daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #7861
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Guys a quick question.
Look here, rule 195:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070339

In a civilised country like the UK, you would expect pedestrians to have right of way.

But you need to be clear if there was a pedestrian crossing or not. If not, the responsibility lies with both the driver and the pedestrian and the rule of 'first come, first served' applies. If you were there first, the car must give way; otherwise you wait.

Quote:
... I turned around and angrily shouted "**** you ****" clearly showing my midle finger to him ...
Your command of English is improving in leaps and bounds.
With this kind of vocabulary at your disposal, you could pass off as a native Londoner at any time.

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; May 27th, 2010 at 03:06 PM.
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #7862
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Right, so that means according to the English law basically the one who is first has the right of way. The thing is that I was first because I was right in front of that car and not the other way around (i.e. his side doors were not in front of me when I stepped onto the street).

According to the essential logic, if I was in front of him, this means I was first on that road and all he had to do was to stop or slow down and let me finish going to the other side. Anyway, it should be somewhat more clear because to my best knowledge elsewhere in Europe it's rather simple: the pedestrian has the right of way and the car has to wait.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #7863
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

In the UK the car pretty much always has right of way, that's certainly what I was taught. However, I was also taught that you cannot go around running people over, so if someone steps out in front of you, you have to avoid them! There are lots of side junctions near me where nobody looks before crossing. You have to be patient, just because you have right of way doesn't mean you can't be courteous.
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #7864
Pansori
planquadrat

I know I acted a bit like a w-person myself but I just wonder on whose side the law was in its most literal meaning.
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #7865
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldiff View Post
In the UK the car pretty much always has right of way, that's certainly what I was taught.
Really?? That surprises me. I think of yielding to pedestrians as basic good manners. Of course, plenty of drivers apparently disagree....

The law in Pennsylvania:

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Pedestrian/web/laws.htm

New tougher law in New Jersey:

http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/pedestrian.html

In some states (Maine and Vermont at least), the pedestrian apparently has the right of way even between intersections. So much as step off the curb in the middle of the block in a town like Bennington, Vt., and traffic will come screeching to a halt.

New Jersey towns, over the last decade or two, have taken to putting up crosswalks in mid-block with little yield signs. I guess it would be little stop signs now.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #7866
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Phew, what an amazing derričre!
It's mesmerising and gives me narcolepsy!

But what is that darker patch in the middle?

Nah, original version with subtitles is always best, followed by proper professional dubbing.
Having a lector doing real-time translation is frustrating at times.

I agree. It's incredibly annoying hearing the lector as well as the original language playing in the background. A lot of the times I end up telling myself "Well that translation was wrong" and thinking of what it should have been instead of paying attention to what's happening.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #7867
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Surreal photos of southern Poland taken by Gorpol.

Old May 30th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #7868
Pansori
planquadrat

In the first photo almost looks like paddy fields.
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #7869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Last picture: opposite from Sandomierz? I think I recognize that plant from earlier pics.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A Halal truck in the Netherlands. You don't see many of these. Unfortunately, the truck was Dutch, not Saudi or something

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old May 31st, 2010, 09:36 PM   #7871
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

I passed my driving exam today so next Monday I'll officially be a fresh new driver BTW, all Estonian driving exams are done in Toyota Corollas. Not the best choice, IMO, but it was the only bid for the procurement.

The cars are rented by the Estonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre and all exams are recorded. One camera is facing the road while the other camera films the driver and the examiner. The latter one is to prevent bribing. Furthermore, the examiner is randomly chosen on the day of the exam.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:31 PM   #7872
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A Halal truck in the Netherlands. You don't see many of these. Unfortunately, the truck was Dutch, not Saudi or something
What`s "halal"?

according to wiki - Arabic:حلال ,ḥalāl; means lawful or legal

Last edited by seem; May 31st, 2010 at 11:10 PM.
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:37 PM   #7873
Vallex

Likes (Received): 0

deliver everything but pork
Vallex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:43 PM   #7874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's halal (ritual) slaughtered meat. It's also known as Dhabihah.
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:08 PM   #7875
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I passed my driving exam today so next Monday I'll officially be a fresh new driver
Congrats

Quote:
BTW, all Estonian driving exams are done in Toyota Corollas. Not the best choice, IMO, but it was the only bid for the procurement.
In Poland we use smaller B-class cars. The exact model varies between examination centres, but I think that Toyota Yaris, Opel Corsa and Fiat Punto are most common. I've done my course and exam on Yaris, no complaints there.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:04 AM   #7876
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Guys a quick question. A few days back I had a situation in London. It all happened in the city during the busy lunchtime.

[/URL]
The driver had priority according to UK law. You would only have priority if you were already crossing the road.

Edit, congratulations Rebasepoiss
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:22 AM   #7877
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
I passed my driving exam today so next Monday I'll officially be a fresh new driver BTW, all Estonian driving exams are done in Toyota Corollas. Not the best choice, IMO, but it was the only bid for the procurement.

The cars are rented by the Estonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre and all exams are recorded. One camera is facing the road while the other camera films the driver and the examiner. The latter one is to prevent bribing. Furthermore, the examiner is randomly chosen on the day of the exam.
First of all, congrats!

Recording the exams seems to be a good thing. Here in Hungary bribing is a big problem at getting a licence. Do you also learn on such Corollas or they are only for the exam? Here during the exam you drive the same car on which you learned driving. A great variety of cars are used, most of them are Suzuki Swift, Ignis, WagonR, Renault Thalia, Megane, Opel Astra, Corsa, VW Polo, Golf, Peugeot 206, 207, etc... There are some bigger cars, like Mercedes E-Class, the biggest one I've seen was a Land Rover Discovery
Btw I've learned to drive on an Opel Omega Caravan 2.5 TD, also a pretty big car, and I paid less for a lesson than my friend who learned on a Fiat Punto
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM   #7878
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13138

Quote:
Originally Posted by BND View Post
First of all, congrats!

Recording the exams seems to be a good thing. Here in Hungary bribing is a big problem at getting a licence. Do you also learn on such Corollas or they are only for the exam? Here during the exam you drive the same car on which you learned driving. A great variety of cars are used, most of them are Suzuki Swift, Ignis, WagonR, Renault Thalia, Megane, Opel Astra, Corsa, VW Polo, Golf, Peugeot 206, 207, etc... There are some bigger cars, like Mercedes E-Class, the biggest one I've seen was a Land Rover Discovery
Btw I've learned to drive on an Opel Omega Caravan 2.5 TD, also a pretty big car, and I paid less for a lesson than my friend who learned on a Fiat Punto

Congrats to Rebasepoiss!

You seem to be doing the exam in Hungary like we do in Bulgaria - on the car that you learned to drive. There is an idea to install cameras in the cars for the exams and some other changers in the law. Some driving teachers protested against it
Capt.Vimes está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7879
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I had the driving exam in the exact same vehicle as I learned driving in. It's better for people to use the same car they're used to, but on the other hand, it's important to know how to drive in different cars.

The first time I drove in a gasoline-powered car it looked like I was driving a car for the first time. I had driving lessons in a diesel-powered all the time, and gasoline is quite different with the clutch and all if you're not used to it.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7880
bogdymol
bogdymod

In Romania you take the exam in the car you learned how to drive. I had it 3 years ago in this Dacia SuperNova. Few months ago there was a discussion about mounting video cameras in the care while taking the exam, and even a GPS sistem. They made few tests with the cameras on some cars in Bucharest, but I haven't heard anything about that lately.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways