daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 8th, 2018, 03:27 PM   #37961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodaaaa View Post
Suburban residents spend 2 hours and 30 minutes in their cars every day.
Maybe on a bad day, but if you drive 2h30m every day (1h15m one way), you likely don't live in a suburb but in a distant city.

The same is often said about Los Angeles, with anecdotal evidence of people facing brutal commutes of 2 hours each way, while the U.S. Census Bureau community survey shows that the average commute is only about 30 - 35 minutes one way.

Quite often these outliers tend to be presented as the norm.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 8th, 2018, 04:07 PM   #37962
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wondered about that as well, but if that was the case, the rate of cars per 1000 people would continue to increase, to a point that there are more registered cars than inhabitants.

Or maybe it includes motorbikes or certain types of mopeds?
No, it's just habit and mentality. Italians simply use far less PT than other Europeans. My gf learnt to drive only a couple of years ago, and I think she drives less than 500 km per year, but she wanted a car on her own, "just in case".
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM   #37963
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

According to Eurostat, Italian car usage is pretty much at the EU average.

EU28: 83.1%
Italy: 80.8%

Most countries are within a narrow bandwidth around 80-90%. There are only a few outliers.

Graph: share of car in passenger kilometers (%)

Source: http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/web/tra...a/main-tables#
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 04:36 PM   #37964
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

It just means that more cars drive less km each...
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:45 AM   #37965
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkanada View Post
Speaking of driving in Italy, I was very surprised to recently find out that according to this, there are more cars per capita in Italy than in Canada. To me it seems the average Italian barely has space for one car, let alone 2-3 per household as is very commonly the case in Canada. Surely it's inaccurate
Difference isn't so much, only ca. 10 %.
Italian population is older than Canadian (46y vs 40y), so higher percentage of adults owning automobiles, whereas Canadian children almost never own cars.
Plus Italian population is more rural and small towns than Canadians who cram themselves into dense metropoli like Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver...

Kpc21 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:58 AM   #37966
Kpc21

Likes (Received): 6791

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
It's not like that.
My only guess is that cars still act as a status: riding a bus is seen as for poor people and nobody wants to look poor. Majority of people on buses are the elderly, immigrants or young students.
We also have that problem in Poland. Maybe except for the immigrants as we don't have many of them. The reason for the elderly is that those who are over 70 travel on public transport for free in most cities, and those younger who are retired have 50% discount. Also the students and children have 50% discount. So it's more affordable for them to use the public transport. For the working adults it's not so much cheaper especially if you take into account spending more time on the public transport than in a car.

Practically, the only means of public transport that is not considered "for the poor" is the metro.

But those things are changing. Actually, I can also see many young, working adults on the trams and buses. Specifically, the young ones.

There is also this thing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
It's not just for status symbol, in most cases, outside historic centres, door-o-door travel time is longer via PT.
And also another one. In a car, even if you wait in a traffic jam, you can set air conditioning as you want, you are sitting, you can play whatever music you want without using headphones. It gives you kind of more freedom, which you don't have on the public transport.

But, actually, the percentage of people travelling in the cities on the public transport rather than in cars is much greater in Poland than e.g. in Germany. Which is really surprising, as travelling by public transport seems to be more popular and not considered as "for the poor" in Germany.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Italian population is older than Canadian (46y vs 40y), so higher percentage of adults owning automobiles, whereas Canadian children almost never own cars.
Well, children in Europe don't drive cars as you must be 18 to be able to obtain a driving licence. And, by the way, in Poland it's so that if a young driver possesses a car, he is usually a co-owner only with one of the parents, because the civil liability insurance is much more expensive for the young drivers. And in such a way, they can at least make use of their parents' discounts for driving without causing accidents for a long time.

I believe, you meant the students over 18.

Last edited by Kpc21; January 9th, 2018 at 04:06 AM.
Kpc21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:14 AM   #37967
volodaaaa

Likes (Received): 1756

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Maybe on a bad day, but if you drive 2h30m every day (1h15m one way), you likely don't live in a suburb but in a distant city.

The same is often said about Los Angeles, with anecdotal evidence of people facing brutal commutes of 2 hours each way, while the U.S. Census Bureau community survey shows that the average commute is only about 30 - 35 minutes one way.

