daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:54 PM   #37721
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6780

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't like the new colors for major roads and motorways/expressways/highways in Google Maps? They look too similar.
I already got used to them.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:28 PM   #37722
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
They have two-phase to houses, where 120 V is between a single phase and neutral and 240 V between both phases. Am I wrong?
The American system for households is called "three-wire split-phase". It is not a 2-phase system but 1-phase. Switching the polarity of the second half is usually done in the distribution transformer. That does not provide with the key benefits of the 3-phase system: constant power over time, and less copper needed for the neutral cable.

In addition, they used to have a 2-phase system, where the phase angle is 90 degrees. That creates the torque needed to self-start motors, and the system dates back to the era when the physics of the 3-phase power were not yet fully known.

Quote:
Also, if I am not wrong, some European countries use systems where there is 230 V (or something close to it) between the phases and not between a single phase and neutral.
Well... That would need the voltage between phases and neutral being 132V if we are talking about 3-phase.

You might refer to the American 3-phase system where the voltages are 120V and 208V. (In the 3-phase system, the phase-to-phase voltage is sqrt(3)=1.73 times the phase-to-neutral one.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:32 PM   #37723
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 793

Yesterday I watched a movie about Christmas when some American guys are going to earn some cash selling Christmas trees in Canada.
One of them met one woman named Olga but she was from Gdansk. Americans think she was Russian. I think Americans can't judge much between one person being Polish, Slovak, Russian they look the same for them
But it was interesting Christmas movie although with a sad end.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

Kpc21 liked this post
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 01:58 PM   #37724
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Yesterday I watched a movie about Christmas when some American guys are going to earn some cash selling Christmas trees in Canada.
One of them met one woman named Olga but she was from Gdansk. Americans think she was Russian. I think Americans can't judge much between one person being Polish, Slovak, Russian they look the same for them
But it was interesting Christmas movie although with a sad end.
the 98 % of Slovaks do not know the difference between Latvia and Lithuania. This really is not something to blame Americans for.

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:33 PM   #37725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It may be only me but I have troubles also with minor roads: I can't tell them from the background.
I agree, there are too many bright colors. Background, local roads, major roads and motorways are all white/yellow.

The Dutch version of Google Maps also suffers from exonyms that nobody uses currently and nobody has ever used in the past, like Wilna for Vilnius or Laibach for Ljubljana. Some parts of Google Maps are infested with old German exonyms for Czech, Polish or Lithuanian towns. Pardubitz, Grünberg or Memel don't make any sense. Chisinau is not displayed at any zoom level.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kpc21 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 03:14 PM   #37726
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
the 98 % of Slovaks do not know the difference between Latvia and Lithuania. This really is not something to blame Americans for.
After I reserved a hotel over booking.com in St. Joseph, Michigan and not in St. Joseph, Missouri, I don't blame Americans anymore that they don't know difference between Slovenia, Slovakia, Russia or Poland.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 05:34 PM   #37727
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I agree, there are too many bright colors. Background, local roads, major roads and motorways are all white/yellow.

The Dutch version of Google Maps also suffers from exonyms that nobody uses currently and nobody has ever used in the past, like Wilna for Vilnius or Laibach for Ljubljana. Some parts of Google Maps are infested with old German exonyms for Czech, Polish or Lithuanian towns. Pardubitz, Grünberg or Memel don't make any sense. Chisinau is not displayed at any zoom level.
Interesting, Croatian version uses only endonymes for cities.
Names of coutries are for some reason written as endonymes and in English :
Rivers' names are real mixture: from some weird reason theys are written in Croatian (even Chinese rivers). I have found one weird river exonyme - Pad instead of Po. Really nobody uses Pad here, except Google
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:16 PM   #37728
Tenjac

Likes (Received): 40

Po river valley (in Croatian "Padska nizina") is rather common, though.

x-type liked this post
Tenjac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 06:38 PM   #37729
volodaaaa

Strange. I have got English exonyms for all geographical names only. If exist. Otherwise written in original language. The names of countries are noted solely in English. No other name nor script.

Btw. I am absolutely mad at translator: the languages are written in Slovak. It is not very handy since they are listed in alphabetical order and English is Angličtina while German is Nemčina. I have never searched English language near Albanian nor German near Macedonian

Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:01 PM   #37730
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read that Google uses Wikipedia as a reference for placenames in Google Maps. As a result of extreme customization (forcing everything into the language of the user), it adopts exonyms that are mentioned in Wikipedia even though they are not current anymore. I've even seen English Youtube video titles translated to Dutch in the app. In case of the French city of Lille, it uses Rijsel. Rijsel is chiefly a Flemish exonym, in Dutch the city is known and referred to as Lille. Yet Google uses 'Rijsel' in the .nl version of Google Maps.

It's unclear as to how far this extreme customization and translation of Google content is being rolled out to all countries.

For example; the Pardubice article on the Dutch Wikipedia. As you can see the article name is Pardubice, but the old German exonym of Pardubitz is mentioned for reference. So Google uses Pardubitz on Google Maps NL even though it makes no sense at all. In the rare case that Pardubice would be mentioned in Dutch media, it would be referred to as simply Pardubice, not the old German name.

Another problem of Dutch Wikipedia is insisting on using outdated spelling and exonyms that most people don't use and even the media adopted new spelling. For example, until 2012 the Dutch Wikipedia used 'Tsjoengking', a very outdated phonetic spelling of Chongqing that nobody ever uses. Many articles about cities on Dutch Wikipedia have endless talk pages about the name of the article.
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:02 PM   #37731
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6780

In Polish version, most names are in Polish, even if they are almost not used at all in practice. Also the rivers are in Polish, e.g. the Rhine river is Ren. But, for example, the Boden Lake at the border of Germany, Austria and Switzerland, in Polish - Jezioro Bodeńskie (the proper English name seems to be Lake Constance, no idea why), is shown as Bodensee and Obersee. Apart from Obersee, there is also Untersee, but without the Bodensee name any more. Anyway, maybe the name Bodensee on the map is supposed to apply to the whole and Ober- and Untersee for both parts, but it's not displayed properly.

How to check the names of mountains, I don't know, because they often have local names only. but the name of Rysy (it probably has a different English name, for sure there is a German one, which is different), the tallest mount of Poland, which is at the border with Slovakia (and its top is actually in Slovakia) is given in Polish.

But I checked the Mount Kosciuszko in Australia, as it is named by a Polish name, so in Polish it's usually translated to Góra Kościuszki ("the mountain of Kościuszko"). And it displays in English.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:18 PM   #37732
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I use Google Maps in German. It seems to be basically OK. Country names are in German, and only commonly used German exonyms are used like Mailand for Milan or Warschau for Warsaw.
There are some funny examples just like Kreuzburg an der Bistritz (Piatra Neamt). This German exonym is not even mentioned in German Wikipedia article. On the other side: Wroclaw (Breslau is commonly used in German).

To the colors: I, too, find the current design much worse than the previus one. I don't know why Google changed it.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:18 PM   #37733
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18302

cinxxx está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 11:40 PM   #37734
ChrisZwolle
Road user

My car has a stop/start system. It only works when you put it in neutral though. I basically never use it, as I rarely ever put my car in neutral except for the express point of letting it idle to keep the A/C going during a brief stop.

The fuel savings are really, really small. My car consumes maybe 0.5 - 0.6 liters of fuel per hour when idling. Driving a few days into a headwind cost you more fuel than you'll ever save with a stop/start system.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:32 AM   #37735
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My car has a stop/start system. It only works when you put it in neutral though. I basically never use it, as I rarely ever put my car in neutral except for the express point of letting it idle to keep the A/C going during a brief stop.

The fuel savings are really, really small. My car consumes maybe 0.5 - 0.6 liters of fuel per hour when idling. Driving a few days into a headwind cost you more fuel than you'll ever save with a stop/start system.
It is not about the cost only but emissions, too. There is quite a widespread rule of thumb that the break-even is at 10 seconds: Idling more than 10 seconds creates more emissions than a restart. I do not know whether is based on any scientific research or not.

Of course, the system works better on automatic transmission.

The key problem is that the start/stop usually does not work in the cold calm winter days, when the pollution peaks in big cities. In my car, the threshold is something like -3 to -5 degrees centigrade. The power of the battery drops in the cold, and repeated frequent restarts would kill it.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:03 PM   #37736
volodaaaa

the banner! ?

Kpc21 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:07 PM   #37737
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Waberer's trucks parked along A67 in the Netherlands so they bus all truckers home for Christmas. It is alleged that many of these truck drivers spend almost their entire year in Western Europe.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, Attus liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:10 PM   #37738
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I use Google Maps in Spanish, and they also have some weird exonyms. For example Den Bosch ('s-Hertogenbosch) shows up as Bolduque. Those exonyms are also used by Wikipedia.

BTW, Google Maps isn't tied to the extension. The URLs for it usually end with "?hl=xx", while xx is the language code. And this can be changed, for example https://www.google.es/maps/@42.14662...1423,14z?hl=ja, which causes Google Maps to show in Japanese even if it's the Spanish version (.es). I usually remove this string so it shows the default language for each user.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:12 PM   #37739
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21242

Where do people store camper vans and trailers in the cities of your countries? Here in Bergen at least I seems several of disused factories and lots are makeshift camper van depots. Must be brutal because of All the rain. Streets are mostly too narrow or steep for parking such vehicles here and most houses don't have the space for that either.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:16 PM   #37740
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4005

Question about Google Maps: when some street is being renamed, how is that should be implemented in Google Maps when there is no Map Maker anymore?
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways