daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 6th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #37941
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 793

Tomorrow is Orthodox Christmas according to the old Julian calendar. In Monday everything is closed. I wish all Orthodox here happiness and peace, prosperity and good beliefs.
I will personally spent my time at home as many Orthodox did.

Only for good wishes, not for a religious debate

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:21 PM   #37942
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Someone covered my car in some pink powder once.

Merry Christmas then btw!

Junkie, x-type liked this post
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #37943
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

Best wishes!

Junkie liked this post
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 12:01 AM   #37944
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfd543 View Post
The rubber itself is very cheap in ebay. Its a set of 8 rubber pieces.
I bought the pair of rubbers for like 2 USD including shipping on aliexpress
it costs more for me to mail a letter down the street
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:45 AM   #37945
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Extreme cold in American east coast. While Europe doesn't understand the spring in January and the Rhine floods, in North America the temperature is under -30 degrees, Celsius. Several transatlantic flights turned back, because New York JFK is not able to receive them.

Kpc21 liked this post

Last edited by Attus; January 7th, 2018 at 11:28 AM.
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:12 AM   #37946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

You mean the east cost ;-)

Temperatures are now rapidly increasing over western North America. The Canadian prairies went from -35°C to -5°C.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:28 AM   #37947
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Corrected :-)
Attus está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #37948
tfd543

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
I bought the pair of rubbers for like 2 USD including shipping on aliexpress
it costs more for me to mail a letter down the street
I know pal. I dont understand how people over there can afford it. How was the quality ?
tfd543 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 10:35 PM   #37949
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

Temperatures are now rapidly increasing over western North America. The Canadian prairies went from -35°C to -5°C.
You mean the east coAst
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:07 PM   #37950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

East Costa
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:25 PM   #37951
niskogradnja
Used Register

Likes (Received): 617

Every now and then I drive through Italy. and it is never a pleasure. I am very stressed with driving in Italy as the traffic is almost always dense and the culture of driving is special. What makes me most problems is off course lane discipline. It works when there are only two lanes, but as soon as there are three lanes, nobody wants to use the rightmost lane. If there are four or five lanes nobody uses the two rightmost lanes except trucks and some fiat pandas. It arrived to me that Iwas driving for a kilometer or more in the rightmost lane and I overtook by that way dozens of cars. On a five-lane road near Milano a car drives in the middle lane only 120km/h but the two rightmost lanes are EMPTY!!! What is wrong with Italian people?

Branko Ćopić (1915 – 1984)
niskogradnja está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 11:40 PM   #37952
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskogradnja View Post
Every now and then I drive through Italy. and it is never a pleasure. I am very stressed with driving in Italy as the traffic is almost always dense and the culture of driving is special. What makes me most problems is off course lane discipline. It works when there are only two lanes, but as soon as there are three lanes, nobody wants to use the rightmost lane. If there are four or five lanes nobody uses the two rightmost lanes except trucks and some fiat pandas. It arrived to me that Iwas driving for a kilometer or more in the rightmost lane and I overtook by that way dozens of cars. On a five-lane road near Milano a car drives in the middle lane only 120km/h but the two rightmost lanes are EMPTY!!! What is wrong with Italian people?
I ask myself the same.
Keep in mind that, until very recently, well into the 2000s, it was taught in schools that the righmost lanes were for "slow vehicles only". It was changed, and now it's labeled "normal cruise lanes", but older drivers don't know that. Young drivers may know that, but they ignore it anyways because "everybody's doing that" and because it's never enforced.

It is stressful for me also, especially when I drive abroad and come back.
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:47 AM   #37953
Balkanada
why worry?

Likes (Received): 894

Speaking of driving in Italy, I was very surprised to recently find out that according to this, there are more cars per capita in Italy than in Canada. To me it seems the average Italian barely has space for one car, let alone 2-3 per household as is very commonly the case in Canada. Surely it's inaccurate
Balkanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:54 AM   #37954
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6778

In Poland we have no such problems as we had almost no multi-lane roads for long distance traffic before the 2000s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
Speaking of driving in Italy, I was very surprised to recently find out that according to this, there are more cars per capita in Italy than in Canada. To me it seems the average Italian barely has space for one car, let alone 2-3 per household as is very commonly the case in Canada. Surely it's inaccurate
Maybe the cars that are no longer used or are crapped often do not get unregistered?
Kpc21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 06:18 AM   #37955
Neungz

Likes (Received): 2903

pin
Neungz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 10:20 AM   #37956
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
In Poland we have no such problems as we had almost no multi-lane roads for long distance traffic before the 2000s

Maybe the cars that are no longer used or are crapped often do not get unregistered?
It's not like that.
My only guess is that cars still act as a status: riding a bus is seen as for poor people and nobody wants to look poor. Majority of people on buses are the elderly, immigrants or young students.
Italians are also very lazy, that's part of the picture.
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:46 AM   #37957
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's not like that.
My only guess is that cars still act as a status: riding a bus is seen as for poor people and nobody wants to look poor. Majority of people on buses are the elderly, immigrants or young students.
Italians are also very lazy, that's part of the picture.
It's not just for status symbol, in most cases, outside historic centres, door-o-door travel time is longer via PT.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:15 PM   #37958
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's not just for status symbol, in most cases, outside historic centres, door-o-door travel time is longer via PT.
Yes but it's the same in every other European country.
Old January 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #37959
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1750

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It depends on time a lot.

I live almost in the city centre. There is a trolleybus line connecting my home (the terminus is in front of my house) with my work (requires a 5 minute long walk). 90 % of the trolleybus route runs in dedicated traffic lane. The travel time is 11 minutes according the schedule. During the most severe traffic jams in Bratislava (accidents on motorways on Friday afternoon) the travel time is 13 minutes.

Yep, during a weekend you make this route in 5 minutes by car and it is very unpractical by PT, because it leaves every 30 minutes during weekends. But on a weekday it takes much more time by a car + the find a legal parking place challenge.

The same goes for suburb residents. I feel sorry for those who opted for a municipality without trains. Trains are absolutely top here. Suburban residents spend 2 hours and 30 minutes in their cars every day. The train is incredibly faster and cheaper.

When I was dating with my wife I commuted a lot to place of her residence (a small city located 20 km away from Bratislava). When I used suburban bus it takes almost 1:20 minutes (because all embarking people had to buy a ticket (tell the driver where are travelling) + afternoon jams). Meanwhile she moved to my place, but sometimes she still visits her parents. As I work at the ministry I told her to use trains. First she refused because the train station is located far of her parents' house. But then she tried train + kick scooter combo and now nothing can beat it. Whole travel D2D travel time is 40 minutes.

Since 2015 trains are integrated so the travel card for Bratislava is also valid for trains in Bratislava and you have to pay only the remaining section of the route.

I would not say PT is ineffective. Imagine how effective it would be if cities created dedicated lanes and those people who do not need to travel bu car would use it.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 03:04 PM   #37960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpc21 View Post
I wondered about that as well, but if that was the case, the rate of cars per 1000 people would continue to increase, to a point that there are more registered cars than inhabitants.

Or maybe it includes motorbikes or certain types of mopeds?

Tags
highways, motorways