daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM   #5881
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

i'm a bit disappointed with rest of Google Footage in the US this time, some of the Coverage is blurry sum dirty images, i mean come on clean the lense or something, to me it seems Google Became Lazy in this update, in my friends Midwestern town the image wasn't even in the place it should be it was a few miles off. So i say this to google , go back to the US and Reshoot
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #5882
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A problem is privacy. People want their faces and their license plates blurred in Google Streetview. When software is developed to do this automatically it can go wrong and objects that have got nothing to with this can be blurred, deteriorating the quality of the service. If Google can improve this Streetview will become better.
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #5883
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

There are still a lot of low-resolution images out there. Compared to the newer ones they look really crappy, often unsharp, almost blurry. It has nothing to do with blurring for privacy reasons - in fact, the quality is so crappy they don't need any blurring. Overexposed images from direct sunlight are also a frequent problem on the older ones.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #5884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19424

From what I have seen on Street View, half of the U.S. is still in very low quality

They should also invent something to make navigation faster on high-speed roads. It took me half an hour to watch half the BQE in New York clicking every 4th icon in Google Earth. That's way too long.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #5885
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They should also invent something to make navigation faster on high-speed roads. It took me half an hour to watch half the BQE in New York clicking every 4th icon in Google Earth. That's way too long.
I usually use the Google Maps website and the arrow keys instead of clicking. With high-speed internet that works pretty well. The option to quickly skip images (e.g. by pressing the arrow key again, before it has loaded) without having to click would be nice, though.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #5886
Nexis
Dark Wolf

They should Reshoot the whole of NJ , because i think its unfair that NYC gets a Reshoot but NJ doesn't, NJ has a very bad image i think Google can help by reshooting the Cities n towns, also throw Philly in. I think Google is being ridiculous, in Our Capital of Trenton all the images are fogged up on one side. in our cities some of the images are too sunny. its a mess and i don't why they Reshoot. by me most of the roads have changed or undergone reconstruction, which makes the images old and unreliable. Google needs to seriously update all of these images, or i will go to there Brooklyn office and throw all there Fun stuff into the East River

~Corey , a very pissed off at Google Corey
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #5887
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

You're such an attention ***** with all these colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I usually use the Google Maps website and the arrow keys instead of clicking. With high-speed internet that works pretty well.
My "little human" usually turns in a wrong direction.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #5888
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I usually use the Google Maps website and the arrow keys instead of clicking. With high-speed internet that works pretty well. The option to quickly skip images (e.g. by pressing the arrow key again, before it has loaded) without having to click would be nice, though.
For me, it still takes about a second or 2 for a new image to load completely after pressing the arrow key. I wish the adjacent nodes relative to the current one were also loaded with the current node - it would provide a much smoother navigating experience.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:04 PM   #5889
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You're such an attention ***** with all these colors.

My "little human" usually turns in a wrong direction.

Your such a Euroboy
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #5890
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Guys I finally found a map of Europe which is sattisfying for me. Now I'm putting these pieces together in Photoshop CS4, and then I will simply mark motorways in distinguishable way, it must be some real atlas so it will be much easier, dimenstions will be 27000x20520, when I will finish then I will make it availible for download and I will ask you to give some comments on actuallity etc.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #5891
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Guys I finally found a map of Europe which is sattisfying for me. Now I'm putting these pieces together in Photoshop CS4, and then I will simply mark motorways in distinguishable way, it must be some real atlas so it will be much easier, dimenstions will be 27000x20520, when I will finish then I will make it availible for download and I will ask you to give some comments on actuallity etc.
That's my man
Can't wait to see that happen!
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 02:29 AM   #5892
Mateusz

That's how it looks so far, and so far the size is...570 mb ! I will have to compress is
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #5893
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

May I ask why you're just not using Google maps or something similar (and much easier)?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #5894
Mateusz

Google Maps don't fit to my requirements...there are so many lines drawn and it don't allow me to display them all at once and you can't stroke the paths properly so they can't have only one colour at the time, what other alternatives there are to google ?
Old October 11th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #5895
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Dutch public transport websites are terrible.

I've been sitting for two hours in front of the computer. In this time I've learned about existence of so called 'OV-chipkaard', that I need one if I want to visit Rotterdam and even some Dutch, because information in English is VERY HARD TO GET.
But in those two hours I didn't managed to find how much do Connexxion charge for travel. Really, I can't find any info about tariffs in English on their website.

The idea of national public transport ticket and e-purse is great, but really, information is worse than in Poland.

Also, the idea that you need at least 4€ on the card to enter the bus/tram/metro train/ox cart/whatever is hideous. Since it's not refundable every tourist is ripped for 4€ at the end of a visit. This is nearly half of the cost of monthly student ticket for the whole Warsaw
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #5896
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Google Maps don't fit to my requirements...there are so many lines drawn and it don't allow me to display them all at once and you can't stroke the paths properly so they can't have only one colour at the time, what other alternatives there are to google ?
There's OpenStreetMap, I don't know if that suits what you need.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #5897
Mateusz

Can you open own account and then customize map to own needs ?
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #5898
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Can you open own account and then customize map to own needs ?
I'm not actually sure. I think you can download the raw XML data for the maps, but I've never tried because I've never had any reason to, and I don't know how you'd go about customising the appearance of it.
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #5899
Mateusz

That's why I tried to come with something more hmm 'own' even though I downloaded scanned atlas in pieces, crap I hope I will learn how to draw paths in Photoshop because it is essential for me since I want to mark, existing motorways, u/c and in project
Old October 11th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #5900
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Dutch public transport websites are terrible.

I've been sitting for two hours in front of the computer. In this time I've learned about existence of so called 'OV-chipkaard', that I need one if I want to visit Rotterdam and even some Dutch, because information in English is VERY HARD TO GET.
But in those two hours I didn't managed to find how much do Connexxion charge for travel. Really, I can't find any info about tariffs in English on their website.

The idea of national public transport ticket and e-purse is great, but really, information is worse than in Poland.

Also, the idea that you need at least 4€ on the card to enter the bus/tram/metro train/ox cart/whatever is hideous. Since it's not refundable every tourist is ripped for 4€ at the end of a visit. This is nearly half of the cost of monthly student ticket for the whole Warsaw
The OV-chipkaart is only obligatory in the Amsterdam and Rotterdam metro. It's a good system, like the Oyster Card in London, but not very suitable for tourists. In future it will replace all PT tickets. If you have any questions about Dutch PT information just send me a PM

Tags
highways, motorways