daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #5761
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
in US you can shoot someone if they trespass your property
It's really not as simple as that. Under what exact circumstances you can use deadly force varies from state to state. (so called castle laws)

I'm pretty sure the simple act of trespassing alone doesn't give you the right to shoot someone anywhere in the US. You'd have to at least catch him committing a felony. Some states even have a "duty to retreat" clause.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #5762
snowman159

Just a thought: I know all discussions about a country are to be kept in a single thread, and I think that's a good idea....

But in the case of trip reports with several posts and many pictures (e.g. Chris' trips through Europe or Nexis' NJ highways) wouldn't they be easier to find if they're in a thread of their own instead of say page 23 of an 80 page thread?
Of course, that would only make sense if you have a large number of photos on a single topic, the rest would still go into the country thread.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #5763
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

A separate photo section in a photo section like this would be pretty pointless IMO.

The best method so far I've come up with is putting the link of the next post into the previous one(and in reverse) if it spans multiple threads. This could also save on page loading time,as you dont have to load all the pics of a Spain-China trip in one move,and also spare time for those who are not interested in the mongolian roads in that trip.

Of course this only works if one can follow the construction of several posts at the same time in multiple tabs/windows. I personally use notepad to construct huge posts,and then only copy the text here when I'm finished.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5764
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
It's really not as simple as that. Under what exact circumstances you can use deadly force varies from state to state. (so called castle laws)

I'm pretty sure the simple act of trespassing alone doesn't give you the right to shoot someone anywhere in the US. You'd have to at least catch him committing a felony. Some states even have a "duty to retreat" clause.
Sorry, it was a 'mental shortcut', I meant if someone goes onto your propety armed or tries to rob you
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #5765
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
A separate photo section in a photo section like this would be pretty pointless IMO.
That's not at all what I meant. I give you an example: someone has made a series of interesting posts with pictures over some time, all on a single subject, and they're all burried somewhere within this giant country thread. (e.g. USA interstate highways)

What I'm saying is that if those posts were in a separate thread with an appropriate title (e.g. NJ expressways) they would be a lot easier to find. And searching for a thread by title is a lot easier than finding individual posts.
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #5766
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1085

Check the first post of the hungarian thread...I guess thats the concept what you're looking for. The original one in our section even groups them according to posters,but someone edited them out from here.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #5767
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
Check the first post of the hungarian thread...I guess thats the concept what you're looking for. The original one in our section even groups them according to posters,but someone edited them out from here.
That's also not what I meant. In fact, take the M0 section in the Hungarian thread I found in your signature. There are like 50 different links to individual posts. If you make a thread called "(Hungary) M0 construction updates" or something like that and put a link into the country thread, now that's a different story. Then you can get all posts pertaining to M0 construction in a single thread.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5768
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
Just a thought: I know all discussions about a country are to be kept in a single thread, and I think that's a good idea....

But in the case of trip reports with several posts and many pictures (e.g. Chris' trips through Europe or Nexis' NJ highways) wouldn't they be easier to find if they're in a thread of their own instead of say page 23 of an 80 page thread?
Of course, that would only make sense if you have a large number of photos on a single topic, the rest would still go into the country thread.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something?
I'm strongly against this, as it would lead to a gazillion threads. Photos certainly aren't left unnoticed, but if they aren't interesting to someone (or even anyone), you won't get replies even in a separate thread.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #5769
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

That's right. A good first post where you can find links to all pics (like the Slovene thread) is better IMO.

@Verso: it took a while, but I've posted the third series of pictures, about Koper. Hope you like it
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #5770
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
I'm strongly against this, as it would lead to a gazillion threads. Photos certainly aren't left unnoticed, but if they aren't interesting to someone (or even anyone), you won't get replies even in a separate thread.
And now you have gazillions of posts in a single thread nobody is ever going to read again, regardless of whether they're interesting or not. But with separate threads it's easier to find them and you can still link to them from the country threads. The ones that aren't interesting will quickly disappear into the bowels of the forum.

The only downside I can see, which I didn't think of before, is that there will inevitably be new threads with posts that don't deserve their own thread and should've gone into the country-wide thread. Moving posts, creating or deleting threads, etc. could mean a lot more work for moderators.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5771
snowman159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
That's right. A good first post where you can find links to all pics (like the Slovene thread) is better IMO.
OK, I agree, in the Slovene thread that seems to work well, but that's not the kind of situation I had in mind.

Now go look at that thread: (e.g. M7 or M0)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=389944

Nobody is going to click on all those links. If you had a separate thread, you'd have to click once and get all those posts.
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #5772
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

In that case we would need another mod. Verso?
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5773
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

I'll check out Koper, Timon.

Quote:
And now you have gazillions of posts in a single thread nobody is ever going to read again, regardless of whether they're interesting or not. But with separate threads it's easier to find them and you can still link to them from the country threads. The ones that aren't interesting will quickly disappear into the bowels of the forum.

The only downside I can see, which I didn't think of before, is that there will inevitably be new threads with posts that don't deserve their own thread and should've gone into the country-wide thread. Moving posts, creating or deleting threads, etc. could mean a lot more work for moderators.
If you're going to Beijing by car, be sure to open a separate thread; otherwise it will be way too many threads.

Quote:
OK, I agree, in the Slovene thread that seems to work well, but that's not the kind of situation I had in mind.

Now go look at that thread: (e.g. M7 or M0)

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=389944

Nobody is going to click on all those links. If you had a separate thread, you'd have to click once and get all those posts.
I click on those links often, and I'm grateful they're in the first post like that. But how would it be any different in a separate thread? You'd still have plenty of posts about M7 or M0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
In that case we would need another mod. Verso?
After a deep thought I'm all for snowman's suggestion.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5774
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19425

Some nice suggestions.

1) I think the amount of threads should be limited. If you're gonna open a thread for every photoset, it's gonna be a mess with dozens if not hundreds of threads after page 3. I'd rather have less threads which are more active. (example: Infrastruktura drogowa forum on FPW)

2) We do need some better fipo's for high profile threads. Problem, some threads, like those of China, Thailand, Malaysia etc. are picture-only threads. You can't make a good fipo for those. First posts need to contain a network map, links to significant photo series and construction plans.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #5775
Mateusz

True, FPW is really well organised forums, multiple topics for same subjects are eleminated
Old September 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #5776
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

I like how the Europeans attack each other threads but surprising leave American Threads alone

Anyway can some one tell me , why we have G20 summits , they always seem to cause Riots and mass Protests of Garbage , they also shut down cities and doesn't bring more money to the city with all the security measures , i was a bit shocked by the Pittsburgh PD crack down on Demonstration. It seems to me that it was overkill, just like in London. any one share the same opinion as me?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5777
Mateusz

Police beats demonstrators everywhere, communist regime or democracy
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #5778
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's because they're either illegal demonstrations, or they're burning down cars and shops. Police won't beat up demonstrators of an authorized demonstration where's no violence and vandalism.

I would like to see the police kick some ass too if they're walking all over my property.
Old September 26th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #5779
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Should I put this on my van?
image hosted on flickr
Old September 26th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #5780
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044