daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:24 PM   #37741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

Google Maps doesn't care about input of users anymore. You can send feedback (bottom of the page), but this is usually not accepted until they verify it with Street View.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2017, 02:40 PM   #37742
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4006

Then all the data will be frozen in time... On the other hand, a standard junction has been converted into roundabout, which is visible from satellite image. But Google doesn't care...
Alex_ZR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 03:46 PM   #37743
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

on the bottom right klick on 'give feedback' right next to the scale (it is really small)
Old December 23rd, 2017, 04:42 PM   #37744
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6783

In Poland, they are doing it, but only for roads and with some delay.

Now some streets in Łódź will be renamed due to weird "anti-communist" governmental policy, e.g. we have the Victory Square, which will become... Kaczyński Square, because Victory Square was a communism-related name. We will see how long it will take for Google to implement those changes.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 06:26 PM   #37745
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1755

I remember map creator. When a street in my neighbourhood was switch to one way mode I just edited the map and the map then received son likes. The more likes the sooner was the change accepted. Took approximately 3days. Now another street was switched to one way mode. I used this feedback option. For a month nothing has changed in the official version. Needless to say that most of gps systems draw their data on Google so foreign drivers are still being navigated into a wrong way.

Kpc21 liked this post
volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:04 PM   #37746
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

In a partial defense of Google, it started its more harsh policy after a sting of blunders or organized covert action: in some neighborhoods, or some beach communities in US, people organized with the help of some tech-savvy persons to edit and give likes to non-factual map edits. The goal was to prevent Google routing traffic through their streets and, in a high-is (relatively) profile case, keep a "secret" beach access secret for the locals only. There was also a case of cyclists mobilizing to put rogue edits on Google Maps to create "impromptu" calmed streets, through allocation of a non-factual speed limit there.

BTW, I read a while ago that some small towns in Austria wanted some form of "right not be routed through", to no avail of course - essentially, towns wanted to demand routing vendors purposefully re-routed traffic to higher-specs highways and did not send traffic there when nearby wider roads were congested. I am not sure this case in Austria actually happens or was just a hoax, would like to know more.
Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:09 PM   #37747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, there is a reason why road authorities sometimes sign directions via a longer, but better suited route. Sometimes it is politically motivated, but the less mileage driven through unsuitable streets, the better, as long as the alternative is reasonable.

For example, a route from Madrid to Valladolid. The recommended route takes almost 80 kilometers of two-lane road while the motorway alternative via A-6/A-62 is only 2 minutes longer, but isn't even presented as an alternative. The two alternatives that they do show are longer than A-6/A-62. The algorithm route is not always the best.

Old December 23rd, 2017, 08:12 PM   #37748
Suburbanist
on the road

Travel time accuracy on Google has improved quite a bit. The problem is that it ignores the volatility of travel time, and that it doesn't consider much "comfort of driving" - most people would agree spending 10min more (on a 90 min trip) on a full-fledged highway to be far less stressful than negotiating 2-lane roads full of intersections, low speeds while crossing towns etc. ViaMichelin had a great routing algorithm, although it became unreliable due to the virtual shutdown of their mapping services, kept alive as a skeleton more than as a current service.

TomTom has better traffic routing algorithms (probably because they sell a lot of routing solutions for truckers, which need reliable information on driving restrictions).
Old December 23rd, 2017, 10:35 PM   #37749
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In Poland, they are doing it, but only for roads and with some delay.

Now some streets in Łódź will be renamed due to weird "anti-communist" governmental policy, e.g. we have the Victory Square, which will become... Kaczyński Square, because Victory Square was a communism-related name. We will see how long it will take for Google to implement those changes.
oh, you have those things too. here are almost all Republic Squares banned because it was the name of the main square in Zagreb in communist time. (ironic, they have left Tito Square, and there are still polemics about it; I think it's been renamed this year)
Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:49 PM   #37750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Rain all the way here in Bergen

It has been raining far above average here for more than 1 year. The final annual precipitation for 2017 is likely to be 3400mm
You've got more coming:

Old December 23rd, 2017, 11:50 PM   #37751
Kpc21

Well, it's the invention of our new government. Before, it was normal.

And for me, Victory Square is totally OK. After all, this was a victory. Against the nazi Germany.

What's even more interesting, while in other cities, in the acts giving name to their Victory Squares, it was explained that it refers to the victory of the allied countries and especially the Soviet Union, in case of Łódź, the Soviet Union wasn't mentioned there separately.

Meanwhile, they leave the Franklin Delano Roosevelt street, even though we don't really much reason to be thankful to him for anything, as he was one of the Big Three who were deciding together about the post-war shape of Europe and also decided that Poland will be a Soviet Union satellite country. Maybe he had no other choice but to agree with that and let Stalin do it - but still, there is really no more reason to give him a street than to name a square for the victory against the nazism.

To add something to the discussion about the date of the Orthodox Christmas - there is one good reason why their date makes much sense. They have snow for Christmas. All the English-language Christmas songs talk about winter, about snow, about sleighs etc., but it's already really a few years since I recently could see snow for Christmas. It's rather a rare situation, at least in Poland. The "real winter" usually starts around the New Year. For the last few years, it was more common to see snow for Easter rather than for Christmas! And with the Orthodox Christmas time, this is not a problem as it's in the time when there is usually already some snow.

Junkie liked this post

Last edited by Kpc21; December 23rd, 2017 at 11:56 PM.
Old December 24th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #37752
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
Well, it's the invention of our new government. Before, it was normal.

And for me, Victory Square is totally OK. After all, this was a victory. Against the nazi Germany.

What's even more interesting, while in other cities, in the acts giving name to their Victory Squares, it was explained that it refers to the victory of the allied countries and especially the Soviet Union, in case of Łódź, the Soviet Union wasn't mentioned there separately.

Meanwhile, they leave the Franklin Delano Roosevelt street, even though we don't really much reason to be thankful to him for anything, as he was one of the Big Three who were deciding together about the post-war shape of Europe and also decided that Poland will be a Soviet Union satellite country. Maybe he had no other choice but to agree with that and let Stalin do it - but still, there is really no more reason to give him a street than to name a square for the victory against the nazism.

To add something to the discussion about the date of the Orthodox Christmas - there is one good reason why their date makes much sense. They have snow for Christmas. All the English-language Christmas songs talk about winter, about snow, about sleighs etc., but it's already really a few years since I recently could see snow for Christmas. It's rather a rare situation, at least in Poland. The "real winter" usually starts around the New Year. For the last few years, it was more common to see snow for Easter rather than for Christmas! And with the Orthodox Christmas time, this is not a problem as it's in the time when there is usually already some snow.
I agree about Nazi Germany. In the western world, fascism is forgotten and its not mentioned at all, only former-communist states remember it. It is really shame to speak about only one part of the history and erasing the rest. Why are more people concerned about the communists and not about the fascists?

About Christmas, last here I had a snowy Christmas on 7th January. Even here in Macedonia we have big snow in January, last year we had around 20 days of snow and freeze in the capital and temperatures bellow -15 C....
I think now we will have white Christmas. It is unique. The Julian calendar was the first to exist so it is more traditional but astronomically is not correct.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 01:05 AM   #37753
Kpc21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I agree about Nazi Germany. In the western world, fascism is forgotten and its not mentioned at all, only former-communist states remember it. It is really shame to speak about only one part of the history and erasing the rest. Why are more people concerned about the communists and not about the fascists?
In Poland the government is concerned about the nazism too, as, for example, they are now trying to get some compensations from Germany for the Polish loses in the WW2. It's a fact that they just robbed many goods during the war, and even now, there are e.g. many pieces of art formerly possessed by Poles, now in German hands. And, supposedly, they have never paid any compensations to us and they did to the western countries - concerning that, I don't know if they are right. Anyway, our current government is, in general, quite anti-German and anti-Russian.

If the fascism is actually forgotten and not mentioned in the western world (which I don't really believe), it might be because Germans, maybe, did not so much damage to them as they did to Poland. Again, I am not sure if I am right, maybe e.g. France actually suffered very much in similar way too, for example in other cities - but Paris still has all the historical buildings in the city, while Warsaw was totally destroyed during the war, also the whole historical center was lost and it was rebuilt after the war. Warsaw in 1944 was just a total ruin, everything demolished.

Germans suffered much too, e.g. in Dresden in 1945, so maybe this is why they are also very concerned about that. Apart, of course, from the fact that actually they were the cause of everything.
Old December 24th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #37754
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

I think is called war reparations and West Germany paid big loads of money to the Brits, France and the Soviets in the 50's but I should search, I am not sure. If this is correct than Germany should pay to many other countries the damage they did.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 01:31 AM   #37755
Kpc21

Yes, this is called reparations.
Old December 24th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #37756
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
I think is called war reparations and West Germany paid big loads of money to the Brits, France and the Soviets in the 50's but I should search, I am not sure. If this is correct than Germany should pay to many other countries the damage they did.
West Germany signed settlement agreements in the 1950s to solve these issues. Before that, war reparation agreements had been signed and put in place, but the Russians indirectly looted Poland as well. Substantial parts of whatever was left from the industrial infrastructure in Germany were dismantled and send east (mostly).

Poland got a decent size of land where historically Polish-origin inhabitants had never been a majority, which also entailed the removal of around 2.7 million inhabitants of German-ancestry people in the aftermath of WW2.

The East German government was not a part of these agreements that normalized West Germany back into normal international relations. Poland and some other Warsaw-pact countries did not want to undermine the puppet regime of the DDR and wouldn't fathom a "normalized" West Germany. All under pressure of the Soviets.

So blame the Soviet masters that ruled Poland from Moscow for the situation, not the German government.

Further agreements were reached in the 1960s and a final diplomatic agreement with Poland was reached in the early 1990s after the fall of the communist bloc.

It is too late to try to revive the question, almost all people who were adults in WW2 are already or are soon going to be dead.

Trying to ask for reparations like Greece or Poland did is a cheap unnecessary political stunt aimed at internal audiences and resentment that Germany is substantially more prosperous nowadays, but it is past time to ask Germany to keep paying compensation for WW2.

Kpc21, MichiH, TrojaA liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 02:32 AM   #37757
Kpc21

Quote:
Poland got a decent size of land where historically Polish-origin inhabitants had never been a majority, which also entailed the removal of around 2.7 million inhabitants of German-ancestry people in the aftermath of WW2.
And no other country benefited so much from the before-war German lands. This can also be considered a reparation.

Someone may here raise the issue that Poland did not become bigger as a result of that. We gained a lot of land on the west, but lost a lot of land on the east.

But the thing that we lost the land on the east is not a problem of Germans. It's not them who invaded us from the east.

MichiH liked this post
Old December 24th, 2017, 09:41 AM   #37758
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
In the western world, fascism is forgotten and its not mentioned at all, only former-communist states remember it. It is really shame to speak about only one part of the history and erasing the rest. Why are more people concerned about the communists and not about the fascists?
I don't know what's your definition of "the western world" but it's totally different in (former Western) Germany.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #37759
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
TomTom has better traffic routing algorithms (probably because they sell a lot of routing solutions for truckers, which need reliable information on driving restrictions).
The TomTom's superiority to rivals is not about the algorithms only but about the crowdsourced real data. The devices measure the real driving time for each leg, and send the results to TomTom. That data is processed to be merged as metadata into the maps. As the devices know the variation by time and weekday, the estimates are amazingly accurate.

TomTom's congestion index is based on the same data.

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:50 AM   #37760
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2115

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiG View Post
The TomTom's superiority to rivals is not about the algorithms only but about the crowdsourced real data. The devices measure the real driving time for each leg, and send the results to TomTom. That data is processed to be merged as metadata into the maps. As the devices know the variation by time and weekday, the estimates are amazingly accurate.

TomTom's congestion index is based on the same data.
I have to agree on this.
My new car is equipped with an in dash Tom Tom navigation system, and during my yesterday's travel from northern to central Italy it notified me of every queue and slowdown, almost split-second.
My old Garmin was much cruder in that respect, although it improved considerably over the year.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways