daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 26th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #37821
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I think about 5 million Muslims live in Germany today.
So these Muslims can move freely in other countries because they are Europeans by political and social rights. Then I don't understand why Hungary and Poland being in the union and got every rights for their own citizen, act that 'all Muslims' should suddenly stop coming to their lands. Is this deprivation of rights?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #37822
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

I also don't understand many politicians. I was in Romania with a Muslim and he had no problem at all. It was during Ramadan and he even managed getting his breakfast at midnight...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Junkie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #37823
bogdymol
bogdymod

You guys do realise that I asked about Santa’s presents to stop this religious / eastern europe debate, right?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog

ChrisZwolle liked this post
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:22 PM   #37824
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Mission miserably failed
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2017, 11:42 PM   #37825
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Lets take this one: Why did you create an account in Skyscrapercity ? are you only using it for reading about road building and maintenance ? What else do you read about in this huge forum ??
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #37826
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
So these Muslims can move freely in other countries because they are Europeans by political and social rights. Then I don't understand why Hungary and Poland being in the union and got every rights for their own citizen, act that 'all Muslims' should suddenly stop coming to their lands. Is this deprivation of rights?
Thankfully, there are no laws allowing to ban Muslims. All this issue is about illegal immigrants that are mostly Muslims. Populist politicians often unify those two different issues, but it is not the same.

Kpc21 liked this post
volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #37827
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Hungary, Poland and Slovakia obviously hate Muslims because of communist reasons
What does communism have to do with hating Muslims?

Communism was generally anti-religious.

Quote:
Because you are part of the civilized world I really can't understand why you don't agree with legal Muslim migration, since those have rights to settle to your country.
The question is, which part of this migration is actually legal.

Quote:
LOL
What has been built is already done and you think nothing will constantly change and mature. For example how would you explain the big percentages of atheism in the Netherlands?
But those atheists are still e.g. celebrating Christmas, aren't they?

And even if you get rid of the religious aspects of Christmas - you still follow some traditions, like even gift giving, or others, whatever Christmas traditions you have in your country, that have religious origin.

Maybe they will even be old pagan customs adapted later by the Christianity, but they exist.

And all the concern is actually not about the religion, but about the culture. You can rule out the religion, it will still be present. They say so, at least. I don't really see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
A cousin of mine is a teacher. She told me that it was not allowed this year to call her school's Christmas party "Christmas party" but it had to be called "year-end party"...
And this is the problem. It goes too far.

By the way, I also don't have any problems with Balkans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
We shouldn't remove Christian symbols or halt public celebrations because someone who came from far away may be offended. If they want, they are free to show their own symbols or to make their own celebrations. We shoud allow other cultures and religions until the point that they don't conflict with our laws (for example, religion-motivated terrorism, family violence, child marriages, or female genital mutilations are serious crimes and must be punished as such).
Yes, this is exactly the thing we are pointing out.

Quote:
Who says so? Even though I don't support the current Polish government (the previous one neither), the only thing my government opposes is agreeing to admit groups of illegal immigrants of unknown origin, claiming to be refugees, but not being able to present any documents that could confirm that. It has absolutely nothing to do with native-European Muslims from the Balkans that have always lived there and are already a part of the European society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
Lets take this one: Why did you create an account in Skyscrapercity ? are you only using it for reading about road building and maintenance ? What else do you read about in this huge forum ??
Not only roads This forum is theoretically about skyscrapers. In my city there are no skyscrapers - the tallest office building has 22 levels, the tallest residential one has 26 levels. Actually, the only thread in the SSC division of my city in which it is allowed to discuss about skyscrapers is the one whether we should have skyscrapers in the city at all. Because there are some good reasons why not to build them.

But, for example, a big part of the SSC apart from roads, is also the public transportation. And I like following the public transport threads even more than the ones about roads. Even though roads are important, and also used by the public transport, the public transport in a big city is just necessary.
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #37828
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You guys do realise that I asked about Santa’s presents to stop this religious / eastern europe debate, right?
I have got two sweaters (o. k. one sweater and one pullover, to be correct ) and of course a few crazy socks (the ones I like most have the pattern of fried eggs ).

And we are toying with the idea of buying a roof box for our car, but due to a bad health condition of our dog we are not very likely to travel anywhere. So the "purchase project" is postponed for the time being. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift.

Old December 27th, 2017, 11:31 AM   #37829
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Quote:
I became a member in 2006 because of skyscraper project in my city and it was interesting to see supertall project updates from Dubai and other cities.

Around that time (2006), Skyscrapercity was one of the best websites to get project updates of any kind of construction project, anywhere in the world. Not only skyscrapers but also infrastructure. Back then, social media wasn't a thing yet.

Right now I largely focus on the Highways & Autobahns section and am a reader in many other subforums. Skyscrapercity is still a great place to get project updates from faraway countries I will likely never visit.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:16 PM   #37830
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

It is strange to visit a place where you used to live as a visitor. People at hotel or other places see my foregin bank cards and/or ID and never guess I speak Dutch lol. Nevertheless I am shopping quite a bit here in Amsterdam, prices for things like apparel are 40% cheaper than in Norway and I qualify to buy with VAT refund because I now live outside the EU. I also bought some 80kg of specialized superfoods and nutrition supplements and sent them by post, it is quite a niche thijng that costs 400% more in Norway. So even paying import fees and packaging costs it is still 2000 Euro savings. I
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #37831
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
I have interest in any kind of traffic/transport (in my language it's the same word). For me traffic is a giant, very complex system, where all participants, cars, trains, buses, trucks, airplanes, etc. are not enemies but every one has its role. I follow a lot of public transport threads as well.
I have never visited any thread outside the "Infrastructure and mobility" section.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #37832
volodaaaa

Quote:
To begin with architecture and construction are not my hobby. So I avoided this page as much as possible. But in 2013 we were about to sell our apartment and move elsewhere. As I was browsing and looking for some projects I bumped into a Slovak topic related to buying an apartment - what to care about, what to watch out for, etc. So I gave it a shot and became familiar with this single topic. One day I was bored to hell, checked the topic tree and found this mobility subforum.

It is a perfect source of information I am able to utilize even in my work. Furthermore this forum is quite a good way to practice written English on almost everyday base.

Old December 27th, 2017, 03:10 PM   #37833
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 796

There is a lot to answer to you about the previous discussion but I will skip it.
Just to note that my ancestry from both sides is Christian all of my grand grand parents were Orthodox. I really respect their desire and will that they struggled to save their tradition and religion. This was underlined in the previous discussion and I agree with you all

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

Kpc21 liked this post
Junkie está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 12:16 AM   #37834
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

For Christmas I got winter socks and jumpers. I love this time of year, mostly because I love wearing winter clothing, especially jumpers and scarves.

As for why I became a member of SSC, I suppose it was because it was the only place I could talk about nerdy things (though I beg you not to look back at my posts from a decade ago...) like road signs and railway extensions. It also gave me an opportunity to write in English as I didn't really have any other reason to do so at the time, as I had left the UK when I was 8 my written English was far from perfect.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #37835
Suburbanist
on the road

Scarves are useless where I live now. Never touched mine.
Old December 28th, 2017, 08:08 AM   #37836
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Scarves are useless where I live now. Never touched mine.
You live on the Equator?

Old December 28th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #37837
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
You live on the Equator?
No. But it rains so much in Bergen that scarves are just sponges for cold water .
Old December 28th, 2017, 07:18 PM   #37838
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Have you tried using the scarf under your jacket?
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #37839
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Carry an umbrella, they are lovely too.
DanielFigFoz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #37840
Suburbanist
on the road

Guys rain in Bergen is not the kind of rain you offset with umbrellas. It often comes accompanied by wind and it is also often pouring dense rain. I am adapting to lightweight waterproof jackets with GoreTex.

Kpc21 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways