daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #6281
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It doesn't block any windows, but when the window is open, the cat can easily get in

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #6282
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

ah the Great Thanksgiving Rush Begins Today , Roads & Rail Except an increase , but airliners will see a decrease. Amtrak is adding extra Cars on its Northeast & Keystone Lines , As an Extra 2 million ppl ride the NEC & Keystone. Roads are beginning to fill and already theres massive Slowdowns around here Route 17 is closed in Rutherford due to a building fire, One of the Lincoln Tunnel Tubes is closed till Monday,Every road i look at is Red , which means traffic is moving about 10mph. Normal by now its just the Hwys that are still clogged , but its the almost everything. And i have yet to check the Railways , for Delays
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #6283
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

But thanksgiving is not until thursday, right? Are people taking the tuesday and wednesday off?
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #6284
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Likes (Received): 7

Wednesday will likely be the busiest travel day in America all year. I once took the train from Harrisburg to New Haven on the day before Thanksgiving. It was fine until I got to NYC. By then it was also rush hour. Penn station, where I needed to change trains, was absolutely packed. The train to New Haven was as well. I don't think I was able to sit down until my next to last stop. Coming back on Sunday was only slightly better. Still had a nice long weekend, though.
Billpa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6285
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I like the Thanksgiving holiday. We don't have that in Europe (afaik), but we have Sinterklaas at december 5th where we exchange gifts. Exchanging gifts during Christmas is less common in the Netherlands though.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #6286
Timon91
Error

Yeah, but we don't really have a holiday around Sinterklaas. It's just one day.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #6287
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa View Post
Wednesday will likely be the busiest travel day in America all year. I once took the train from Harrisburg to New Haven on the day before Thanksgiving. It was fine until I got to NYC. By then it was also rush hour. Penn station, where I needed to change trains, was absolutely packed. The train to New Haven was as well. I don't think I was able to sit down until my next to last stop. Coming back on Sunday was only slightly better. Still had a nice long weekend, though.
I'm assuming you took the High Speed Keystone Train to Northeast Regional ?
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #6288
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I like those American train names. Like the Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, California Zephyr etc. Much more imaginative than the "intercity to Amsterdam". Other railway names do exist, but are not in actual use.
Old November 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #6289
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I'm assuming you took the High Speed Keystone Train to Northeast Regional ?
That's correct.
Most people got off the Keystone at 30th street- but then many more jumped on board to finish the trip to New York. That part was actually quite enjoyable. But once I got on the Northeast Regional we were stuffed in like sardines with seemingly dozens of conversations going on at once, many via cell phone, which is always enjoyable .
Still it was better than driving.

Last edited by Billpa; November 24th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM   #6290
Nexis
Dark Wolf

You should have taken the Acela , goes about 150-60 in NJ , and is less crowded, in NYC goes 90-110 and same CT , shaves an Hr off , + if you belong to the Acela Club you get to wait in a separate Waiting area. Also has a Snack / Cafe Car.
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #6291
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I like those American train names. Like the Texas Eagle, Sunset Limited, California Zephyr etc. Much more imaginative than the "intercity to Amsterdam". Other railway names do exist, but are not in actual use.
You don't have train names in the Netherlands? Here are running Venice Express, Citadella, Emona, Croatia and more. Pendolino that used to drive between Ljubljana and Venice was called Casanova.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM   #6292
Timon91
Error

No, only international night trains, like the Copernicus (to Prague) and Jan Kiepura (to Warsaw)
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #6293
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
You don't have train names in the Netherlands? Here are running Venice Express, Citadella, Emona, Croatia and more. Pendolino that used to drive between Ljubljana and Venice was called Casanova.
Casanova even used to operate between Venezia and Maribor for 1 or 2 seasons

i adore those train names, especially those named after famous persons. we had lots of names for domestic trains (usually intercities), but they've quit that common but i still call many trains after that names. for instance fast train 702 from Osijek to Rijeka which leave Osijek around noon will always be Rivijera for me
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #6294
Verso
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
Casanova even used to operate between Venezia and Maribor for 1 or 2 seasons
Oh? I didn't know that.
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #6295
Billpa
Beer is a Tasty Treat

Quote:
You should have taken the Acela , goes about 150-60 in NJ , and is less crowded, in NYC goes 90-110 and same CT , shaves an Hr off , + if you belong to the Acela Club you get to wait in a separate Waiting area. Also has a Snack / Cafe Car.
Not sure why I didn't get on the Acela- might've been sold out considering it was Thanksgiving travel.
Old November 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #6296
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Inside a Typical Acela Car
Its Quite roomey and Nice , most Amtrak Trains have a Cafe Car , Except the Keystone Express

Heres a Typical Acela Car

image hosted on flickr

Cafe Car for Bussiness Class aka Regular Class, First Class gets waited on , and more items , to chose form like Steak or Sushi which i heard is very good.

image hosted on flickr

First Class
image hosted on flickr

Those aren't mine , when i ride the Acela Next month or January to Boston form Newark i'll give you a full report and cool shots. Right now , i hear all Acela Trains are Booked Solid till Thursday evening ,with very few spots open.

~Corey
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #6297
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Those aren't mine , when i ride the Acela Next month or January to Boston form Newark i'll give you a full report and cool shots. Right now , i hear all Acela Trains are Booked Solid till Thursday evening ,with very few spots open.
That doesn't surprise me, only 0.05% of the northeastern corridor needs to decide to take the Acela when they otherwise don't, to have it booked solid.

I wonder if they will ever realign the Acela's track to make it more suitable for higher speeds. It would probably be prohibitively expensive to get a ROW for that in New Jersey, Delaware and Connecticut, and impossible in New York due to the high housing density + housing prices. If you have a median house price of $ 600,000, which I don't think is that weird for CT or NJ, and you have to expropriate 1,000 homes, you're already out 600 million dollars.
Old November 24th, 2009, 08:33 PM   #6298
Verso
Islander

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Wow, that's extremely high.
Old November 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6299
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Actually the Acela Goes pretty fast , except in NY-CT where its restricted to 80-110mph due to Old Rails that can't be upgraded , without causing a massive delay and congestion. RI-Mass its 120-160 , and in NJ , MD , DC its 120-150 , PA is getting upgraded along with Delaware and New Jersey so it can faster , i think someone said to me 190. Also more capacity in NJ on the NEC. 2+ more tracks are being built so the total will be 6. And the Centenary are getting a re tensioning to handle higher speeds.

Bowie,Maryland

Amtrak & Marc (metro Baltimore)

Cornwall Height's ,PA , SEPTA ,AMTRAK , & NJT ACES

Trenton Transit Center , SEPTA R7 Northern Terminus , Amtrak , Southern NJT NEC line terminus

Jersey Ave station , i think its only used on weekdays, and is slowly being phased out NJT uses it.

Newark In't Airport Station , used only by NJT

Newark Penn Station, Connections to Newark LRT Lines & PATH to Lower Manhattan, the Passaic River Bridges are finaly getting painted and the southern Platforms are getting repaired

Secacuse JCT
Inside

North East Corridor , Midtown Direct NJT ,Electric Lines , 2nd Floor

New York Penn : Amtrak NEC & NJT ,soon NJT will get a new Station set to open in 2017

Westerly,RI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oToJfLmmeN0

Kingston ,RI

Mansfield,Mass, only the MBTA stops here(metro Boston)

Canton JCT ,Mass

Its South to North along the NEC, i didn't know how to post the Youtube thingy onto the forums.
As You can see our NEC is quite Busy , most of the time , maybe not to Euro Standards , but good enough.
~Corey

Last edited by Nexis; November 27th, 2009 at 12:05 AM.
Old November 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #6300
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Wow, that's extremely high.
This train seems to be high luxury comparing to European high speed trains, especially considering leg space.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways