daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 30th, 2017, 08:53 AM   #37861
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
My maximum was 199,000km. I'll pass 100,000km for the third time very some (200km missing)...
I make about 30.000 km annually in average so I always buy upper class cars, but used. With them they look and feel almost new even at 150.000 km and making 1000 km in one day is "nothing special".
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #37862
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Don't forget your CRIT'Air in addition to your Umweltplakette. Your windshield will be full of stickers
I had no idea about the French sticker.
As I understand it is mandatory only during pollution peaks, which is not happening now. So I can drive there without one, right? It's too late now to order one.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:20 AM   #37863
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Voloda (or anyone :-)), today I found only three kind of Deli: čokoladová, pistaciová and oriešková. There used to be at least five: malinková and hrozienková (the czech names differ slightly ;-)). They don't exist any more, or I simply had no luck today?
I have never heard of this product being ceased to be produced any more. However, currently it seems to be impossible to find the aforementioned bars on the market (even e-shops). Maybe some seasonal market effect.

They do exist according to the official site of Deli:
https://www.orioncokolada.cz/sk/vyrobky/deli

volodaaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:24 AM   #37864
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Well, winter season is the worst time but you need the sticker from the 5th day of an air pollution peak only. There is currently no pre-warning alert. That means, you are save for next 5 days

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

g.spinoza liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:25 AM   #37865
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
I have never heard of this product being ceased to be produced any more. However, currently it seems to be impossible to find the aforementioned bars on the market (even e-shops). Maybe some seasonal market effect.

They do exist according to the official site of Deli:
https://www.orioncokolada.cz/sk/vyrobky/deli
Thanks. Perhaps I'll have more luck next time :-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:28 AM   #37866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Environmental zones are thought up by retarded bureaucrats.

Across Europe, cars have long had uniform emission standards.

However:
* every country makes up its own system
* within a country, there are different admission criteria for each city or metro area
* signposting is different in each country
* fines are ridiculously high in some jurisdictions
* they like to put heavy fines on vehicles that actually do comply but do not register or don't have a sticker.
* the burden is put on every motorist even though the vast majority of cars can enter the environmental zone.

French environmental zones even includes major motorways.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 11:36 AM   #37867
volodaaaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I've never owned a car with such high mileage.

The highest I've gotten to was 230,000 km in a Renault. My current car just crossed the 50,000 km mark.
I used to "inherit" cars after my parents. They always buy new but low-class ones. The first one with odometer with 105.000 km and the second one with odometer with 112.000 km.

The first, Suzuki Ignis (second generation), was sold with 145.000 km, because my mum was given a chance to buy her business car provided by her employer for excellent price (4.000 € in time when the car has value of 9.000 €) yet was given a new business car, so Ignis had to be done away with (God I missed that car, it was literally perfect).

Opel Vectra C was good but after a year it started to be incredibly unreliable. The maintenance costs grew exponentially from 215 € in 2013 for the mandatory technical inspection to 1.900 € in 2016 for various things. It was not only about money, it was about being stuck somewhere far away from the nearest repair service. In January 2016 we were on mountains to do some skiing and it was the coldest morning of the year (-30°C on the place of our stay). I had troubles to start my engine, when I started the coolant started to boil and when it suddenly (I did nothing) got steady at 90°C the heating system became faulty so my wife told me to find the nearest H&M shop to buy a pair of thickest knee-high socks

The car was sold with 225.000 km which is a good indication that I have to get rid of a car before it reaches 200.000.

Now my brand new Auris has 19.000. The car is rather good. I really appreciate the heated seats which is something you can very easily get adapted to. Also parking camera is very handy. On the other hand the road signs assist is useless bullshit - unfortunately, it was a part of the equipment packed I wanted.

TrojaA liked this post
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:27 PM   #37868
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

I wouldn't say that 200'000km seems to be the magic number. Since I usually buy used executive cars (like BMW 5 series etc) with an age of 3-4 years, my experience is that it also depends on the age a lot. Of course wear and tear comes with the mileage, but thinks like faulty sensors etc. is more a thing of the car's age; especially here near the sea you have problems with corroding connectors etc.

As my rule of thumb, whether I keep a car or sell it, goes the following: I keep and repair a car if,
* it will be less than 6 years old and the odometer will read less than 300'000km
* it will be less than 8 years old and the odometer will read less than 200'000km

However it can make sense for other people to maintain such cars. Things like suspension repairs at 200'000km and an age of 10 years can be worth it, if you don't expect any other major repairs.
My dad owned an E39 530i in perfect condition with well over 250'000km. An crash with a deer totaled the car (resell value < 3'000€ so the insurance declared it as a total loss). A friend of mine bought that car, did the necessary repairs (new core support, new hood, framewise no damage). He got a car that still runs and drives fine well beyond my rule of thumb. ;-)
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #37869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What do you pay for a 3 year old BMW 5 series in Germany?

In the Netherlands a 2015 BMW 5 series start at around € 26,000, though the cheapest 5 series on petrol cost € 32,000. Diesel is not popular for non-company car in the Netherlands due to the high annual road tax. A 1600 kg diesel car would cost around € 150/month.
Old December 30th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #37870
TrojaA
ß-Retter

Likes (Received): 341

It's more or less the same price range in Germany.
So it depends a lot on the specs, but for a nearly fullspec diesel like a 535d up to 35'000€ or up to 40'000€ for a M550d.
Smaller sized engines like a 520d with a more "normal" spec (what you expect companies to buy or lease) you pay between 20'000€ and 30'000€.

Petrols are way more expensive although on the plus side they often have odometer readings with less than 50'000km. For example a used 2015 built 520i starts at 30'000€. They're often non-company cars and there are fewer of them on the market, so dealer demand higher prices. However maybe in the near futuere it can change to more used petrol ex-company-cars, if the next government decides to increase energy taxes on diesel fuel.
TrojaA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #37871
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6782

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
* they like to put heavy fines on vehicles that actually do comply but do not register or don't have a sticker.
On the other hand, e.g. a car with a DPF filter removed may get the sticker even though it will not comply with the emission standards.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 03:30 PM   #37872
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

source?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #37873
Kpc21

But you ask me or TrojaA?

Simply, the sticker is issued based on the car model. Nobody makes an emissions test while issuing the sticker.
Old December 30th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #37874
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

How are you going to celebreate New Year? What do you wish for 2018 excluding better and new roads?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #37875
volodaaaa

better and new railways
Old December 31st, 2017, 03:16 PM   #37876
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

As we know China likes to open infrastructure like crazy in the last few days of the year. Chris noticed there aren't as many expressways opened this year as there were these last few years (perhaps because the most important expressways are already built?), but then there are metro networks. In that matter, I counted 516 km of new tracks in December alone, including 421 km in the last six days! I've never seen such thing anywhere in the world.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 03:28 PM   #37877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

China used to open hundreds of kilometers of expressway - per province (!) - in a single day, resulting in 4000 or 5000 kilometers of expressway to open during a 2-week period in late December / early January.

Right now I've seen numerous expressways open, but they are generally shorter and fewer mileage at once per province. Several provinces did not open anything (especially in the north) and others opened only one or two routes.

Still, the amount of expressways opened in December is still 'yuge' compared to Europe or North America. But the insane amount has been reduced a bit.
Old December 31st, 2017, 03:42 PM   #37878
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

I think the EU will ultimately standardize the issues concerning environmental restriction traffic zones, not in terms of imposing similar restrictions, but forcing towns/cities/metro areas/countries to regulate traffic based only on EURO standards for emissions and weight, and prohibiting this non-sense of stickers, pre-registration etc.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:02 PM   #37879
Kpc21

I think the problem is, the policemen would have to memorize all the car brands, models and versions and what Euro emission norms they satisfy. This could be a problem, and hence the thing with stickers and badges.
Old December 31st, 2017, 05:04 PM   #37880
MattiG

Likes (Received): 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think the EU will ultimately standardize the issues concerning environmental restriction traffic zones, not in terms of imposing similar restrictions, but forcing towns/cities/metro areas/countries to regulate traffic based only on EURO standards for emissions and weight, and prohibiting this non-sense of stickers, pre-registration etc.
I am quite surprised about why the EU has not yet taken such actions. Perhaps because the key players of this ridiculous game are Germany and France. All the information needed for the stickers is written in the vehicle's registration papers, thus making the stickers unnecessary. Just bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy, and that is something the Frenchmen and Germans love.

The EU is quite keen on microregulating things, and now it has taken steps to nanoregulation: Effective as of April 11th, 2018, the EU regulates the color of french fries. But it seems to be incabable on killing the local legislation being obctacles to the free border crossing.

Suburbanist liked this post
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways