids can be. I never did anything as stupid as that even when I was a kid.
Anyway hats off to lorry driver's senses.

Btw. I have tried to troll my alarm clock and set it to 6:43 It remained silent

Old November 14th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #37473
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I'm always amused when traffic is stopped for some few cm of snow, it's so hilarious
is it just crazy people or complete lack of salt? I think not even...
The very basic risk management principle tells us that the maximum sum to invest in risk mitigation is the projected impact of the risk multiplied by the probability of the risk.

In areas like Bologna, both the probability and impact of a heavy snowfall are moderately low. In such cases, the risk may be accepted as such: Just have a day off and wait for the snow to go away. Why to put money in managing a weather condition occurring seldom.

Kpc21 liked this post
Old November 14th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #37474
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

I lived in Bologna for 12 years, and I remember heavy snow only 2 times. I guess from 1998 to 2017 there were 5 or 6 events of snow.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:02 AM   #37475
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The very basic risk management principle tells us that the maximum sum to invest in risk mitigation is the projected impact of the risk multiplied by the probability of the risk.

In areas like Bologna, both the probability and impact of a heavy snowfall are moderately low. In such cases, the risk may be accepted as such: Just have a day off and wait for the snow to go away. Why to put money in managing a weather condition occurring seldom.
Needless to say salt is not very favourable for environment

Old November 14th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #37476
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I lived in Bologna for 12 years, and I remember heavy snow only 2 times. I guess from 1998 to 2017 there were 5 or 6 events of snow.
I can guess that. The cost of snow management follows the S curve: Quite a lot of money is needed to reach a minimum useful level.

The press in the North sometimes makes fun of areas closing schools and facing a traffic chaos after getting two centimeters of snow. In my opinion, temporary closures are quite a clever move compared to investing zillions in an army of snow ploughs needed once every second year.
Old November 14th, 2017, 11:12 AM   #37477
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

Quote:
Needless to say salt is not very favourable for environment
It depends of kind of salt. Obviously no salt is better but once I was in a high mountain area where cows and other animals were in barely freedom (barely traffic and a lot of green areas).

They remain in freedom until it snows at all, it will be when they will remain indoor for several months. In those previous months we can have frozen roads and the only solution is salt.

Salt is specially chosen for nature. They will let green to develop and... it can be eaten by cows (this kind of animals try to eat it from roads, therefore they have to put more than usual...)

It is not the best solution but sometimes it is the only solution and affordable with environment

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:35 PM   #37478
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Meanwhile in Norway
I don't know. Thie first moment the driver could see the kid is this:

Two seconds and approx. 25 meters later he stopped:

It seems to be impossible for me.
OK, some people write that kind of truck has sensors and automatic brakes, so the driver's reaction time does not matter at all - he could have been sleeping, the truck had stopped any way. Even so, it's like a wonder.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #37479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I don't think the truck was traveling at 80 km/h at that time.

Still, truck brakes have tremendous stopping power today. Just look at this video, the truck manages to come to a complete stop from 60 km/h in only a few meters.

Of course, this only works if the trucks get proper maintenance. Statens Vegvesen often shares photos of trucks with completely corroded brakes or even 1 cm cracks in the discs. Norway is one of the few countries with widespread truck inspection along the roads. The truck volumes are more managable there. There are truck inspection stations in some areas of Norway.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 14th, 2017 at 06:44 PM.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2017, 06:42 PM   #37480
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
or German, where it would be "nineteen hundred ninety eight" - "neunzehnhundertachtundneunzig".
Translating the German "1998" back to English, it's "nineteen hundred eight and ninety" though

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Kpc21 liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways