daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #5241
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #5242
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Well these were new things which I learned about myself in the West......
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #5243
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Lots of Dutch people go on holiday to Slovenia and Croatia, so the "warzone" attitude is diminishing rapidly and seems to be almost gone by now
Old August 11th, 2009, 01:25 PM   #5244
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i do it i call our police "milicija" as we did it in yugoslav times, i call Podgorica "Titograd", i often say "Lenjingrad" for St. Peterburg, even "Soviet Union (Sovjetski Savez)" for Russia
and i have friend who still says "Yugoslavia" for Serbia
of course, we do it on purpose
In Slovakia everybody called Soviet Union (when it existed) simply Russia. Yugoslavia is disappearing from people's minds. But, mainly older people can tell you: "I was on vacation in Yugoslavia," while they were in Croatia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Nah, except for Yugoslavia, I don't think many will refer to the SU or CS.

What is an increasing problem here, are criminal people from Romania (gypsies), I was just browsing the regional newspaper here online, and I saw at least 3 stories about criminal activities from yesterday. Those people really ruin the public opinion about Romania, which is a wonderful country.
People tend to generalize. Somebody from Romania robbed my friend thus all Romanians are bunch of criminals. But, that's as wrong as saying all Dutch are drug addicts.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5245
Mateusz

There are some gypsies where my parents work, they say that they get discriminated in CZ etc.

Many people still mistakes Baltic states with Russia though
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5246
Timon91
Error

The problem with the Baltic states is that people mix them up. They know where the Baltic states are, but they think e.g. that Estonia is Latvia and so on.
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #5247
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

I'm on vacation in Delaware and Maryland for 2 days, its kinda weird down here, the Traffic Lights and Highways themselves are odd, like for example they have Flashing Red Arrows at left turns. Its just like in Britain, then flash before it turns Green. and they allow Tractors on the Highways i got stuck in a 2mi back up becuz of a Tractor using the right lane.i went from crusing at 65 mph to a lazy 10 mph.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #5248
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
The problem with the Baltic states is that people mix them up. They know where the Baltic states are, but they think e.g. that Estonia is Latvia and so on.
Especially Latvia and Lithuania.

I'm not sure if Slovakia and Slovenia gets mixed up often over here. I doubt if many Dutchmen even know that Montenegro is a country.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #5249
Mateusz

Most of my mates use words like Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia...
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5250
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

I always use word "Leningrad" or just "Peterburg" for St. Petersburg, easier and faster to pronounce.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #5251
Timon91
Error

The same happens with "Holland" instead of "the Netherlands".

Quote:
I'm not sure if Slovakia and Slovenia gets mixed up often over here.
Quite funny, when we were in Bled we bought ice creams at a small stand down at the lake. The guy who sold the ice creams was a Bosnian and hardly spoke any German or English. He understood our order, but when we said "vďaka" ("thanks" in Slovak) he thought that we thought that we were in Slovakia. It was our first day in Slovenia and we didn't know "hvala" yet
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5252
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:

I'm not sure if Slovakia and Slovenia gets mixed up often over here. I doubt if many Dutchmen even know that Montenegro is a country.
yesterday in daily newspaper there was an article about French who discovered croatian province Slavonia, and they were fascinated with its existance beside Slovenia and Slovakia
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #5253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Slovenia
Slavonia
Slovakia

any more?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #5254
x-type
con los terroristas

actually, in some slavic languages it could be the largest confusion. for instance, Slovensko in slovakian means Slovakia, but the same word in croatian/slovenian/serbian means slovenian (neutrum adjective)
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5255
Zanovijetalo

Actually in Serbian slovensko means Slavic while in Croatian slovensko means theydontbuildroadstocroatia... err Slovene...
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #5256
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

I very often mix up when I speak in Russian, Switzerland - "Швейцария" with Sweden - "Швеция", both these words write and pronounce very similiar.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #5257
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
In Slovakia everybody called Soviet Union (when it existed) simply Russia. Yugoslavia is disappearing from people's minds. But, mainly older people can tell you: "I was on vacation in Yugoslavia," while they were in Croatia.
When I was in Germany ten days ago, I heard some Germans talking to each other "we were stuck in a queue before the Tauern Tunnel in direction Yugoslavia".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I'm on vacation in Delaware and Maryland for 2 days, its kinda weird down here, the Traffic Lights and Highways themselves are odd, like for example they have Flashing Red Arrows at left turns. Its just like in Britain, then flash before it turns Green. and they allow Tractors on the Highways i got stuck in a 2mi back up becuz of a Tractor using the right lane.i went from crusing at 65 mph to a lazy 10 mph.
Flashing red arrows? That's new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipleyLV View Post
I always use word "Leningrad" or just "Peterburg" for St. Petersburg, easier and faster to pronounce.
That's different though. At least you know how they're called nowadays. My dad also calls Podgorica 'Titograd', but he knows it's Podgorica. But he doesn't say 'Soviet Union' any more; now he has to say "when I was in Tajikistan..."

Quote:
Quite funny, when we were in Bled we bought ice creams at a small stand down at the lake. The guy who sold the ice creams was a Bosnian and hardly spoke any German or English. He understood our order, but when we said "vďaka" ("thanks" in Slovak) he thought that we thought that we were in Slovakia. It was our first day in Slovenia and we didn't know "hvala" yet
Why did you speak Slovak? I'm sure no one here knows what "vd'aka" means. And how do you know he was a Bosnian? The ones selling ice cream are usually Albanians.

Quote:
Slovenia
Slavonia
Slovakia

any more?
Yes! Slovincians.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #5258
x-type
con los terroristas

goddammit

Old August 11th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #5259
Timon91
Error

You bought a vignette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Why did you speak Slovak? I'm sure no one here knows what "vd'aka" means.
We still knew some words from our holiday there. Slovak is also Slavic, so we though that he might understand us, but we didn't know that the words for "thanks" differ so much

Quote:
And how do you know he was a Bosnian? The ones selling ice cream are usually Albanians.
He told us
Old August 11th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #5260
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2537

Quote:
Why did you speak Slovak? I'm sure no one here knows what "vd'aka" means. And how do you know he was a Bosnian? The ones selling ice cream are usually Albanians.
It seems I have to improve

Quote:
So:
Slavonia
Slovenia
Slovakia
Slovincia?

BTW, in Slovak they are called "Pomeranian Slovenians" (Pomoranskí Slovinci) and their language "Northern Slovenian" (severná slovinčina).

Quote:
We still knew some words from our holiday there. Slovak is also Slavic, so we though that he might understand us, but we didn't know that the words for "thanks" differ so much
Sometimes it could be dangerous to speak in other Slavic language. For example if you visit some restaurant or pub in Slovakia don't try to use Croatian. If you ask a waitress for "pića" she may get angry. In Croatian it means drink, in Slovak it's vulgar name for ******.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways