daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7781
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Where exactly are you now?

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #7782
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Amsterdam But I am leaving in a few hours to Germany.
Really beautiful city, I liked it a lot. We also visited Rotterdam and The Hague.
Old May 9th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7783
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice What other countries will you be visiting?
Old May 10th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #7784
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The radar got me at 109 km/h. They subtract a 3% margin at speeds over 100 km/h. and 3km/h at speeds below 100 km/h.

There is only one place they are able to set up a speed camera team on that stretch of motorway, and that's in the last few 100 m of the 100 km/h zone. But that's the Dutch police, they want easy money.
That sounds exactly like the Estonian police.

An example: The police were measuring speed on Tallinn-Narva 4-lane highway 2 days before the speed limit was raised from 90km/h to 110km/h. How the f**k does that increase traffic safety?
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #7785
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

it does not. Speed checks aren't about anyone's safety. It's about easy money. Every time you screw up the police get rich.

A little like the people who writes tickets to illegally parked cars. In Denmark, these guys can get 80€ for an illegal parking.
(For some reason they are exceptionally good at randomly giving fines and not documenting location and time of the parking later)
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #7786
Rebasepoiss

Speed checks aren't always for the easy money. Estonia has only 16 automatic speed cameras at the moment but all of them are situated in places where a large number of accidents have occured during the years. That is tight corners and steeper slopes with decreased visibility, villages where pedestrians and cyclists share the road with cars etc. That's where speed checks should be....

It doesn't really bother me if people drive over the speed limit(to some extent, of course) when the conditons are good. What does annoy me, though, is when people don't slow down when it's actually necessary to go slower.
Old May 10th, 2010, 11:50 PM   #7787
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Do you have automatic speed cameras oo the motorways?
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:21 AM   #7788
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3451

Yea in Holland we do.

Sometimes the police uses laserguns/detection or for example a parked car on the side of the highway. Those are just temporarily though.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #7789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Apart from the section controls, fixed speed cameras on Dutch motorways are pretty rare. They mostly enforce the limits with mobile teams.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #7790
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I really liked the way the police was giving out parking tickets in Amsterdam The policeman was just checking the license plates of vehicles with a wireless terminal, which in my understanding communicates with the parking meter. That's very efficient In Toronto we have to display printed parking permits on the windshield.
Old May 11th, 2010, 02:12 PM   #7791
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Apart from the section controls,
How much do you have them?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #7792
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How much do you have them?
A2 between Maarssen and Breukelen (temporarily out of service) 120 km/h
A4 between Hoofddorp and Nieuw Vennep 120 km/h
A10 between Nieuwe Meer and Coentunnel (both directions) 80 km/h
A12 local lanes, between Oudenrijn and Lunetten (both directions) 80 km/h
A12 express lanes, between Lunetten and De Meern (both directions) 100 km/h
A12 between De Meern and Woerden 120 km/h
A12 between Prins Clausplein and Den Haag (both directions) 80 km/h
A12 between Kleinpolderplein and Rotterdam Airport (both directions) 80 km/h
A20 between Kleinpolderplein and Terbregseplein (both directions) 80 km/h
N256 Zeeland Bridge(both directions) 80 km/h
N62 Westerschelde Tunnel (both directions) 100 km/h
N381 between Wijnjewoude and Donkerbroek (both directions) 80 km/h
N919 near Veenhuizen
Old May 11th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #7793
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I really liked the way the police was giving out parking tickets in Amsterdam The policeman was just checking the license plates of vehicles with a wireless terminal, which in my understanding communicates with the parking meter. That's very efficient In Toronto we have to display printed parking permits on the windshield.
In Tallinn we use SMS parking, at least the majority(90%) of people uses it. The system has been in use since 2000. You first have to contact your mobile phone operator to activate the service. And then you just send an SMS with the number on your car's license plate and the name of the zone you're parking in. The parking bill will be added to your phone bill.

The authorities can check your "ticket" with small wireless terminals that have internet connection.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; May 11th, 2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #7794
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
I was wondering how they checked that because I couldn't see any tickets in the car windscreens. We parked on the Zienseniskade for two hours without paying, didn't see a single traffic warden the whole time.
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #7795
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe they paid their parking tickets with SMS payment, like they have in Estonia (per Rebasepoiss)

Central Amsterdam parking is € 5 per hour ($ 6.50), although I believe there are a few garages which are more expensive. The hourly parking rates taper off once you'll get further outside the city center. Almost all inside the A10 Ring Road, and south of the IJ river has parking fees. Even the new residential development of IJburg has a € 2,40 per hour parking rate.

You can park mostly for free just across the IJ river, you only have to cross the river. Another option is to use a P+R, you can park 24 hours for € 6 and have a free transit pass towards downtown.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7796
Zanovijetalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
In Tallinn we use SMS parking, at least the majority(90%) of people uses it. The system has been in use since 2000. You first have to contact your mobile phone operator to activate the service. And then you just send an SMS with the number on your car's license plate and the name of the zone you're parking in. The parking bill will be added to your phone bill.

The authorities can check your "ticket" with small wireless terminals that have internet connection.
Exactly the same system in Zagreb, since 2001. Perhaps it was Tallinn we stole the idea from.
Zanovijetalo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #7797
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

I think it was since 1999 in Vilnius.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 05:08 PM   #7798
Rebasepoiss

Who cares who invented it? It's brilliant!
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #7799
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Maybe they paid their parking tickets with SMS payment, like they have in Estonia (per Rebasepoiss)

Central Amsterdam parking is € 5 per hour ($ 6.50), although I believe there are a few garages which are more expensive. The hourly parking rates taper off once you'll get further outside the city center. Almost all inside the A10 Ring Road, and south of the IJ river has parking fees. Even the new residential development of IJburg has a € 2,40 per hour parking rate.

You can park mostly for free just across the IJ river, you only have to cross the river. Another option is to use a P+R, you can park 24 hours for € 6 and have a free transit pass towards downtown.
We stayed at Camping Zeeburg, so we can park there and take the tram in. It was just on our final day we had to drop a friend at Amstel station and then we had some time to kill before heading back to Calais. It surprised me that you have to pay to park in all of the suburbs too, like in Zeeburg by the shops. We didn't pay though. Are parking tickets even enforceable against foreign cars?
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #7800
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

You have to pay to park on the High Streets of alot of suburban areas of London too.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways