daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6041
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
The translation itself isn't correct though, it should be the other way around (raziskava prometa).
Quote:
Chris, I think Forgalom felmérés would be better instead of forgalmi felmérés.
OK. Thanks
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #6042
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
you have missed a letter in Serbian, correct would be "саобраћајна анкета".
i'd say the same for Slovenian - "prometna raziskava"
That sounds kind of weird IMO, also it's not "anketa/анкета" (poll), cause he won't be asking them questions.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #6043
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
That sounds kind of weird IMO, also it's not "anketa/анкета" (poll), cause he won't be asking them questions.
that's right. i'd say "испитивање саобраћаја"

Last edited by x-type; October 28th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #6044
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2262

Also Chris, "исследование движения" is more appropriate than "обследование движения".
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #6045
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
that's right. i'd say "испитивање саобраћаја"
'Ispitivanje'... isn't that similar to 'anketa' (pitati)? Why not 'istraga'?
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM   #6046
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Thankyou guys , but wheres my foreign traffic signs Present?

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 11:53 PM   #6047
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

"istraga" or (better) "istraživanje" would also be suitable, both "istraživanje" and "ispitivanje" are correct and correspodentive to the meaning
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6048
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

In Lithuanian "apklausa" means "questionnaire" i.e. when you actually ask something so the current option is misleading.

it should be "Eismo suvestinė" (which means something like "traffic data collection") or "Eismo tyrimas" (traffic survey in a sense of data collection).

So..

[LT] Eismo Tyrimas (I think this one is the best, actually)

or

[LT] Eismo suvestinė
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #6049
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

I feel like sharing this with my fellow highway fans here. It's about a small accident i was involved in 2 months ago, could've been much worse.

2 months ago, during one of Chile's national holidays me and 2 friends were going through Ruta 5 Norte (2x2 lanes, private owned, complies fully with european standards, 120km/h), i was on the front passenger seat. traffic was going slow until it we couldn't move anymore because of an accident some kilometers head. Suddenly a big pick-up truck hits the back of our car, this makes us hit the car infront of us in the traffic jam, causing a triple colision. I instantly got out of the car because i thought more cars would keep crashing as i've seen in several videos but that didn't happen.

It was SO unexpected, we were all relaxed talking and listening to music and suddenly BAM!.

We all suffered minor injuries and our neck hurt for over a day, but we are all safe.
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #6050
Robosteve

Likes (Received): 1

The only one of those languages I know is English, and I don't see anything wrong with that translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpressway View Post
I feel like sharing this with my fellow highway fans here. It's about a small accident i was involved in 2 months ago, could've been much worse.

2 months ago, during one of Chile's national holidays me and 2 friends were going through Ruta 5 Norte (2x2 lanes, private owned, complies fully with european standards, 120km/h), i was on the front passenger seat. traffic was going slow until it we couldn't move anymore because of an accident some kilometers head. Suddenly a big pick-up truck hits the back of our car, this makes us hit the car infront of us in the traffic jam, causing a triple colision. I instantly got out of the car because i thought more cars would keep crashing as i've seen in several videos but that didn't happen.

It was SO unexpected, we were all relaxed talking and listening to music and suddenly BAM!.

We all suffered minor injuries and our neck hurt for over a day, but we are all safe.
The only accident I've ever been involved in was similar, but fortunately it was a car and not a truck that hit me, and it wasn't a motorway (70 km/h speed limit).
Robosteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #6051
Verso
Islander

I've had a similar collision, but in Ljubljana (50 km/h, but the speed I was hit with was much lower). It was a BMW Z3 that hit me, the driver was talking on the cell phone, of course.
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #6052
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

me 2. 2 times.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:44 PM   #6053
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Google Streetview cars taking pictures of each other in Milan:

[IMG]http://i38.************/aujdrs.jpg[/IMG]
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:05 PM   #6054
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Chris is in De Poppe now, doing his research. He sent me an SMS in which he said that he saw a truck from Kazakhstan and that it's quite boring work to do
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #6055
Verso
Islander

We forgot to translate 'traffic survey' into Kazakh.
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6056
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Well, OK, but to me it sounds very stiff and offcial, those slovenčina and slovenščina.
Calling our language "slovenský" sounds pretty weird in Slovak. Although in English Slovak (adjective) and Slovak (language - substantive) are the same it's not like that in Slovak. These "slovenský" translations are unfortunately quite common in case of people influenced by English. You can either use "slovenčina" or formal "slovenský jazyk" (Slovak language), but just "slovenský" is incorrect.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM   #6057
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

OK, I suppose I'm more influenced by Polish, where saying polski is way more natural than polszczyzna.
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #6058
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
OK, I suppose I'm more influenced by Polish, where saying polski is way more natural than polszczyzna.
Is 'polski' an adverb or sth else (noun, adjective etc.)? You can say 'slovenščina' or 'slovensko' (not 'slovenski', that would be an adjective) for Slovenian, but 'slovenščina' is a noun, so you ask yourself what you speak, while 'slovensko' is an adverb, so you ask yourself how you speak. I know it's 'hrvatski', 'srpski' etc., but 'slovensko', not 'slovenski'.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #6059
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2533

Quote:
Is 'polski' an adverb or sth else (noun, adjective etc.)? You can say 'slovenščina' or 'slovensko' (not 'slovenski', that would be an adjective) for Slovenian, but 'slovenščina' is a noun, so you ask yourself what you speak, while 'slovensko' is an adverb, so you ask yourself how you speak. I know it's 'hrvatski', 'srpski' etc., but 'slovensko', not 'slovenski'.
In Slovak you can also use an adverb "slovensky". It may not be apparent, but there's a big difference between "slovensky" which is an adverb and "slovenský" which is an adjective. It's better to say I speak Slovak: "hovorím slovensky" (adverb) than "hovorím slovenčinou" (noun). Second option is grammatically correct, but almost noone actually says that.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6060
Verso
Islander

Same in Slovenian; no one will say "govorim slovenščino" (even though it's grammatically correct too), everyone says "govorim slovensko". Which brings me to the question, if instead of "slovenčina" you can say "slovensky" (not "slovenský" ). I think that's what PLH had in mind, but he used the adjective instead of the adverb.

Tags
highways, motorways