Quite often these outliers tend to be presented as the norm.
I am not exaggerating. It indeed takes you exactly that time while outside the rush hour time it adds up to approximately 25-30 min omitting the time required to find a legal parking place.

volodaaaa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 09:27 AM   #37968
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7711

A Serbian Christmas...

When you refer to Wikipedia's list of countries ranked per capita by gun ownership, America is #1 and Serbia #2. Combined, this is the result...Orthodox Christmas festivities in a small California town of Jackson

pikoc89 liked this post
CrazySerb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #37969
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Not much different from the New Year's eve in Naples.

“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:49 PM   #37970
italystf

An 82-years-old German guy wanted to visit his wife in a hospital near Munich, but instead he got lost and ended up in driving 500 kilometers, until he had a minor accident in Carpi, near Bologna. He suffered from memory loss.

http://m.gazzettadimodena.gelocal.it...rpi-1.16323367
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:58 PM   #37971
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
An 82-years-old German guy wanted to visit his wife in a hospital near Munich, but instead he got lost and ended up in driving 500 kilometers, until he had a minor accident in Carpi, near Bologna. He suffered from memory loss.

http://m.gazzettadimodena.gelocal.it...rpi-1.16323367
Yes, why revoke the license and the ownership of a car to someone who has been diagnosed with dementia?
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:20 PM   #37972
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Line 6 of Naples metro is going to reopen, after extensive works for extending its course, at the end of this year. For the occasion, some brand new trains have been bought.... which they just realized they cannot be used, because they're 39 meters long and cannot be lowered into the track because the only opening on the surface is 27 meters. And besides, they still don't have a storage unit for them - it should be realized in 5 years.

So what they're going to do is use trains bought for the World Football Championship in 1990, 25 meters long, obsolete, in need of maintenance and with parts extremely difficult to find.

http://corrieredelmezzogiorno.corrie...2f42a2e9.shtml
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:36 PM   #37973
italystf

Quote:
Yes, why revoke the license and the ownership of a car to someone who has been diagnosed with dementia?
The license of course yes, but the ownership? Even if one has not a valid license, they may still be the legal owner of a vehicle and let someone else to drive it. Or pass it to a relative as inheritance.
Old January 9th, 2018, 02:43 PM   #37974
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
The license of course yes, but the ownership? Even if one has not a valid license, they may still be the legal owner of a vehicle and let someone else to drive it. Or pass it to a relative as inheritance.
I don't agree.
I am an old man, not able to drive. They revoke my license, I take my car nontheless, go on the roads and kill people.
Revoking licenses is not enough. They must prevent you from actually driving, or at least making it much more difficult.
Old January 9th, 2018, 03:21 PM   #37975
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18313

why not put him directly in some medical institute? you know, he MIGHT do something to someone...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #37976
Junkie
Supervisor

Likes (Received): 795

Quote:
Not much different from the New Year's eve in Naples.

This is very Balkan style
But Italy is partially Balkan so..... Albanians, Romanians and others are big population of your country.

Is this pyrotechnics legal to be issued and how is regulated in the law? Can just anyone buy and shoot fireworks after party?

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
MK A AL B BiH BG HR CZ EST F FIN D GR H I LT MNE NL SRB SK SLO E TR PL RKS

Last edited by Junkie; January 9th, 2018 at 04:37 PM.
Junkie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #37977
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Some are reserved for 18+ years old, some for 14+
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:25 PM   #37978
Junkie
Supervisor

Do you need to report when using fireworks to the police, as for the time you need to shoot them about the public order?
Is this regulated together with the law for firearms or separately. I saw very strange things on this thread, from guys that shoot in the middle of the street, 'celebrating' with real, automatic weaponary.

The Western Balkans is already in Europe i.e., it is in the heart of Europe and all of these nations want and deserve to have the same chance,
the same security and the same rights as all other citizens of the European family, right on their own continent."

BEEN IN:
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:41 PM   #37979
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

I never fired fireworks but I don't think you need to tell it to the police in advance. Not sure.
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM   #37980
Junkie
Supervisor

Quote:
I never fired fireworks but I don't think you need to tell it to the police in advance. Not sure.
I'm speaking about this kind of fireworks. Not small firecrackers.
For instance I know this should be reported to the police, prior to shooting.

BEEN IN:

Tags
highways, motorways