daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #7701
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Awesome

Anyone knows what my chances are of making it to Europe in the beginning of May? I am worried...

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:27 AM   #7702
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

It's nice to be the most popular Infrastructure and Mobility subforum.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:19 AM   #7703
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

Oh yea everyone, LET'S SPAM UNTIL WE GET TO 100.000!!!

j/k
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:02 AM   #7704
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Anyone knows what my chances are of making it to Europe in the beginning of May? I am worried...
Air traffic is starting up again, so it should be fine within two weeks
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM   #7705
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91
Air traffic is starting up again, so it should be fine within two weeks
Who knows when does it will be OK?

In fact, It doesn`t matter for you. South of Europe might be open also during a big eruption.

for me it matters because UK is just under the Iceland and I realy don`t want to use a bus to travel there.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:00 PM   #7706
Ni3lS

Ya I just read that it's just a matter of time when the vulcano next to this one is going to erupt. My parents are coming over next week and it would suck if they couldn't.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:23 PM   #7707
seem
Mornar bez mora

Yeah, for Europeans it is not so terrible. We can use our cars, trains and buses. But for Americans that`s pretty bad.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:05 PM   #7708
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

The problem is, nobody learns from this thing.

As soon as the ash cloud disentegrates, people are gonna fly just as much as they did before
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:35 PM   #7709
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Who knows when does it will be OK?

In fact, It doesn`t matter for you. South of Europe might be open also during a big eruption.

for me it matters because UK is just under the Iceland and I realy don`t want to use a bus to travel there.
It matters to me because I have a ticket booked to Paris, and then a bunch of non-refundable train reservations in NL and Germany. But right now it looks good, seems everything is mostly back to normal. I hope no major eruption occurs again.
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:02 PM   #7710
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
It matters to me because I have a ticket booked to Paris, and then a bunch of non-refundable train reservations in NL and Germany. But right now it looks good, seems everything is mostly back to normal. I hope no major eruption occurs again.
I also hope there won`t be eruptions. It will be so hard for me.

but if there still will be some eruptions you can change your flight to one of these cities on the south coast and than travel by bus, train to France/ Germany. It might be difficult and more expensive.

This vulcanoe haven`t erupt for 200 years, so it`s pretty hard to say how long will eruptions takes.

PS: One guy from Slovak forum had to traveled by train from London to Vienna. It takes 20 hours. Usually it takes "just" 12 hours.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 03:09 AM   #7711
TheCat

I have a question - is there passport control when traveling by train inside the Schengen zone?
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:11 AM   #7712
Ni3lS

I don't know what the 'Shengen' zone is but if it's in Europe, probably not. Unless you are going to a country that is not a member of the European Union.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:44 AM   #7713
seem
Mornar bez mora

No, there is not passport control inside the Schengen zone. There are no just states of EU, but also other states. By the way, UK and Ireland are in EU, but not in Schengen.

this picture explains everything

Dark blue Full Schengen EU members
Light blue Non-EU Schengen members
Yellow Future members
Green Cooperating countries

Quote:
The Amsterdam Treaty of 1997 incorporated the Schengen Agreements into the mainstream of European Union law. The borderless zone created by the Schengen Agreements, the Schengen Area, currently consists of 25 European countries, covering a population of over 400 million people and an area of 4,312,099 square kilometres (1,664,911 sq mi).[2]. Ireland and the United Kingdom opted out of Schengen's border control arrangements, while participating in certain provisions relating to judicial and police cooperation.
and another useful picture

on the border are just signs like that

Old April 22nd, 2010, 08:15 AM   #7714
seem
Mornar bez mora

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:48 AM   #7715
TheCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
No, there is not passport control inside the Schengen zone. There are no just states of EU, but also other states. By the way, UK and Ireland are in EU, but not in Schengen. ...
Thanks! Yeah, I'm familiar with all the details of Schengen (though I guess your response was mostly directed to Ni3lS).

I just wanted to make sure regarding the train, because I know how it applies to road traffic. I know about the UK too, I already got special declaration cards to fill out, and will have my passport ready.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:59 AM   #7716
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
The problem is, nobody learns from this thing.
As soon as the ash cloud disentegrates, people are gonna fly just as much as they did before

yeah!

everybody should stay on his/her ass!

or at least pay 100% tax on airtravel...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM   #7717
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
I have a question - is there passport control when traveling by train inside the Schengen zone?
There are no more checkpoints at borders, but you can get checked by police or customs anywhere within the Schengen area. Random checks on international trains are quite frequent. (Even more frequent if the train originated in the NL - I'll leave it to you to figure out why.)

Only recently, I had to show my passport to two police officers on a train from Vienna to Munich. They had a laptop and checked everyone on that train for outstanding warrents or their immigration status. Oh, and that took place between Vienna and Linz, so even passengers who had no intention of crossing any borders were also checked.

Last edited by snowman159; April 22nd, 2010 at 05:10 PM.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM   #7718
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I'm familiar with all the details of Schengen (though I guess your response was mostly directed to Ni3lS).

I just wanted to make sure regarding the train, because I know how it applies to road traffic. I know about the UK too, I already got special declaration cards to fill out, and will have my passport ready.
You are welcome..

It doesn`t matter how are you traveling. Just pass the border and don`t mind.

PS: I have to get a new passport. If I`ll be in another state so long it might be useful to have passport, not just ID. So thank you to remind me that because in summer there are always long queues. I have to do it now.

Last edited by seem; April 22nd, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:24 PM   #7719
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Although Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are not in Schengen, there is no passport control between them and Schengen countries. For an ordinary traveller, they are in Schengen too. So the correct map of Schengen Area is:
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:35 PM   #7720
seem
Mornar bez mora

One more explanation.

Tags
highways, motorways