daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:40 AM   #6081
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Especially on motorways
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:53 AM   #6082
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Where have you been?
Mölltal in Austria, opened almost through whole year.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #6083
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

From "guess who I used to be" series:

Budget version

PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM   #6084
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

I was thinking about the Polish letter "ł" and it's pronunciation as "w". Isn't this highly irregular from the other Slavic languages? I mean, in Czech or Russian, the ł would probably be replaced with a normal "l", and pronounced like that too. One of the prime examples is the name "Włocławek", which is pronounced like "Vwotswavek", I think it's quite different than other Slavic languages where it would probably be pronounced like "Vlotslavek".
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 08:58 PM   #6085
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Very elaborate gravestones!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:03 PM   #6086
PLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Isn't this highly irregular from the other Slavic languages?
Why should it be? In the same way I can say we replace š with s, as for egzample in Škoda. Noone says [shkoda] but [skoda].
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #6087
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
I was thinking about the Polish letter "ł" and it's pronunciation as "w". Isn't this highly irregular from the other Slavic languages? I mean, in Czech or Russian, the ł would probably be replaced with a normal "l", and pronounced like that too. One of the prime examples is the name "Włocławek", which is pronounced like "Vwotswavek", I think it's quite different than other Slavic languages where it would probably be pronounced like "Vlotslavek".
Some Polish letters are so unique that the official Slovenian expression for e.g. Łódź is simply Lodž (pronounced Lodzh, not Wudzh). Even though Slovenian linguists are perfectly aware it's wrong, no one here knows Polish letters, so they made it easier for us not to confuse which city we're talking about.

@ the gravestones.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM   #6088
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
I was thinking about the Polish letter "ł" and it's pronunciation as "w".
This pronunciation is rather a new thing in Polish. Before the World War II, and even in the 50s in the proper "high Polish" 'ł' was pronounced almost like English 'dark L'. Nevertheless, each language is a living thing, so now the [w] pronunciation is used both in the official and everyday language. The old one is used only by some old people and in some eastern and north-eastern dialects.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:06 PM   #6089
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

My halloween party got ruined by police lol
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM   #6090
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
My halloween party got ruined by police lol
Why? Were you all dressed up as radi?
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM   #6091
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

His party was too shiny
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6092
PLH

I don't think so...

?

Old November 1st, 2009, 11:33 PM   #6093
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Of course Niels can't drink in the US, since he's still under 21
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:45 AM   #6094
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

Lol ya. Some of the neighbours must have called the police. It started with only one. It ended with 20 police cars and several people got drinking tickets
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6095
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
I was thinking about the Polish letter "ł" and it's pronunciation as "w". Isn't this highly irregular from the other Slavic languages? ...
The Polish 'ł' is rather on its own amongst slavonic langauges, ignoring colloquial usage elsewhere, together with some nasal sounds such as 'ą' and 'ę'. Rather like French amongst latin languages. But in some Russian/Ukrainian (others?) dialects there is a form of 'ł' that sits in between 'ł' and 'l'.

Unfortunately, in today's Polish you cannot use 'l' instead of 'ł' because in some words the meaning will change and it is the modern standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
This pronunciation is rather a new thing in Polish. Before the World War II, and even in the 50s in the proper "high Polish" 'ł' was pronounced almost like English 'dark L'.
Oh I don't know if that is entirely true. What you refer to as 'high Polish' pronounciation of 'ł' was really a regional variation found in eastern regions of Poland, which is still in existence to this day, including Warsaw.

Maybe a few crème-de-la-crème posh totties in Warsaw around WW2 and before thought 'dark L' was 'high Polish' but in other regions (including Kraków) 'ł' was always pronounced as it is today. And thank goodness for that because the 'dark L' is ever so hard to get right. I don't know anyone who uses 'dark L' in everyday speech today and those who do, are normally regarded as ... shall we say upper class snobs.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #6096
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Lol ya. Some of the neighbours must have called the police. It started with only one. It ended with 20 police cars and several people got drinking tickets
Do you mean that you can't be drunk in someone's house (or even your own)? What is the penalty on those drinking tickets?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:06 PM   #6097
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

drinking tickets sound weird
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #6098
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Maybe a few crème-de-la-crème posh totties in Warsaw around WW2 and before thought 'dark L' was 'high Polish' but in other regions (including Kraków) 'ł' was always pronounced as it is today. .
Well, it's hard to define what was and what wasn't considered proper Polish and what posh totties speak 50 years ago but I will defend my point. Dark L was used in radio, in television, in theatres - everywhere where you expect to get the 'proper', regionalism-free variety of language.

Just listen to those two examples (both post-war unfortunately, but it is so hard to find the stuff from 30s in the Internet)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqdVnyxaAg

http://w228.wrzuta.pl/audio/5KEpxo6w...aczuszka_i_mak

Of course that in the everyday speech people pronounced different sounds differently, and of course that 'dark L' was more common in the East, but still - in every big language regionalisms are a common thing. And it is natural that they differ from the form you consider 'standard' or 'high'.
Now, because of the tragic events of WWII, border changes, massive repatriations and so on most of the regionalisms died and people use more or less standard language in everyday conversation (excluding of course Silesia, Suwalszczyzna and some other regions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
And thank goodness for that because the 'dark L' is ever so hard to get right. I don't know anyone who uses 'dark L' in everyday speech today and those who do, are normally regarded as ... shall we say upper class snobs.
Yeah, and it just proofs that languages change. No Nobel-prize revelations here
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM   #6099
DanielFigFoz

My opinion on American drinking rules:
Sainsbury's (a UK supermarket chain) has a policy of not selling intoxicating substances to under 25's.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 09:26 PM   #6100
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

That's ridiculus, soon you will need biometrical documentation in order to buy alcohol :/
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways