daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2009, 12:08 AM   #6661
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Breaking News

Blizzard / Winter Storm Warning for much of the Coastal Northeast

Issued by The National Weather Service
New York City, NY
4:34 pm EST, Fri., Dec. 18, 2009

... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO 11 AM EST SUNDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON SATURDAY TO 11 AM EST SUNDAY.

DEEPENING LOW PRESSURE OVER THE ATLANTIC SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT WILL RESULT IN THE A PERIOD OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS. SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 12 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BEFORE THE SNOW ENDS SUNDAY MORNING.

ANY MINOR DEVIATION IN THE TRACK OF THIS STORM SYSTEM WILL HAVE A LARGE IMPACT ON SNOW AMOUNTS AND WIND STRENGTH. AT THIS TIME... THE BEST ESTIMATION IS FOR THE STORM TO TAKE A FAVORABLE TRACK TO PRODUCE THIS MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG GUSTY WINDS. STAY TUNED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

&&

More Information

... WINTER STORM TO IMPACT THE AREA THIS WEEKEND...

.LOW PRESSURE TRACKS TO NEAR CAPE HATTERAS SATURDAY MORNING... THEN DEEPENS AS IT TRACKS TO THE NORTHEAST OVER THE ATLANTIC SATURDAY NIGHT. THE INTENSE LOW WILL PRODUCE A SWATH OF HEAVY SNOWFALL... AS WELL AS A CORRIDOR OF HIGH WINDS. ONCE AGAIN... A TRACK DIFFERENCE OF ONLY 100 MILES WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE WEATHER ACROSS THE REGION.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #6662
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Obama just left the COP15 climate faliure before the final votes, due to bad weather.
The danish oppositions leader, Helle Thorning Schmidt recently said to TV2 News, that she think COP15 was a failure, and all that happened was just signing a piece of paper.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:19 AM   #6663
Ayceman

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
They were talking about severe problems in Romania due to snow. Now I see why
Don't laugh. When the snow came (Monday), the authorities were „caught unprepared” (actually the ones that were supposed to spray stuff on the road lied in their reports and took the profit). I stood 1.5h waiting for a tram in a blizzard, only to find out that a switch jammed at the end of the line, so I took a way too overcrowded and slow (due to traffic and ice) bus for half the distance, then took the metro (to avoid having my toes turn black and fall off) on a big detour, then walk another 0.7km in the blizzard to get home.
Ayceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:29 AM   #6664
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Driving around Europe, there are many differences in signage. Some observations, not in any particular order:

Italy - by far the worst signage in Europe, messy signs that are different from the actual road layout, tiny road numbers, weird control cities and the lack of them.
Belgium - also one of the worst in Europe, old, outdated, and a lack of overheads at some busy freeways. Signs are more often than not obscured by trees and roadside plantation
Germany - one of the best in Europe, clear signs, although no prefixes, but this evened out by the difference in sign colors. Control cities are very well chosen.
Poland - still in developing stages, they don't have overheads suitable for more than 2 lanes yet, which gives problems on their newest six-lane freeways. Not the worst around though.
United Kingdom - I have never driven here myself, but is usually seen as one of the worst in Europe, if I look at the Dutch road forum for reference. Lack of aesthetics, like in Belgium.
France - generally clear signage, although there is a flooding of destinations around a few major cities. All signs are in caps.
Czech Republic - one of the best in central Europe, although using capital letters, it's still very clear. About three generations of signage is visible in this country.
Slovenia - also one of the more developed signage systems, clear signs, although sometimes too much destinations on distance signs.
Switzerland - The typeface is one of the best, although the signs are often messy because they use one overhead panel per lane, which adds to multiple references of the same destination over one roadway. Signage of the road numbers is getting better, but be prepared that some signs only show E-numbers.
Austria - Definitely one of the worst in Europe, messy signs, multiple font sizes and a generally unreadable font.
Denmark - Clear signs, though the use of E-numbers only isn't something I prefer. Control cities could be better on E20 and E45. Copenhagen isn't signed at the most important interchange in the country for instance.
Spain - Generally clear signage, although the numbering system leads to a flooding of road numbers around major cities, some overheads have up to 10 road numbers signed.
Netherlands - the basic system used to be very good, but there's too much clutter in the last 10 years. Also, the new style signage is not uniform and can differ from location to location. It's the only country that puts distance signs before the exit.
Luxembourg - A mix of Belgian, French and German signage. Not too bad, but could be better, especially when it comes to uniformity and the noting of road numbers.
Hungary - clear signage, although the number of country code ovals is sometimes too much in combination with multiple road numbers, especially around Budapest.
Slovakia - Is moving away from it's brother Czechia, signagewise, and has introduced prefixes recently. Still, the mixed use of capitals and normal letters isn't the best solution.
Romania - Generally not that bad, I especially like the U.S. style road numbers.
Greece - Not the worst, but could be better, multilanguage signs always destroy a good signage system.
Portugal - Some kind of a U.K. ripoff, although somewhat better. I don't like destinations like "ESPANHA", just sign the relevant control city.
Sweden - Just okay. Aesthetics could be better, signage is kind of basic.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6665
Danielk2
DanielKK

The most important interchange in DK, where is that??
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #6666
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kolding of course (from a national point of view)
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #6667
Danielk2
DanielKK

North (E45/eastbound E20) or West (E45/westbound E20)??
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #6668
ChrisZwolle
Road user

All interchanges around Kolding. They kind of form one super-interchange An "interchange" doesn't necessarily mean the exact motorway-motorway interchange, it could also be a city. Kind of like a hub.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #6669
Danielk2
DanielKK

That's Kolding allright, the town with 3 interchanges! (Skærup, Kolding N and Kolding V)
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #6670
Danielk2
DanielKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Denmark - Clear signs, though the use of E-numbers only isn't something I prefer. Control cities could be better on E20 and E45. Copenhagen isn't signed at the most important interchange in the country for instance.
E-roads
We could as well have our own numbering system. The E-roads are useless when Germany, the only country that borders Denmark, has very bad signage of E-roads. Plus, when the E-roads were re-numbered in the 90's, all scandinavian road signs on E-roads had to be changed.

Control cities
The E20 has only 4 control cities, which is far from enough. Plus, they are only signed one at a time.
Germany don't sign danish control cities though. On E45 from Kolding to Germany, Flensburg is the control city (damn nationalists sign it "Flensborg).

image hosted on flickr

This for an example (thanks to you for the pic), shows that Flensburg is the main control city. They might as well have signed Vojens, Haderslev, Rødekro, Aabenraa or Padborg. Also, Flensburg has no D oval next to it. Just like Malmö doesn't have an S oval next to it when it's signed in Copenhagen
Old December 19th, 2009, 01:37 AM   #6671
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A guy blew up a shack two streets behind me with an improvised bomb (those are popular to blend with fireworks here). The police traced it back to another neighborhood, where another guy had 2500 kg of highly explosive and unstable fireworks in his home. The military explosives clearing team had to move in and detonate it in a park nearby, because it was too unstable to transport it out of the city.

Imagine if those 2.500 kg of explosive fireworks went off inside his home..

Illegal fireworks (sometimes more like killer explosives than "fireworks") are a major problem in the Netherlands in the last 2 - 3 months of the year. Most people smuggle it from Belgium and Germany, although there's also a lot of stuff found that's not just sold in a supermarket. Also notorious are people with skyrockets that are meant to induce avalanches. They blow up stuff like bus stops, public toilets, mail boxes, cars, shacks, well, basically everything on sight.
Old December 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM   #6672
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A guy blew up a shack two streets behind me with an improvised bomb (those are popular to blend with fireworks here). The police traced it back to another neighborhood, where another guy had 2500 kg of highly explosive and unstable fireworks in his home. The military explosives clearing team had to move in and detonate it in a park nearby, because it was too unstable to transport it out of the city.

Imagine if those 2.500 kg of explosive fireworks went off inside his home..

Illegal fireworks (sometimes more like killer explosives than "fireworks") are a major problem in the Netherlands in the last 2 - 3 months of the year. Most people smuggle it from Belgium and Germany, although there's also a lot of stuff found that's not just sold in a supermarket. Also notorious are people with skyrockets that are meant to induce avalanches. They blow up stuff like bus stops, public toilets, mail boxes, cars, shacks, well, basically everything on sight.
There illegal here to , but you can buy them in PA if your a Law enforcement officer or Fireman its a loop hole in the Law i hope its closed soon. Becuz the guy up the street annoys the neighborhood and gets away with it because hes a Firefighter. But its mainly small fireworks. But its not as bad as where you are Chris , although i don't know about some Midwestern, Southern , & western states where it is legal. And in Pacific Northwest and Rockie states i don't know what the daliy or weekly sky rocket avalanche trigger incidents are. I do know the DOT of those states uses them to trigger controlled slides.

~Corey
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6673
Danielk2
DanielKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Becuz the guy up the street annoys the neighborhood and gets away with it
Where did you learn english??
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #6674
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Brrrr

[IMG]http://i50.************/2yughz8.png[/IMG]
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #6675
Danielk2
DanielKK

Here are some expected temperatures in Europe at 1pm.
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #6676
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Where did you learn english??
I Call it Half english and I use it alot when i'm busy
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #6677
Danielk2
DanielKK

when you're too busy to spell "because"??
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #6678
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Obama just left the COP15 climate faliure before the final votes, due to bad weather.
The danish oppositions leader, Helle Thorning Schmidt recently said to TV2 News, that she think COP15 was a failure, and all that happened was just signing a piece of paper.
Good. No stupid new taxes and regulations for now.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:35 PM   #6679
Danielk2
DanielKK

Yeah.. and no earth in 2050
Old December 19th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #6680
Danielk2
DanielKK

My christmas tree. Decorating it with silly string is much more fun.
image hosted on flickr

Tags
highways, motorways