daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #37781
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

I usually watch movies and TV series at home with English subtitles. That way you'll learn something and the wordplays and jokes don't get lost in translation.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #37782
bogdymol
bogdymod

When I was a kid all cartoons in Romania were “imported” from English speaking countries (mostly USA) without doubling or translation. That’s how my generation learned the basics of English language. Now all cartoons are dubbed in Romanian...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #37783
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Most Christmas songs played on FM radio in the Netherlands are just the standard 15-20 'classic' songs you hear every year. (Wham, Mariah Carey, Chris Rea, Band Aid, John Lennon, etc.)
The same for German radio stations but you forget AC/DC and there famous Christmas song 'Mistress for Christmas'. For instance, it was played on the most popular German radio station yesterday afternoon. I guess they can play it because most Germans don't understand the lyrics...

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/acdc...christmas.html

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 01:28 PM   #37784
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Home alone is in the TV in Hungary as well, of course. However, the original English title is almost unknown, the Hungarian title means literally "You shall tremble, burglars!". In the 90's and 2000's ever year was some movie about Jesus in the TV as well, but no more.
Religious Christmas carols are less and less popular in Hungary. "Christmas music" means the well known American songs like Last Christmas or Dreaming of a white christmas. Nothing about Jesus.

Hungarian society, just like almost all European nations, gets far from christian religion.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #37785
Alex_ZR

Likes (Received): 4016

Polish dubbing is mostly one person who reads text for all caracters while you can hear original speach in the background...
Alex_ZR está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #37786
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
That's right, but with a few exceptions: summer holiday congestion in Central Europe.

Long queues at the Gotthard Tunnel or several other Alpine tunnels, occur only a few times per year, on slightly different dates. Historical data doesn't take this into account sufficiently. In addition, delays at Google Maps especially get 'saturated'. It rarely shows delays over 80 minutes even though waiting times can get over 2 - 3 hours. TomTom appears to be better at this.
There are two quite different approaches here: The historical static data enables the optimation engine to find the most probable best route to match with the optimization criteria. Traffic announcements and data as dynamic information enable the navigator to make adjustment to the default route. These techniques are not exclusive but supplementrary.

My experience about driving in the congested Central Europe tells that TomTom can perform very well in the difficult traffic situations as well. The dynamic data, of course, cannot be realtime to one minute accuracy. It is based on devices submitting messages about detecting exceptional speed, and a jam takes while to accumulate.

TomTom seems to constantly fail in sparsely populated areas where a big part of the road network is gravel roads, an where the traffic volumes are too low to collect the statistical data. The company is quite arrogant in its operations, and fails to fix even the most miserable routing failures.

I have some experience about creating route finding applications during last few decades. The basic route calculation code is quite simple. After that has been programmed, about 98% of the work is ahead: implementing turning restrictions, default speed limits by road class, penalties from turning left and right, traffic lights, spot speed limits, map updates, exceptions, text-to-speech, etc.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #37787
MattiG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
My mobile navigation system (Becker with Here Maps) loves to use parallel carriageways through large interchanges instead of using the main carriageway. It also happens at normal interchanges where the off-ramp turns into the on-ramp again after the junction with the secondary road. Not because anything is congested but even if you drive 120km/h on an empty motorway...
This is quite a trivial error, which can be avoided easily in many ways.

For some reason, Here seems not to put enough effort for developing its routing engine, at least the one available in consumer products. It sometimes makes quite odd routes. In addition, it is not always consistent. If we have two routes A-X-Y and B-X-Y arriving at Y at the same moment, the routing from X to Y might not be same.
Old December 25th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #37788
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
The thing which is almost always dubbed in Poland are the documentaries, especially those about nature.

Because dubbing of a documentary is much simpler than of a fabular movie - you usually need only one actor.
I really don't like 'dubbing'. I grew up with SerboCroatian subtitle language watching cartoons and documentaries. But always with the original tone of the series. However there were few reportages where there was interpreter of the documentary but not dubbing.
I also learned English as a kid. Then the Internet was brought up and everything is changed.

Also many people learned Spanish language because of TV series. I know like 20 people that can have conversation in Spanish because they watched series for like a year or more....

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #37789
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post

Hungarian society, just like almost all European nations, gets far from christian religion.
How come your prime minister had quite deep religious Christmas message in Magyar Idok this year?
Old December 25th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #37790
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Nothing compares to Slovenian translation of voldemort from Harry potter movie.
Was it different from the one in the book?

In the Polish translations, the movie translators kept all the original translations from the book, so readers don't get confused.

And Voldemort is just Voldemort, it's not changed. This name has Latin origins, so it's understood more or less the same in all European languages. "Mort" must have something to do with death. And it makes sense as its a name which he invented for himself.

There was more room for inventions for the translators in case of his real name, Tom Marvolo Riddle. I remember, in the book there was a case where the young Riddle was telling Harry Potter who he really is, so he conjured with his wand the words "Tom Marvolo Riddle" and changed the order of letters so that it created a text "I am Lord Voldemort". If I remember well (it's long time since I read the Polish version, the last time I was reading it in English), in the Polish translation it was just left unchanged.

But e.g. in the Goblet of Fire book, there was this sphinx's riddle in the last task - and there, there was again place for invention for the translator - the text of the riddle had to be changed to keep its sense. In the Polish version, it looked really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
When I was a kid all cartoons in Romania were “imported” from English speaking countries (mostly USA) without doubling or translation. That’s how my generation learned the basics of English language. Now all cartoons are dubbed in Romanian...
In Poland, many cable TV networks ("networks" - their area of operation often did not exceed one city district or a housing estate... there still exist some so small cable TV networks, but most of them got overtaken by big countrywide ones) had some foreign TV channels, especially in the times before specialized TV channels, also ones for children, appeared in Polish versions. So who had cable TV, often could e.g. watch Cartoon Network in the English version, before the Polish one even appeared.

But I wasn't that lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_ZR View Post
Polish dubbing is mostly one person who reads text for all caracters while you can hear original speach in the background...
Well, I don't call it dubbing
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #37791
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Chongqing on Google Maps.

* extremely small difference between expressways and other two-lane roads
* no way to tell what is urban and what is not
* the city name marker of Chongqing is placed outside of the city.
* the color scheme is a pain to the eyes if you try to 'read' the map, it's all bright.

I can't understand how those Google map makers think this is an improvement over the previous color scheme. It's terrible.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, EasySeven liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #37792
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
There was more room for inventions for the translators in case of his real name, Tom Marvolo Riddle. I remember, in the book there was a case where the young Riddle was telling Harry Potter who he really is, so he conjured with his wand the words "Tom Marvolo Riddle" and changed the order of letters so that it created a text "I am Lord Voldemort". If I remember well (it's long time since I read the Polish version, the last time I was reading it in English), in the Polish translation it was just left unchanged.
In Italian it was translated as "Tom Orvoloson Riddle" in order to anagram it as "Son io Lord Voldemort" (I am Lord Voldemort).

Many other names in the book and later in the movie were changed. Dumbledore was renamed "Silente" (Silent), McGonagall becomes McGranitt, Severus Snape is Severus Piton.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #37793
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
How come your prime minister had quite deep religious Christmas message in Magyar Idok this year?
He wrote: "Christianity is a culture and a civilization. No matter if people go to the church, no matter if they pray, culture is how we live". For me it's everything but religious.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #37794
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
In Italian it was translated as "Tom Orvoloson Riddle" in order to anagram it as "Son io Lord Voldemort" (I am Lord Voldemort).
In Spanish he was named "Tom Sorvolo Ryddle" so it could be anagrammed to Soy Lord Voldemort, which is what "I am Lord Voldemort" translates to.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #37795
MattiG

Quote:
Chongqing on Google Maps.

* extremely small difference between expressways and other two-lane roads
* no way to tell what is urban and what is not
* the city name marker of Chongqing is placed outside of the city.
* the color scheme is a pain to the eyes if you try to 'read' the map, it's all bright.

I can't understand how those Google map makers think this is an improvement over the previous color scheme. It's terrible.
A similar issue applies to many other digital maps: Openstreetmap pre-rendered tiles, Here wego, TomTom Android: The contrast of the rendered map is far too weak to be used in a car during a sunny day. The rendering approach of Viamichelin is quite good. (But ViaMichelin renders most of the Finnish street numbers at the wrong side of the street.)

I have made a custom color scheme for the TomTom Go Android application: Stronger colors of roads, and a more visible classification. Still some fine-tuning to go to make more distinction between residential streets and pedestrsian/bicycle only paths.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:49 PM   #37796
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

We have Tom Marvoloso Riddle thus Som Lord Voldemort - I am Lord voldemort. But slovenes have something like Mrlakenstein :-D

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #37797
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
We have Tom Marvoloso Riddle thus Som Lord Voldemort - I am Lord voldemort. But slovenes have something like Mrlakenstein :-D
Where is the "i" of Riddle in "Som Lord Voldemort"?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 08:15 PM   #37798
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Where is the "i" of Riddle in "Som Lord Voldemort"?
Good point. I replayed the scene and it was "a som i lord Voldemort " meaning "and i am the Lord voldemort at the same time". Though grammatically correct, it sounds like from 18th century. Nobody would say that this way.

Sorry for misleading.
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 09:27 PM   #37799
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Many other names in the book and later in the movie were changed. Dumbledore was renamed "Silente" (Silent), McGonagall becomes McGranitt, Severus Snape is Severus Piton.
In the Polish name - I think the only human character whose name was changed (really changed, I am not talking about replacing first names with things being basically the same but sounding better in Polish) was Cornelius Fudge. In Polish it's Korneliusz Knot. Korneliusz - just a small modification so that it sounds better in Polish, there is many of them, with Hermiona for Hermione in the first place.

Knot means in Polish a candle wick. But it sounds similar to "knuć" which can be translated as "to fudge" or "knocić" (which is a derivative of "knot") meaning something like mess up with something and break it as a result.

When something sounds like from 18th century in Harry Potter, then it's good, it should be so

In the English original, instead of the word snake, very often the word serpent (also meaning snake) was used. It's an old word for a snake in English, and it's used for example in the Biblical story about Adam and Eve.

But I don't think there is such a special word for a mythical snake in most languages, so this had to be lost in translation.

The names of non-human creatures are all translated, or rather the translator invented Polish equivalents. Same as with the names of all the species of magical creatures. Some of them actually exist in different mythologies or in the earlier fantasy literature, so they could be simply translated, but others were J.K. Rowling inventions and then, there was a problem.

The same was with different items and artifacts. And concerning them... I don't consider the Polish translation very good, but translating such a thing is in general a very difficult task. One of the worst translation is the Golden Snitch. In Polish it's złoty znicz. And the only what the Polish name has in common with the English original is how it sounds. Znicz in Polish is a kind of ceremonial light, e.g. the lights you put on graves of your relatives are called so, or this huge torch that is fired at the start of the olympic games - it's also znicz (znicz olimpijski) in Polish. What this has to do with a small sneaky flying ball - no idea.

A good thing which was done in the Polish translation and which was not present in the English original is related to the Hogwarts houses. Hogwarts was in the Polish version changed to Hogwart (Hogwarts with the "s" at the end would be difficult to decline in Polish, in the same way, when the name McDonald's is used in Polish, the last "s" is usually omitted in pronunciation and then it's declined without it: "I go to McDonald's" - "idę do McDonaldu", "there are 11 McDonald's restaurants in Łódź" - " w Łodzi jest 11 McDonaldów"). But in Hogwarts you had houses: Griffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw. In the Polish translation, their names are not changed in any way. In the original, the members of those houses were called: Griffindors, Slytherins and so on. The translator changed the names of the members of the houses, so that they sound like slang names invented by the Hogwarts students: Griffindors are "Gryfoni" (from "gryf" - a griffin), Slytherins are "Ślizgoni" (from "śliski" - slippery, probably because the symbol of Slytherin was a snake, or a serpent, and it has slippery skin), Hufflepuffs are "Puchoni" (from "puch" - fluff, probably because the name of the house ends with "puff"), Ravenclaws are "Krukoni" (from "kruk" - a raven). Without this change, it would be difficult to use the names of houses also as the names of their members in Polish, so it would be probably have to be replaced with "the students from Griffindor" and so on. With it, it not only makes sense, but even looks better than in the original.

But I can see that in the Dutch version really many names were changed! And even for secondary characters.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #37800
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
He wrote: "Christianity is a culture and a civilization. No matter if people go to the church, no matter if they pray, culture is how we live". For me it's everything but religious.
But he is still strongly refering to Christian heritage, which is, after all, the only right option for historical European identity. (Let's not forget that major part of European culture that we know today went out of Christian heritage)

Tags
highways, motorways