daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #7841
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3442

450 euro's is pretty cheap...
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 24th, 2010, 09:36 PM   #7842
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

I'm surprised by the long theory lessons though. In the Netherlands theory lessons are optional, just as long as you'll pass the theory exam.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:04 PM   #7843
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
During that time you cannot drive faster than 90km/h and you also have to attend a slippery-surface driving course(6 x 45min of theory, 8 x 25 min of practice).

How it is possible to drive a car on a motorway at 90 km/h?
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:58 PM   #7844
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
How it is possible to drive a car on a motorway at 90 km/h?
We have no motorways and only around 90km of dual carriageways in Estonia so ...
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:03 PM   #7845
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm surprised by the long theory lessons though. In the Netherlands theory lessons are optional, just as long as you'll pass the theory exam.
I didn't have to take so many theory lessons, though. But that was because my course was partly internet-based. I had to do tests at eSchool regularly to be allowed to make the final test. We have 4 exams all together: a theory exam and a driving exam both at the driving school and at the
Estonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre(ARK).
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #7846
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
We have no motorways and only around 90km of dual carriageways in Estonia so ...
You are always typing about motorways in your thread. Anyway, that Estonian thread is called [EST] Highways & Motorways in Estonia | Eesti teed. I thought you have many kilometres of motorways.

If in Estonia you cannot drive faster than 90km/h what`s the speed limit? I am wondering cos you don`t have a motorways. In Slovakia there is a speed limit 130 km/h on a motorways and 90 km/h on the other roads out of a city.

btw, are there junction like on a motorways on your dual carriageways?
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:26 PM   #7847
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Back from a weekendtrip to Sauerland (Germany) and Luxemburg. This was my first camping experience since I was a little child, but I loved it. It was also the first time I drove in luxemburg, gotta love driving there.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2010, 11:45 PM   #7848
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
we have 30x45min theory, 9x45min first aid lessons and 35x60min driving (of which 5 hours at training lot)
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7849
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
You are always typing about motorways in your thread. Anyway, that Estonian thread is called [EST] Highways & Motorways in Estonia | Eesti teed. I thought you have many kilometres of motorways.

If in Estonia you cannot drive faster than 90km/h what`s the speed limit? I am wondering cos you don`t have a motorways. In Slovakia there is a speed limit 130 km/h on a motorways and 90 km/h on the other roads out of a city.

btw, are there junction like on a motorways on your dual carriageways?
I didn't create the thread and thus didn't write the title for the thread either. .

Older dual carriageways sometimes have U-turns and at-grade junctions but newly built ones are with limited-access and grade-separated junctions. The speed limit on dual carriageways is 110km/h during the summer but only 90km/h during the rest of the year. Other roads generally have a speed limit of 90km/h which on better roads is increased to 100km/h for the summertime.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #7850
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another cow crossing (plus the farmer's wife who - from the looks of it - just ate an entire cow )
image hosted on flickr
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #7851
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Just came back from Europe a few hours ago!
Old May 26th, 2010, 12:17 AM   #7852
seem
Mornar bez mora

How are you feeling about Europe now?

pleas name the places where you was..
Old May 26th, 2010, 02:58 AM   #7853
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

I've been to:
Amsterdam
-Rotterdam
-The Hague
Berlin
Munich
London
-Windsor and Stonehenge
Paris
-Brussels

(The indented locations were visited in a single day without overnight stay)

The trip was very nice - we saw most of the "famous" places and landmarks and got a taste of Europe. It is certainly a very interesting place to visit, but I still prefer to live in Canada, for various reasons .

Out of all the places, I really liked NL. It seemed to me like a better place to live (as opposed to just being a tourist) compared to the other countries I visited. I was also very impressed by the fluency of what seemed to be the entire population in the English language. Also, people were very helpful and often asked us whether we needed directions. The only negative was that we were there during the garbage strike in Amsterdam, so garbage cans everywhere were overflowing. Also, I almost got killed by bicycles on at least several occasions .

Germany was pretty nice. Berlin felt more like a large modern city with huge historic monuments, whereas Munich had more of the ancient-looking streets and traditional neighbourhoods. Due to my Russian Jewish heritage, the history was very interesting to me.

I liked London a lot too. It was more reminiscent of home (except for the driving on the wrong side - which confused me sometimes when crossing the street ), and I really enjoyed walking along the Thames river and getting nice views from the bridges. The Tube was pretty nice as well - a very clean and efficient system (although the trains are much smaller than what I am used to).

Paris is of course, Paris . Lots of history, really impressive architecture, and there is definitely a special atmosphere. However, it was not my favourite. I found the city overall to be somewhat dirty, and especially the subway, while being very efficient, is quite rundown. Also, communicating using English was definitely the hardest in Paris.

But of course, it's hard to say from just a few days in each city. Overall I had an enjoyable stay, and will come again (and probably visit the other European countries I didn't get a chance to visit).
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #7854
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat
Out of all the places, I really liked NL. It seemed to me like a better place to live (as opposed to just being a tourist) compared to the other countries I visited.
You might think different if you'd live here. Amsterdam isn't that representative for our country as a whole, imo.

About the knowledge of English: children here are getting English classes already at the age of +- 10 years old. Also, loads of English words are integrated in our language (sometimes a bit too much, I think) and we seem to be one of the rare countries that always use subtitles instead of synchronization on foreign movies/news/documantaries etc.

Last edited by Jeroen669; May 27th, 2010 at 01:07 AM.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #7855
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen669 View Post
You might think different if you'd live here. Amsterdam isn't that representative for our country as a whole, imo.

About the knowledge of English: children here are getting English classes already at the age of +- 10 years old. Also, loads of English words are integrated (sometimes a bit too much, I think) and we seem to be one of the rare countries that always use subtitles instead of synchronization on foreign movies/news/documantaries etc.
also in Norway

I like Polish films with one speaking voice all the time.
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #7856
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
... plus the farmer's wife who - from the looks of it - just ate an entire cow
Phew, what an amazing derrière!
It's mesmerising and gives me narcolepsy!

But what is that darker patch in the middle?

Quote:
... I like Polish films with one speaking voice all the time.
Nah, original version with subtitles is always best, followed by proper professional dubbing.
Having a lector doing real-time translation is frustrating at times.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:19 AM   #7857
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Guys a quick question. A few days back I had a situation in London. It all happened in the city during the busy lunchtime.

I was walking on a pedestrian sidewalk and crossed some small street on my way. At the same time there was a car turning to that little street from the main street.

Who has the right of way? Of course I could have just stopped and let the car go but I was really on a hurry and just made my way without waiting for the car to pass or stop and let me go first. What the driver did, he signalled with a horn angrily without even intending to slow down and then did it again a few times after I was on the other side of the little street making my way further on the sidewalk away from the scene. I turned around and angrily shouted "**** you ****" clearly showing my midle finger to him (it was a Toyota prius, so this made me loose even more respect to him ). Who was right in this kind of situation according to the British traffic rules?

A quick painting of the situation
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #7858
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The pedestrian has right-of-way. It continues in the same direction while the car does not. At least, that's the rule in the Netherlands.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #7859
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

I can't find the link, but one user from Britain once said that the law in England don't give pedestrians the right-of way, not even on road crossings.
I am still searching for that link but I remember I was amazed.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #7860
Spikespiegel
Used Registrant

Likes (Received): 27

In most European countries, the pedestrian would have the right of way.
Spikespiegel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways