daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 11th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #37621
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1748

What I do not understand is this:

Numeric part of a keyboard
7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Mobile keyboard:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Though I am used to both cases, I certainly do not understand the difference

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #37622
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

That is to blame on AT&T
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #37623
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2104

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Mobile keyboard:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

It's the same with ATMs and POS's. Many years ago I had memorized my PIN not by number but with the gestures I had to do at ATMs. Once I had to pay in a Supermarket and their POS had the keypad reversed. I just couldn't understand why it was not working
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #37624
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post

7 8 9
4 5 6
1 2 3

Mobile keyboard:
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9

Things happen. Why do people in some countries drive on left while the others drive on right? Why does the northern wind flow from north to south while the northern ocean current flows from south to north? Why do the clocks move clockwise in Australia while the Sun moves anti-clockwise?

The phone keypad layout standard is based on the usability research work done in the Bell Labs in 1950's. Calculators follow the principle of ancient cash registers: larger numbers on top. Combining two completely different worlds just cause these things to happen.

Kpc21 liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 01:03 PM   #37625
MMM1983
BANNED

Likes (Received): 13

This is located on the side road not on highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM1983 View Post

Old well and resting place in one of the old cities of Asia.

This is located on the side road not on highway
MMM1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #37626
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Snow significantly impacts traffic in the Benelux and Western Germany. Right now Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Eindhoven, Antwerp, Brussels, Gent and the Rhine-Ruhr area are jammed up significantly. The other orange lines is just slower than usual traffic.

The Netherlands started off with a brief and very early rush hour in the morning, a large amount of people stayed at home this morning, resulting in almost no congestion around 9 a.m. Flanders has been impacted all day long with jammed traffic throughout the day. The Netherlands has seen more impact during the afternoon. The Ruhr Area also had bad traffic for most of the day.

Roads, rail and air are all significantly impacted.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2017, 05:41 PM   #37627
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A more detailed look at western Flanders.

Old December 11th, 2017, 10:52 PM   #37628
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-f...where-42181263
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #37629
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The phone keypad layout standard is based on the usability research work done in the Bell Labs in 1950's.
Those are the designs they considered:

Quote:
In the end, though, Numberphile's Sarah Wiseman notes, things came down to a run-off between the traditional calculator layout and the telephone layout we know today. And the victory -- the triumph of IV-A -- was a matter of efficiency. "They did compare the telephone layout and the calculator layout," Wiseman says, "and they found the calculator layout was slower."
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...uttons/279237/
/Numberphile is a YouTube channel about mathematics and numbers, they have quite interesting videos/
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #37630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sure, why not...

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Kpc21, cinxxx, Capt.Vimes, x-type liked this post
Old December 15th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #37631
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6769

Until now, the waste recycling in my municipality looked so that the household had to choose whether it will sort the waste or not. If you decided to sort, you paid something like 5 PLN (1.2 EUR) less monthly fee for each person in the household. And what you only had to do was to sort the waste between the recyclables and non-recyclables.

Now, the government changed the law, and all the municipalities are obliged to require from those who declare sorting the waste to sort the recyclables between glass, plastic and paper. And so it becomes also in my municipality. They have sent separate bags for all those fractions of waste and - as we are supposed to use them to sort the recyclables.

For me personally, it doesn't matter, but my family is not really happy because of that and they will probably change the declaration, and they will no longer sort the trash but rather pay more for not sorting them. Sorting just between the recyclables and non-recyclables was OK for them, but when it becomes also necessary to sort the recyclables into different kinds of them, it becomes more cumbersome and, supposedly, demands too much room in the kitchen for separate bins (which you also have to buy, which costs money). And the fee for not sorting is not so much higher. In the new year, it is something like (I'm repeating it from my memory, so there might be a small error):
- 12.80 PLN (3 EUR) for a person for month if you are sorting,
- 17.80 PLN (4,2 EUR) for a person for month if you are not sorting.

This governmental policy is supposedly because too little waste in Poland is being sorted and recycled. But... if you demand not only sorting the waste between recyclables and non-recyclables, but also sorting the recyclables between glass, paper and plastic, it will end up with many people just resigning from sorting...

And, by the way, I am talking about a detached house here. But, for example, in housing associations, it's practically impossible to control if, assuming that the association declared sorting, the specific dweller sorts his waste or not...
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 09:28 AM   #37632
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

You will get used that over years. Probably sorting waste will become mandatory later. Here we are now used to sort everything, it works pretty good even in large blocks.
Except I still don't know where packaging styrofoam belongs

Kpc21 liked this post
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #37633
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Except I still don't know where packaging styrofoam belongs
Here in Italy (at least where I live), it belongs to plastic.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:25 PM   #37634
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Until now, the waste recycling in my municipality looked so that the household had to choose whether it will sort the waste or not. If you decided to sort, you paid something like 5 PLN (1.2 EUR) less monthly fee for each person in the household. And what you only had to do was to sort the waste between the recyclables and non-recyclables.

Now, the government changed the law, and all the municipalities are obliged to require from those who declare sorting the waste to sort the recyclables between glass, plastic and paper. And so it becomes also in my municipality. They have sent separate bags for all those fractions of waste and - as we are supposed to use them to sort the recyclables.

For me personally, it doesn't matter, but my family is not really happy because of that and they will probably change the declaration, and they will no longer sort the trash but rather pay more for not sorting them. Sorting just between the recyclables and non-recyclables was OK for them, but when it becomes also necessary to sort the recyclables into different kinds of them, it becomes more cumbersome and, supposedly, demands too much room in the kitchen for separate bins (which you also have to buy, which costs money). And the fee for not sorting is not so much higher. In the new year, it is something like (I'm repeating it from my memory, so there might be a small error):
- 12.80 PLN (3 EUR) for a person for month if you are sorting,
- 17.80 PLN (4,2 EUR) for a person for month if you are not sorting.

This governmental policy is supposedly because too little waste in Poland is being sorted and recycled. But... if you demand not only sorting the waste between recyclables and non-recyclables, but also sorting the recyclables between glass, paper and plastic, it will end up with many people just resigning from sorting...

And, by the way, I am talking about a detached house here. But, for example, in housing associations, it's practically impossible to control if, assuming that the association declared sorting, the specific dweller sorts his waste or not...
Here we have to sort between 5 categories (paper, plastic, glass+aluminium, organic waste and non-recyclable waste), plus some particular waste like batteries, prescription drugs, furniture, appliances, etc... must be taken in an autorized collection centre. We are doing it since the 1990s and most people think it's natural and make no problem about it.
Recycling is not just to save a few euros on waste tax, but it's important for the environment. Earth's resources aren't unlimited, neither it is the space to bury unsorted waste. Global population is constantly increasing years after years, so the amount of consumed resources and waste generated. It's sad that in 2017 people still don't realize that!
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:34 PM   #37635
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Here we have to sort between 5 categories (paper, plastic, glass+aluminium, organic waste and non-recyclable waste), plus some particular waste like batteries, prescription drugs, furniture, appliances, etc... must be taken in an autorized collection centre. We are doing it since the 1990s and most people think it's natural and make no problem about it.
Recycling is not just to save a few euros on waste tax, but it's important for the environment. Earth's resources aren't unlimited, neither it is the space to bury unsorted waste. Global population is constantly increasing years after years, so the amount of consumed resources and waste generated. It's sad that in 2017 people still don't realize that!
Don't make it all so simple... in Brescia this started only last year and in many neighborhoods of Turin it hasn't even started yet...
Especially in rural regions, people prefer to go to the fields and burn their waste instead of separating it.

And each municipality does that differently. For instance, some cities put Tetrapack in plastic, some others in paper...
Old December 15th, 2017, 12:58 PM   #37636
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Don't make it all so simple... in Brescia this started only last year and in many neighborhoods of Turin it hasn't even started yet...
Especially in rural regions, people prefer to go to the fields and burn their waste instead of separating it.

And each municipality does that differently. For instance, some cities put Tetrapack in plastic, some others in paper...
Really? I looked at a random street in Brescia and there seems to be separate containers, even in 2010 street view.
https://www.google.it/maps/@45.53236...7i13312!8i6656
If some people don't sort it's their own fault, but it's not that the service doesn't exist. I think that offering a recycling service is mandatory for municipalities.
Old December 15th, 2017, 02:52 PM   #37637
bogdymol
bogdymod

When I lived in Romania I wasn't sorting anything. There was just one trash container. Now they started to put separate paper and plastic containers, but I heard that in some places the garbage truck just empties them and mixes them inside (no, there are no garbage trucks in Romania with differente storage areas).

Once I moved to Austria, I had to start sorting everything (bio, paper, plastic, glass and others). You get used with it, but it occupies more room in the kitchen.

Last year I traveled to USA with an Austrian work colleague. At the hotel where we stayed the breakfast was served on single use dishes, tableware (spoon, fork etc), glasses etc. We were just a few persons at the breakfast, but a huge container was filled just with our waste. My Austrian colleague was shocked about that and did not understand how can you produce so much waste by just having a breakfast.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #37638
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Really? I looked at a random street in Brescia and there seems to be separate containers, even in 2010 street view.
https://www.google.it/maps/@45.53236...7i13312!8i6656
If some people don't sort it's their own fault, but it's not that the service doesn't exist. I think that offering a recycling service is mandatory for municipalities.
Yes there were, but it wasn't mandatory to use them.
Now, in Brescia, plastic and glass/metal are taken door to door, while organic waste and non-recyclable materials have their own container, which is operated electronically using a smart card, and it's mandatory to separate. Since everything is tracked, you can be fined if you use the service improperly.
Old December 15th, 2017, 03:35 PM   #37639
italystf

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Yes there were, but it wasn't mandatory to use them.
Now, in Brescia, plastic and glass/metal are taken door to door, while organic waste and non-recyclable materials have their own container, which is operated electronically using a smart card, and it's mandatory to separate. Since everything is tracked, you can be fined if you use the service improperly.
If you talk about door to door collection, it was introduced in my municipality only a couple of months ago. However, separated dumpster for different kinds of waste have been existing for 20+ years, and for civic-minded people it was common to sort their waste (it's mandatory now, maybe it was mandatory even before but impossible to enforce).
Old December 15th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #37640
MattiG

Likes (Received): 615

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Once I moved to Austria, I had to start sorting everything (bio, paper, plastic, glass and others). You get used with it, but it occupies more room in the kitchen.
In Germany, you need four trash bins to recycle a teabag: The bag into bio, the rope into others, the tag into paper, and the staple into metal.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways