daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #7381
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Those dam lying weather men , said we would get 1-5 inches now we won't , although next week we will get a Bigger Storm and it looks like a direct strike on NYC.

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #7382
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
A tip: avoid sleeping once you get back to the Netherlands. I know that it's very tempting to go to bed once you get home, but for me it has often resulted in a lot of jetlag. The last two times I went to bed at a normal time (10:30 pm or so) and the next day I was fine and didn't have jetlag anymore.
I do the same thing. When I fly to Europe, I go about my day and go to bed at my normal time and no jet lag. I feel fine the next day. Whereas when I fly to the North America, I'm always uncomfortable for at least a week.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #7383
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I also have that. Usually I stay awake all evening and go to bed around midnight when going to the US. That should make you get up later next morning. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Old February 7th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #7384
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

I think it has to do with the fact that it's light the whole flight when you fly west, whereas flying east you still get the day/night/day cycle, although rushed. For example last summer. I flew out of Krakow at noon and arrived in Chicago at 3 in the afternoon, although for me physically it was already 10. Of course I didn't go to bed at 3 but by the time it was about 8 or 9, I could not function anymore and passed out. Then I woke up at some ridiculous hour like 3am and couldn't fall back asleep. Everyday I would wake up a half hour or so later until I finally got readjusted to my normal 7am wake up time.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:16 AM   #7385
piotr71

I have never experienced such a long lasting flight in my life. Though I spent some time up north in Sweden. During summertime there is no night over there. Spending time not far from polar circle I had had real trouble to get asleep.
I was going bed about 1 am to be awaken at 5 again. 4 hours sleep does not sound too much but it was enough. I had been functioning in that way for over a month. I felt relaxed and ready to do my things.
Then, September came up. Day after day sunlight was getting shorter and shorter, eventually, on the end of the month shrunk to just 6-7 hrs a day. In October day lasted no more than 5 hours. Since then I could not wake up any more. I was ready to fall asleep anytime and anywhere. I had no strength to move out of my bed not even saying about having a meal or so. I was pretty certain I reached the limit of my life.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:40 AM   #7386
Nexis
Dark Wolf

OMG

'Snowmageddon' Buries Mid-Atlantic
All NEC trains south of Philly are cancelled due to drifts as high as a 1-story house and fallen trees. All Transit is shut down , except the DC metro and Baltimore Subway , and SEPTA FSL.

Just to give you a taste of what happen South of NYC and not to me

~Corey
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #7387
Timon91
Error

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
I have never experienced such a long lasting flight in my life. Though I spent some time up north in Sweden. During summertime there is no night over there. Spending time not far from polar circle I had had real trouble to get asleep.
I was going bed about 1 am to be awaken at 5 again. 4 hours sleep does not sound too much but it was enough. I had been functioning in that way for over a month. I felt relaxed and ready to do my things.
Then, September came up. Day after day sunlight was getting shorter and shorter, eventually, on the end of the month shrunk to just 6-7 hrs a day. In October day lasted no more than 5 hours. Since then I could not wake up any more. I was ready to fall asleep anytime and anywhere. I had no strength to move out of my bed not even saying about having a meal or so. I was pretty certain I reached the limit of my life.
When I was in Alaska in 2008, I've stayed in a hotel in Fairbanks, quite close to the Arctic Circle. Even though it was in the beginning of August, the sun wouldn't set until 11 pm. After that, it would still be light for a few hours (dim). At 5:30 the sun would rise again. Luckily the hotel had very good curtains

By the way, in Poland the sun seems to rise quite early compared to the Netherlands. Logical of course, since Poland is several hundred km east of here, but it's in the same time zone. I encountered this when I stayed overnight in Poland for the first time in my life, in 2007. I stayed in some cheap hotel in Zagan, where I got a room with these lovely curtains:

[IMG]http://i45.************/264js77.jpg[/IMG]

Of course the view out of my window was eastwards and it was in the beginning of August -> I woke up at 5:15 next morning
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7388
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Of course the view out of my window was eastwards and it was in the beginning of August -> I woke up at 5:15 next morning
I've spent last semester at the student exchange in Denmark. It started in August, so we've experenced some summer sunrises at normal times (=5.30 AM ). I was astonished to find out that all my "western" flatmates (French, Italian and Spanish) had problems with early sunrises and couldn't sleep properly for nearly a month. I don't know anyone in Poland who has any problems with that, usually there are some curtains in houses but they don't block the sun completely.

Quote:
I stayed in some cheap hotel in Zagan, where I got a room with these lovely curtains:
Ah yes, typical Commie curtains I hate them, their only purpose is to accumulate dust.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #7389
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

As a comic relief: A picture I've taken in the summer. Alternative geography at Bangkok's airport.

Last edited by Fuzzy Llama; February 8th, 2010 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Previous image source went bonkers.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM   #7390
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
As a comic relief: A picture I've taken in the summer. Alternative geography at Bangkok's airport.

lol, this one makes some sense
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 04:46 AM   #7391
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Quote:
By the way, in Poland the sun seems to rise quite early compared to the Netherlands. Logical of course, since Poland is several hundred km east of here, but it's in the same time zone. I encountered this when I stayed overnight in Poland for the first time in my life, in 2007.
On the other hand, I'm used to the early sunrises in Poland. So when I was in Paris this summer, I was shocked at the fact that it just starting to get dark at 11PM...(granted I was in the city June 20 - 22, so this was right at the summer solstice) I knew I was hundreds of km west so I should have expected it but I guess it doesn't really throw you for a loop until you experience it personally. I had walked and toured all day long so I decided to go back to my hostel and rest a little before going out for the night. So I lay in bed and kept waiting for it to getting dark and I remember just waiting and wondering if the sun was ever going to go down.

Old February 9th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #7392
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

Italians are always wondering how others are able to sleep without shutters... and "in winter the bedroom isn't colder?"

[IMG]http://i45.************/264js77.jpg[/IMG]
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #7393
Timon91
Error

Possibly, but was there in summer. I hardly slept that night because the bed was 1,80 m long. And back then I was....1,82 m tall
Old February 9th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #7394
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Wow look at this picture of the recent Blizzard that hit the Mid - Atlantic ,notice it doesn't reach the NYC that was becuz of dry air , but tonights storm is different moist air. 10-20 inches expected for my town by tomorrow night.

~Corey
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7395
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

just as forecasted - quite a snow became to fall here this evening!
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:44 PM   #7396
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post

what are they doing?

Do not they know how to switch on the differential lock?
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #7397
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19422

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM   #7398
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

isn't it ironic...
x-type está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #7399
piotr71

Where in USA is that picture taken from?
It is not even ironic, it seems to be sort of pathetic all this climate warming stuff. There is one of the strongest winter for years in Poland as well as in England. Hmm, unless extremely strong winter which happened this year, works as a warning, before next stage which will be warming.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #7400
CptSchmidt
Nova Scotian driver.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I love this .

Tags
highways, motorways