daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #6861
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

In my school, christmas holiday started at Dec 18 and ends at Jan 4

Sponsored Links
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM   #6862
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

For me as well, the university is closed for two weeks. On Christmas eve many people go to church. Christmas dinner is usually on the 25th over here.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #6863
Danielk2
DanielKK

In which country do you live, timon?? This "just outside germany" doesn't say much.
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #6864
Timon91
Error

The Netherlands, Enschede to be precise, 5 km away from Germany
Old December 24th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #6865
Danielk2
DanielKK

i live 350km (320 in luftlinie) north of Germany in Dronninglund, Denmark
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #6866
Timon91
Error

The closest that I've ever been to Dronninglund is on the E45 on my way to Hirsthals
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6867
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

E39 runs to Hirtshals. E45 runs to Frederikshavn. I have driven both.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:23 PM   #6868
Danielk2
DanielKK

Then chris has been 12km from my house, congratz!
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #6869
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by pijanec View Post
Wearing or not wearing a seatbelt didn't cause an accident so your first argument is meaningless. Every accident is caused by some reason so why would you punish seatbelt, when you don't punish use of mobile phones, bad tyres, being tired behind the wheel, accident because GPS told them to drive wrongly etc.

Your second argument is rational and everyone supporting personal freedoms support it. If you take risks, you pay for it if something happen.
I can sign this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
If the accident is caused by you, you should pay all that stuff. Not wearing a seatbelt could kill you.
That's little bit tough, yeah if you seriously break rules you should pay, but accident can happen to anybody, it depends also on road conditions and million other things, sometimes is not so easy blame only one side or any side. And after all you pay police and ambulance and other services in your taxes, so if you want for guilty side to pay it again, you should return them part of their taxes. I'm working in insurance company mostly with car accidents, so I really know it's not so easy as it can look.

Quote:
I like the banner.
Traffic delays: German invention
Traffic Jams: German one is better
That banner make sense only in some countries, I had there for instance slovak context ads so it didn't make sense at all.

Quote:
It's Christmas .

How and when do you guys celebrate it??

In Denmark, everything is done at dec 24.
Some people goes to church first.
Then we start eating
We dance around the christmas tree
And then unpack our presents.
Same here in Slovakia/Czechia, people have usually christmass dinner at 4-6pm, after it they unpack gifts and some of them are hoing to church for midnight mass. Usual dinner is carp with potato salad or fish fillet with potato salad, some families are starting to make fried schnitzel. 24, 25 and 26th December are state holidays, so almost nobody work and 25th December and 1st January are only two days in year where are all shops (hypermarkets) closed. There are also some local/family traditions except what I mentioned, but this is pretty common in all families. Children are on christmas usually at their parents (like me, I'm today at mother in Czechia and going tomorrow morning with eurocity to Slovakia to father) or at least visit them and next days there are other family/friend visits.
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #6870
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

UK: People either go to midnight mass, then go home and sleep and have a preety much normal day afterwards, with Christmas dinner at lunch time (on the 25th) or if they don't got to mass they go to bed at a normal time.
Portugal: People have christmas dinner during the late hours of the 24th and open presents and such at midnight or if they go to midnight mass, do the latter after mass.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #6871
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

typical slovak/czech christmas dinner (but majority of people add to potato salad also peas and carrot, which I hate), my photos from today

my christmas dinner - fried fish fillets with potato salad (mayo, onion, gherkin, spice, potato)

mother's christmas dinner - fried carp with potato salad

I'm not eating fish because of bones
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #6872
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

i adore carp! but we have some weird custom to eat cod for Christmas Eve. as i don't like it too much, i ate trout
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #6873
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

My brother made dinner for our family tonight

First a pre-appetizer; a piece of baguette with ragoût. Then a dish of salmon with sauce, broccoli with baked potato-parts and finally a dish of strawberry, cooked pear and ananas with melted chocolate.

Yummie
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #6874
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
i adore carp! but we have some weird custom to eat cod for Christmas Eve. as i don't like it too much, i ate trout
Isn't carp in Croatian called krap ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #6875
DanielFigFoz

Here we won't be having Christmas dinner until tomorrow.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #6876
Ayceman

Likes (Received): 7

In Romania:

On Christmas eve (24th) you make the final preparation for the big meal. At around midnight you unwrap the presents, unless Santa arrived early (gifts given in the previous few days).

On the 25th, in the afternoon, we have the Christmas meal, where you invite your relative/friends (and if you're in a rural community, you could go to many people's Christmas meals). The food is heavy and plentiful. Some people consider that they have to eat as if there is no tomorrow (hospitals are prepared in advance for the victims of Christmas meals).

Mateusz: It's called crap here, and there are many languages that call it krap/crap.
Ayceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #6877
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayceman View Post
In Romania:

On Christmas eve (24th) you make the final preparation for the big meal. At around midnight you unwrap the presents, unless Santa arrived early (gifts given in the previous few days).

On the 25th, in the afternoon, we have the Christmas meal, where you invite your relative/friends (and if you're in a rural community, you could go to many people's Christmas meals). The food is heavy and plentiful. Some people consider that they have to eat as if there is no tomorrow (hospitals are prepared in advance for the victims of Christmas meals).
Sounds like the way how I've always celebrated it. Just without the presents

By the way, I don't know if the hospitals are prepared for victims of Christmas meals over here
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:24 AM   #6878
Ayceman

Likes (Received): 7

I forgot to say something about the Christmas sermon, (usually Orthodox, late night on the 24th, to which quite a lot of people go (church yards are usually crowded).

And about the victims, I'm serious, there are quite a lot of people that are rushed to hospital the next day (at least compared to every other country in the world that celebrates something on winter solstice ).
Ayceman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #6879
Timon91
Error

Merry Christmas everybody!
Old December 25th, 2009, 03:05 AM   #6880
DanielFigFoz

Merry Christmas everybody!

Tags