daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #7601
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Btw, this car is probably Volkswagen Caddy
Looks like a Fiat Doblò
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 21st, 2010, 12:35 PM   #7602
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Another question to the Dutch forumers - is there a reason to go to Rotterdam for a tourist with relatively limited time?

Is it possible to get good views of the port, and if yes, is it worth it?

Currently, I am planning to visit The Hague and Amsterdam, and then head down to Germany.
Old March 21st, 2010, 01:25 PM   #7603
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know what "limited time" is for you exactly, but if you want to see the port of Rotterdam (which is VERY impressive), you may be interested in the Spido cruise.

http://www.spido.nl/default-site.asp...&MenuID=9&ID=9

There are two cruise options, a 75 minute tour that takes the inner harbor, and a 2 hour and 15 minute tour that takes you to the gigantic outer harbor, where the largest ships and refineries are visible. However, the extended tour is only during the summer. You also have an awesome view on the Rotterdam skyline.

The extended tour is only € 15.50
Old March 21st, 2010, 02:08 PM   #7604
TheCat

Oh thanks, that looks like a nice possibility. Unfortunately I'll be there in May so no extended tour, but the other one also looks good.

Well, to be honest I'm not sure myself yet what I mean by "limited time". In around 2 weeks, when I'm finally done with all of my university assignments and the most stressful exams, I will probably ask the people on this forum for some suggestions for my trip, since there are a lot of Europeans here.

I basically have 3 weeks to visit Paris (that's where the flight arrives/departs), London (these are "musts") and a few other places. I still have to plan some stuff with my friends, but my plan right now is to do a little "lap" starting from Paris, visiting Brussels, some cities in NL, and some cities in Germany in the process.

It's my first time in Europe (aside from technically being born there, but that doesn't really count ).
Old March 21st, 2010, 03:07 PM   #7605
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

I think May is the best time to visiting European cities and to travel across a countries. It`s not so hot weather here, but also not cold. I was in London last summer (in June) and it was horrible, aboute 35°C. Good choice.

Btw, where exactly you was born?

PS: Last may I was just in Budapest for 2 days, it was the best time for sightseeing as I said. Sometimes you have to wear jacket, but always t-shirt is OK.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; March 21st, 2010 at 04:30 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2010, 04:02 PM   #7606
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

You can get a beer in Enschede if you like, TheCat
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM   #7607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I feel bad for the French road enthusiasts. The SARA forum (Sites Amoureux des Routes & Autoroutes) lost over 4 months of data because of a forum crash.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 01:23 AM   #7608
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I think May is the best time to visiting European cities and to travel across a countries. It`s not so hot weather here, but also not cold. I was in London last summer (in June) and it was horrible, aboute 35°C. Good choice.

Btw, where exactly you was born?

PS: Last may I was just in Budapest for 2 days, it was the best time for sightseeing as I said. Sometimes you have to wear jacket, but always t-shirt is OK.
Thanks for the tips I just have bad memories about the weather in Toronto last summer. We had 2°C in the beginning of June.

I was actually born in St. Petersburg (Russia), although my family is originally from Belarus (it was all USSR at the time). But I grew up in Israel and Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
You can get a beer in Enschede if you like, TheCat
Heh, that might be possible on the way to Germany
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:50 AM   #7609
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3451

Hey I'm drinking a coors light. IT'S ILLEGAL.

But cmon guys, we have to celebrate that the health care reform passed. Love u Obammers.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7610
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Hey I'm drinking a coors light. IT'S ILLEGAL.
You've been doing a little bootlegging there, right?
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:28 PM   #7611
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Thanks for the tips I just have bad memories about the weather in Toronto last summer. We had 2°C in the beginning of June.
In May is temperature always good. Btw, now is 14/19 °C in Slovakia.

Quote:
I was actually born in St. Petersburg (Russia), although my family is originally from Belarus (it was all USSR at the time). But I grew up in Israel and Canada.
Part of my family were Jews. So I am slightly also from Israel.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..

Last edited by seem; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:26 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #7612
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You've been doing a little bootlegging there, right?
Bootlegging? Im afraid we speak a different language lol.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #7613
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think so:

Quote:
Bootleg or bootlegging usually refers to making, transporting and/or selling illegal alcoholic liquor or copyrighted material; the term originates from concealing hip flasks of alcohol in the legging of boots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_and_the_Bandit

Quote:
As the movie begins, rich Texan Big Enos Burdette and his son, Little Enos, are trying to find a truck driver willing to haul Coors beer to Georgia for their refreshment. Unfortunately, due to federal liquor laws and state liquor tax regulations of the time, selling and/or shipping Coors east of the Mississippi River was considered bootlegging
Old March 24th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #7614
Ni3lS

lololol. No you're not even close. Coors light is a beer brand. It's from Denver actually
Old March 26th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #7615
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Well, technically the brewery is in Golden.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM   #7616
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Is this a bit ambitious? 14 cities, 4,150miles, 2 nights in each city, I'd take a tent and one friend, and go in my Tigra. It takes in Amsterdam, Prague, Budapest, Arpasu de Jos in Romania (which is the base for the Transfăgărăşan Pass, as seen on Top Gear), then Bucharest, Nesebar in Bulgaria, Istanbul, Sofia, Novi Sad, Ljubjana, then do the Stelvio Pass to go to Turin, then end in Lyon (or if I'm not there living there then do a more direct route from Ljubjana back to the UK possibly via the Nurburgring). I want to do a huge roadtrip, this sounds perfect.
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:04 PM   #7617
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I go on road trips with a tent too, you can't get it cheaper, although you're more prone to bad (cold/rainy) weather.
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #7618
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I go on road trips with a tent too, you can't get it cheaper, although you're more prone to bad (cold/rainy) weather.
Do you sleep at campsites where you have to pay?
Camping outside campgrounds is illegal in some EU countries. I wonder how strictly that rule is enforced if you behave responsibly (leave the place as you found it) ?

I used to just find a quiet parking lot or service area and sleep in my car. Not the safest thing, but I was never robbed or anything like that. The scariest thing that happened was in Italy north of Caserta when I woke up to police sirens and found out the gas station had just been robbed at gun point.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #7619
ChrisZwolle
Road user

For € 10 I have a safe and comfortable place to stay on a camping, with showers and toilet nearby.
Old March 27th, 2010, 05:14 AM   #7620
kato2k8

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Camping outside campgrounds is illegal in some EU countries. I wonder how strictly that rule is enforced if you behave responsibly (leave the place as you found it) ?
In Germany it depends on the state whether it is illegal. Some states allow pitching a tent for a single overnight stay as long as it's not in a nature protection habitat or on private property without permission.
kato2k8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways