daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:17 PM   #7901
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
I passed my driving exam today so next Monday I'll officially be a fresh new driver BTW, all Estonian driving exams are done in Toyota Corollas. Not the best choice, IMO, but it was the only bid for the procurement.

The cars are rented by the Estonian Motor Vehicle Registration Centre and all exams are recorded. One camera is facing the road while the other camera films the driver and the examiner. The latter one is to prevent bribing. Furthermore, the examiner is randomly chosen on the day of the exam.
Congrats In Canada (like in the States) you are not obligated to take lessons, so you can do the exam on any car you want (such as the family car). However, in Toronto the most common car used by driving schools also seems to be the Corolla. I took a few lessons before my exams (in Ontario we have 2 driving exams) in a Corolla, and also did the exams in a Corolla as well.

Our family car is a relatively old (1998) Nissan Sentra, and it was a fairly straightforward move from the Corolla, since they are similarly-sized cars, although I find the Nissan to be more comfortable. I drove my friend's newer Corolla as well, and also didn't find it to be very comfortable (I found the front seat too tight, even though I'm not very tall).

Now, however, I'm looking to buy a car for myself. I hope I will buy very soon.

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #7902
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
My car had maintenance. I wasn't sure the timing belt was replaced before I bought the car (at 130.000 km), but I raised questions when I couldn't figure it out, nor could Renault Netherlands.

The timing belt is a vital section of an engine, it controls the valves, so I'm told. They usually have to be replaced every 100.000 - 120.000 kilometers. My car now has 170.000 kms on it and I just found out it was the first time the timing belt was replaced. Phew, if it snaps, your engine is totaled (so is your car usually (economically)). So it was replaced about 50.000 kilometers overdue. (2,5 years worth of driving).

Anyhow, I also did a regular 20.000 km service check, totaling € 650. Not too shabby, the Renault dealer was gonna charge me over € 1000...
I sold my old VW Golf and bought an Audi 80 1.6 (from '94), and I immediately took it to the mechanic to check it. As the car has 180000 km and the previous owner was not sure when the timing belt was changed, I had it changed too, but the mechanic said it was needless to replace the water pump.

The timing belt, 4 spark plugs, air filter, oil filter and oil cost 15000 HUF (around € 55), and I had to pay another 15000 HUF to the mechanic, so the whole thing cost me about € 110. I think it is a good price for all these things.
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:18 PM   #7903
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

When I bought my current Honda Accord (2000), it needed major service and it costed me about 700 €, which included changing all the filters, straps, liquids and repair of servo steering and about 5 days of work. Official Honda service wanted 2000€ for completely new steering mechanism - actually it was enough 200 € for changing broken O-seal (semering?). I bought necessary parts myself (non-original, but they still work excellent) and gave them to my personal mechanic. Making major service at Honda official dealer would cost me thousands.

Even if my car has now about 250.000 km, it works excellent, few thousand km trips (like last years Sicily) are no concern.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #7904
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I did a major re-organizing of Highways & Autobahns. Previously, there were 480 threads, now there are 273 left. Almost no posts were lost though, a lot of threads were merged. Before 2008 there was little to no moderation on Highways & Autobahns resulting in tons of duplicate threads. I had times that there were 10 - 15 threads about the exact same subject. I merged those. This also means some threads became (much) larger in post count. However, most threads merged did not had posts in the last year, so recent discussions are not messed up by the re-ordering of posts (which happens if you merge them).

On average, there are 380 posts per thread. This used to be around 120 posts per thread, mostly because I cleaned up a lot of duplicate threads with 1 - 50 posts. Highways & Autobahns is now the sub forum of Infrastructure & Mobility that has most posts, and least threads.

Current list of largest threads (excluding the roadside rest area)
[IMG]http://i50.************/2elt4i9.png[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:38 AM   #7905
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
Congrats In Canada (like in the States) you are not obligated to take lessons, so you can do the exam on any car you want (such as the family car). However, in Toronto the most common car used by driving schools also seems to be the Corolla. I took a few lessons before my exams (in Ontario we have 2 driving exams) in a Corolla, and also did the exams in a Corolla as well.

Our family car is a relatively old (1998) Nissan Sentra, and it was a fairly straightforward move from the Corolla, since they are similarly-sized cars, although I find the Nissan to be more comfortable. I drove my friend's newer Corolla as well, and also didn't find it to be very comfortable (I found the front seat too tight, even though I'm not very tall).

Now, however, I'm looking to buy a car for myself. I hope I will buy very soon.
Driving lessons aren't obligatory in the UK either, but they are in Portugal and in Portugal you pay for 25? lessons and the exam upfront (about €500) but in the UK you book individual lessons (most people do it).

In Portugal, there is a town called Elvas, near to the border and to Badajoz (in Spain); they closed the maternity in Elvas, so the ambulances take women in labour to Badajoz

Last edited by DanielFigFoz; June 4th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #7906
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Poland A4 (Photo by Vinnie_Emerald)

Old June 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #7907
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

WTF happened there??
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM   #7908
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

I took Friday off and made a 1300 kilometer roadtrip through Germany! Taking advantage of the good weather we have this weekend.

Goals were to clinch all of A38 and A39 and the B6 expressway. Another new section for me was A37 north of Hannover. It was also about 10 years ago the last time I was on A7 Kassel - Göttingen.

I spent the night near Goslar, at camping Kreuzeck, right in the middle of the Harz Mountains. I was previously in nearby Clausthal-Zellerfeld.

I did not encounter a single traffic jam, but I saw some congestion the other direction, most notably A14 near Leipzig and Halle.

Route:
[IMG]http://i49.************/2w1xw9e.jpg[/IMG]

Stats:
Distance: 1300 km
Driving time: Friday 8 hrs, Saturday 5.5 hrs
Fuel consumption: 74 liters or 17.1 km per liter
Fuel cost: ~€ 85 ($ 110)
CO2 emissions: 156 kg
Cruise speed: 130 - 140 km/h occasionally faster but never exceeding 160 km/h
Stops: Friday: 2 rest stops, 2 fuel stops, 1 dinner stop. Saturday: none
Camping: € 16 for 1 night (rather expensive for German standards)
Traffic jams: none
Highest altitude: ~ 600 m
Roadworks: ~14 times
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #7909
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

You should have gone a little further east and driven on the new section of A4 Jędrzychowice - Krzyżowa.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #7910
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 893

Portugal:
When you see it...
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:57 PM   #7911
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Chris. Take me with you next time. I'm so bored these days! lol.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #7912
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

I hope I won't get banned because of posting this, but it's funny:

Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #7913
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2268

Very smart.
RipleyLV no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:48 AM   #7914
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

And what should be on the other end of the tunnel? *******? That could do well for the "Extra safe" condoms.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #7915
bogdymol
bogdymod

Daughter: Mommy, mommy - what is that?

Dad: Close your eyes sweetheart. It's not for children.
Mom: (to Dad) I told you to take the other route, but you never listen me!!!
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #7916
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Daughter: Mommy, mommy - what is that?

Dad: Close your eyes sweetheart. It's not for children.
Mom: (to Dad) I told you to take the other route, but you never listen me!!!
Other tunnel?

OK, stop it
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #7917
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
Other tunnel?

OK, stop it
I didn't think about that. But good point
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #7918
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert View Post
I hope I won't get banned because of posting this, but it's funny:
Where exactly is this tunnel located? By this I mean the geographical location on the Earth's surface .
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #7919
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Where exactly is this tunnel located? By this I mean the geographical location on the Earth's surface .
On Mother Earth's surface?
Old June 8th, 2010, 12:34 AM   #7920
Qwert

Likes (Received): 2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
I don't know. I've found it somewhere on Facebook. Maybe I should post it to Guess the Highway thread.
Qwert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways