daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2010, 05:28 PM   #7881
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I had the driving exam in the exact same vehicle as I learned driving in. It's better for people to use the same car they're used to, but on the other hand, it's important to know how to drive in different cars.

The first time I drove in a gasoline-powered car it looked like I was driving a car for the first time. I had driving lessons in a diesel-powered all the time, and gasoline is quite different with the clutch and all if you're not used to it.
Same here, I learned and did my test in a diesel Mégane, but my first car was a petrol Suzuki and I used to over-rev all the time. I still drive a petrol car (I now have a Tigra) and sometimes drive a diesel Freelander in work and always have to adjust have much throttle I use when I change cars. It is better to do your test in the car you learned in and that is standard practice here in the UK. And I passed first time!
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM   #7882
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

i learned driving (and had exam) in brand new VW Golf IV
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19397

What's up with these kiddy-sized learning cars? I had a 307 SW, a full-size station wagon.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7884
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Money, money, money, money.
Polish driving schools' owners would go and kill anyone who'd decide that examination centres will use Avensises instead of Yarises. Centres may buy the cars at very low prices, but schools are forced to buy cars on normal market. And a school which use different cars than a local examination centre has little chances of surviving.

And, of course, there's a well established tradition of using small cars in driving schools. Remember that up to mid-90ties most exams were performed on these fellas:
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:51 PM   #7885
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
What's up with these kiddy-sized learning cars? I had a 307 SW, a full-size station wagon.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...7_SW_front.jpg
Many driving schools have Daewoo Matiz for practice in Romania:

I think that this tiny car is for laydies only

But you can also find this:

...or this:
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:55 PM   #7886
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2281

I learned and passed my exam with this BMW 118:
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 09:47 PM   #7887
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
And, of course, there's a well established tradition of using small cars in driving schools. Remember that up to mid-90ties most exams were performed on these fellas:
Poľský Fiat.

That`s how we usually call this car in Slovakia. Polish Fiat.

it`s nice but not more than this new one

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7888
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Seems that I'm really old here.

In 1996 I passed driving exam (and all previous learning hours) with Renault 19:
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7889
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

^ Lucky you . As far I can remember I passed my exam 10 years ago on an old Dacia looking like this one:

And no power steering involved.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:09 AM   #7890
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
I had the driving exam in the exact same vehicle as I learned driving in. It's better for people to use the same car they're used to, but on the other hand, it's important to know how to drive in different cars.
It used to be like that in Estonia too but since bribing was a big problem, they wanted to introduce cameras on the exam so special exam-vehicles where leased.
I personally learned to drive in a diesel-powered Opel Omega Caravan . It was quite a difference going from that to a Corolla with a rather small petrol engine.

I see that a lot of countries use very small learning cars. In Estonia it varies a lot. Practically everything from the size of a Toyota Yaris to a Toyota Avensis can be seen.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:15 AM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:38 AM   #7891
KHS

Likes (Received): 928

I was driving Renault Clio in driving school. I passed my driving exam in 2002., 3 months before I turned 18. It was the longest 3 months in my life. Ofcourse, I made my licence on my 18th birthday.
KHS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM   #7892
Capt.Vimes
Да живее България!

Likes (Received): 13158

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Seems that I'm really old here.

In 1996 I passed driving exam (and all previous learning hours) with Renault 19:

That's the first car I drove after I received my driving license (I learned on Peugeot 206). I have really good memories of it. My driving was waaay better than on the training and exams, more relaxed and the trip was really nice in that Renault 19 (which was green as on the pic )
Capt.Vimes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM   #7893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

My car had maintenance. I wasn't sure the timing belt was replaced before I bought the car (at 130.000 km), but I raised questions when I couldn't figure it out, nor could Renault Netherlands.

The timing belt is a vital section of an engine, it controls the valves, so I'm told. They usually have to be replaced every 100.000 - 120.000 kilometers. My car now has 170.000 kms on it and I just found out it was the first time the timing belt was replaced. Phew, if it snaps, your engine is totaled (so is your car usually (economically)). So it was replaced about 50.000 kilometers overdue. (2,5 years worth of driving).

Anyhow, I also did a regular 20.000 km service check, totaling € 650. Not too shabby, the Renault dealer was gonna charge me over € 1000...
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM   #7894
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

650?! i make general repair on my Punto with that money!
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:13 PM   #7895
bogdymol
bogdymod

And my father tought that 600 RON for a 20.000 km service check for a 1.5 dCi Renault Clio was too much...

1 € = 4,2 RON
600 RON = 143 €
Old June 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM   #7896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You should not forget they charge like € 50 per working hour in the Netherlands. The timing belt itself is not very expensive, but it takes like 5 - 6 hours to replace it (varies by vehicle). They also replaced the water pump (that is a very common thing to replace together with the timing belt).

edit: The € 650 figure includes both the timing belt and service check.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM   #7897
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

toyota rav4 (2007) - service check after 80000km = 350EUR in slovakia (and it's expensive)
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 07:47 PM   #7898
piotr71

I passed my test about...hmmm, a hundred years ago. Anyway, I was very lucky having an opportunity to learn driving with this beautiful rocket:
Quote:
After some time I decided to buy my own lorry so had to learn driving bigger stuff. A driving school chosen by me had this on its stock:
Quote:
It was very nice old machine with no power steering- my muscles got twice as much bigger and harder after driving that. It had unsynchronized manual transmission -changing gears required double declutching. Had no servo neither seat absorbers. Actually nothing worked properly in it, so I really had good fun using that "lorrrry".

Last edited by piotr71; June 2nd, 2010 at 08:12 PM.
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM   #7899
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
You should not forget they charge like € 50 per working hour in the Netherlands. The timing belt itself is not very expensive, but it takes like 5 - 6 hours to replace it (varies by vehicle). They also replaced the water pump (that is a very common thing to replace together with the timing belt).

edit: The € 650 figure includes both the timing belt and service check.
In Romania they charge about 50-60 RON per working hour. I have to mention that for the price I said earlier I had a full service check and recplacement of oil, oil filter, air filter etc. (what you usually change at 20.000 check).

piotr71: how many (hundreds of) years ago did you pass your driving test?
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:16 PM   #7900
piotr71

@ Bogdymol: Actually a bit less than hundred Cars 1990, trucks 1993.
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways