daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #7541
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

People look very calm. Here there were some hefty fights with security personnel at some Lidl or Hofer (Aldi) openings.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #7542
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Yeah, this has been known since the 1990's when hands-free devices became common. The main problem is really not holding a cell phone (I always drive with one hand on the wheel), but having that conversation. Of course texting is even more distracting.

There's a whole bunch of things on a list that is distracting while driving. Eating, nose-picking, drinking, changing CD's, listen to a radio show, singing, taking pics, shaving, reading the paper, smoking, or any of these combined.
It is something that I've always had a big disagreement with - is it the talking or holding the phone that's distracting. It's definitely talking. I mean, people talk with the other pasengers all the time. It doesn't seem to slow anyone (or drive erratically) down or anything. I usually am on my bluetooth all the way to home from work. Never ever has it distracted me in the slightest. But if I hold my phone, it slows me down EVEN IF I'M NOT SPEAKING OR LISTENING. And this is coming from someone who always uses one hand on the steering wheel. Interestingly, if I'm busy doing something else with my hands (sometimes taking off both the hands off of the steering wheel and using my legs to steer), it doesn't at all affect my driving.
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:03 AM   #7543
siamu maharaj
樂豪酒店

Likes (Received): 4962

BTW, what I really mean by slowing down (in my case) is that I can't do my usual driving. Like in here, you change lanes to overtake on average around 15 times a minute, maybe even more. If I'm holding a phone, that goes down to maybe 4-5 times. But if I'm on my bluetooth handsfree, I do my usual driving.
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM   #7544
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Are the Sporting Mom's of Europe, just as aggressive as the Sporting Mom's of the US?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7545
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
so i thought that BASF could have the largest complex of chemical industry in the world
There's supposedly one in Texas that's bigger in area, but that one's mostly oil storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Unbelievable! It is massive! There must be an internal communication system there. Are there buses going in?
The main method to get around the plant is by bicycle. The company has some 13,500 bicycles placed throughout around the plant, which the employees can use to get around. This is effectively also safer, since you can drive into areas with those where you don't want to bring a combustion engine for safety reasons.

The plant forms a large cone reaching into the city from the north. The eastern border of this section is the Rhine river, the western border is a large street with two tram lines (not mixed with road traffic). These tram lines service stops at 7 entries into the plant, from south to north: Hemshofstraße (located next to plant HQ), "BASF Gate 1+2", AWETA (company located on plant), "BASF Gate 3", "BASF Gate 5", "BASF Gate 11", "BASF Q920".

In addition there are two public bus lines that service "BASF Gate 12", "BASF Gate 7" and "BASF South" (railway station, see below). Another bus line also stops outside Gate 1+2 and Gate 3.
There are supposedly some other (internal) bus connections, but BASF doesn't publicize those.

During the peak hours (shift changes), there are railway lines with DMUs servicing inside the plant. The plant has three passenger railway stations (BASF South, BASF Central, BASF North), which are connected to Ludwigshafen Central Station by a 600m tunnel under the city. The passenger railway stations are located in the eastern part of the plant, the western part can be reached more quickly through the above tram lines.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #7546
piotr71

It's worth to be patient to get such exact and full answer.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #7547
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Slovakia is not yet 1st in Europe (world?) in number of manufactured cars per 1000 citizens

I'm suprised about Belgium, dunno what are they manufacturing.
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:36 PM   #7548
tsov
Hydropneumatique

Likes (Received): 0

Belgium has a Ford/Volvo plant in Genk and (still) an Opel plant in Antwerp (which is closing down due to the GM-problems). I don't know wheter there are more plants in Belgium, actually. I know that some ten years ago there was a Renault plant in Vilvoorde, but that's closed now.
tsov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:48 PM   #7549
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Excepting the Renault plant in Piteşti, Romania has a Ford plant in Craiova, but it is still under modernization. It is set to start producing cars this year (if the financial crisis will allow it), so Romania will probably increase its number of units produced every year.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #7550
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Apparantly, it was a new shop, and they had some real discount of electronics. The whole area was gridlocked, angry soccer moms who couldn't bring their kids to school.
Somrthing like discount quality DVD player for 20 euros and so on ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 11:41 PM   #7551
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

yep,, and if there is something the dutch cant resist,, its bargains,, If you want to profit from these bargains, you have to be there at opening time after the first day the new discount folder was issued.. and thats why you get pictures like Chris's
Old March 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM   #7552
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
It's worth to be patient to get such exact and full answer.
Btw, one can see the BASF plant quite nicely when driving on the A6 and looking south when crossing the Rhine just north of the plant. Everything till the horizon on the western bank of the River is BASF pretty much.

The major downside of BASF is that they've already managed to blow up the entire plant twice - and the two residential areas next to it along with the plant. Well, and the fact that it sometimes "snows" in June in Ludwigshafen
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #7553
piotr71

I had to get blind for a short period of time driving there. How could I miss this plant. Last year I was driving on A6 from the west end to the east one.

Anyway, I really appreciate your explanation.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:40 PM   #7554
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I went on a little roadtrip with Timon. We drove N35 towards Almelo, then A35/A1 towards the German border, toured the truck parkings which were significantly overloaded, then German A30 and A31 to Ochtrup. We checked out the B54 construction near Steinfurt, then took the back road into Enschede, toured the Roombeek neighborhood (which was blasted away in 2000. We searched for a statue of Lenin, but couldn't find it. I dropped him off at the Enschede railway station and then drove back to Zwolle.

Which brings this trip to 270 kilometers, the weekend total to 450 kilometers and the 8-day total to 1020 km.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #7555
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

My state and the Region are a mess after a strong Noreaster blew through last night. With winds up to 70mph , power is out to millions and they are telling us it won't be back to Tuesday. The Roar of generators can be heard through out the neighborhood. Traffic Lights are out all over the place , but the trains still work. Bound Brook is under 6inches -4 feet of water and is completly evacuated. The Turnpike was shut down yesterday due to flooding and debris falling form an overpass UC. A crane collapsed in AC. Also one of the Regions largest malls lost power and had to be cleared out. I took so cool shots i'll upload them when i get my wifi signal back. The whole storm will be gone by tommorrow evening. Then a week of near summer temps. Utility company's form as far away as Ohio and Kentucky are coming.

Raritan Valley line @ Bound Brook and Flooding shots

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #7556
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

That's bad. Northeast is down on its luck lately when it comes to weather anomalies.
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #7557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Sign mixup in Hattem, the Netherlands.

image hosted on flickr

The left one was most likely turned around by someone.
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7558
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

what does that horizontal signalization mean? i've seen it only in NL
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #7559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You mean this?

It's a "woonerf", where the speed walking is advised (15 km/h). This was implemented a lot in the 1980's and early 1990's, but seems to have fallen in favor of the general 30 km/h speed limit zones now.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #7560
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

noo, i know that one. i mean this what looks like pedestrian crossing (on the road)

Tags
highways, motorways