daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #8081
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Bad start of your vacation!
image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #8082
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I was also thinking about that..

anyway, Slavic people really can`t understand that, it`s totaly different from any Slavic language..
By the way, it's "Slavs" not "slaves." "Slaves" means...something else ("esclaves" in French, for example.)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #8083
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Do you also have a problem with GoogleEarth? For a few day now I cannot browse it fluently.
I thought it was just me. No matter if I browse from home or at work, the satellite images are so slow and sluggish to load. And then I'd get squares that would load fine and others that would say "No closer zoom available" even if i zoomed out like 10 times.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #8084
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

On my computer GE kept disappearing, even though I disabled auto-updates. Now I don't even bother anymore.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #8085
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
those cones seem so photoshoped, i don't know why
Old July 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #8086
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

I see what you mean, it looks like they're floating. But it's real

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 8th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8087
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
thats chinese stuff is crap. on amazon.fr is one for 19 € though. some cameras/camcorders even come with it out of the box.

lithuanians aren't slaves, right? so why are you pretty close? (correct me if I am wrong)
I've read reviews at DX and people weren't complaining about it.

I don't get that "slaves" note, so which of our nations are slaves?

they are pretty close nation, there is only poland between us and them, 550km by air

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I was also thinking about that..

anyway, Slavic people really can`t understand that, it`s totaly different from any Slavic language..
I thought they were slavic, but I was probably wrong. But by distance and postcommunistic culture they are still close nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
By the way, it's "Slavs" not "slaves." "Slaves" means...something else ("esclaves" in French, for example.)
so did I wrote it correctly that both of us nations are pretty close? or it was really hard to understand? sorry for my english then
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #8088
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aan View Post
so did I wrote it correctly that both of us nations are pretty close? or it was really hard to understand? sorry for my english then
My "Slavs not slaves" thing should have been addressed (I think) to another poster. The English word "Slavs" covers peoples like Poles, Czechs, Russians.... "Slaves" are unpaid forced laborers like you found in the Roman Empire, or in the Southern U.S. before the Civil War. Someone wrote "slaves" when he or she meant "Slavs." That's all. :-)

As I linguist, I know that the Slavic language family is considered to include: Polish, Sorbian, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Belorussian, Ukrainian and Russian. Lithuanian and Latvian are not part of that group but fairly closely related to it. Someone actually from central or eastern Europe would know better than I do about to how easy one of those languages is to understand for speakers of another. (My ancestors all came to the U.S. from Poland, so I used to hear a little Polish as a child. Tried to learn it, but didn't get far....)
Old July 8th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #8089
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
As I linguist, I know that the Slavic language family is considered to include: Polish, Sorbian, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Belorussian, Ukrainian and Russian. Lithuanian and Latvian are not part of that group but fairly closely related to it. Someone actually from central or eastern Europe would know better than I do about to how easy one of those languages is to understand for speakers of another. (My ancestors all came to the U.S. from Poland, so I used to hear a little Polish as a child. Tried to learn it, but didn't get far....)
Very interesting. Thanks.

Since you're a linguist I'm curious: isn't the way Nexis used the word 'ethnic' in his original post perfectly acceptable (and standard?) usage in American English, even if Lithuanians and Slovaks were in the same language family?
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #8090
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
My "Slavs not slaves" thing should have been addressed (I think) to another poster. The English word "Slavs" covers peoples like Poles, Czechs, Russians.... "Slaves" are unpaid forced laborers like you found in the Roman Empire, or in the Southern U.S. before the Civil War. Someone wrote "slaves" when he or she meant "Slavs." That's all. :-)
that was me!
hehe, sorry Seem, everybody poited at you.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #8091
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
Very interesting. Thanks.

Since you're a linguist I'm curious: isn't the way Nexis used the word 'ethnic' in his original post perfectly acceptable (and standard?) usage in American English, even if Lithuanians and Slovaks were in the same language family?
In the sense that Lithuanians and Slovaks are different "ethnic groups" or "ethnicities"? Yes. Perfectly normal. (But I don't want to set myself up as the language police here....)
Old July 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM   #8092
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
As I linguist, I know that the Slavic language family is considered to include: Polish, Sorbian, Czech, Slovak, Slovenian, Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Belorussian, Ukrainian and Russian. Lithuanian and Latvian are not part of that group but fairly closely related to it.
AFAIK there is an ongoing debate whether the Slavic and Baltic languages are related (i.e. descended from a ancient parent language). Nowadays they consist two separate language groups. They share some grammatical similarities (for example number and types of clauses), but there is absolutely no intelligibility between any Slavic and Baltic language.

An interesting thing about the word "Slavs": In various Slavic languages the term is Słowianie/Slované/Slaveni/Slovani/Славяне, and it comes from the word [i]slovo/słowo/слово, which means "a word" . So "the Slavs" can be understood as "those who understand words" or "those who speak our language".
In opposite, in several Slavic languages the word for "the Germans" is Niemcy/Němci/Nemci/Немцы, which comes from Niemy/немой/(ugh, I cannot find translation to other Slavic languages, but I assume it's the similar thing), meaning "a mute". So, the language clearly show that the past the main distinction between Germanic and Slavic people was the language - so the names of the proto-national groups are derived from "those who speak our language / Those who doesn't" issue.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #8093
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Why does it have to be upside-down?
It is much more stable that way. Legs fold around mirror holder so there is not enough place (not enough leg length) for having camera in right orientation. I tried to hold onto some parts of dashboard, but it is not stable in curves.

I use the cheapest model of Gorillapod for pocket cameras (I have Panasonic Lumix FT1/TS1, it records very nice HD movies, also under water), which costs around 18€ in camera shops here.

(sorry for late answer, currently I'm working 10-12 hours a day - finishing some big project - football in the evening, so there is not much time left for the net. Thank God, very long vacation starts for me in just 10 days )
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #8094
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:

It's quite simple really. If you speak any Slavic language you will easily comprehend any other. I speak Russian and therefore I can understand a very reasonable amount of Bulgarian (I have some Bulgarian friends and start teasing them in "Bulgarian" even though I can't speak it ) or Slovak (I know someone from Slovakia as well). Speaking Lithuanian, on the other hand, won't help much in understanding any Slavic language just as those who speak any Slavic language will find Lithuanian (or Latvian) to be from another planet without even a slight chance of understanding anything.

However, since most (especially those over 30) Lithuanians and Latvians can speak Russian (in some cases also Polish) it may give an impression that they are Slavs since they speak Slavic languages and their own language also sounds a bit like Slavic language (albeit only to those who can't speak/understand any of the mentioned).
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:05 AM   #8095
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

The smallest cloverleaf in the world!?

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=40.7013253...1&z=18&l=5&m=s
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:11 AM   #8096
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
In the sense that Lithuanians and Slovaks are different "ethnic groups" or "ethnicities"? Yes. Perfectly normal. (But I don't want to set myself up as the language police here....)
I mean't that , hmmmmmm different cultures.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #8097
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
The smallest cloverleaf in the world!?

http://wikimapia.org/#lat=40.7013253...1&z=18&l=5&m=s
It looks crippled
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #8098
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
In opposite, in several Slavic languages the word for "the Germans" is Niemcy/Němci/Nemci/Немцы, which comes from Niemy/немой/(ugh, I cannot find translation to other Slavic languages, but I assume it's the similar thing), meaning "a mute". So, the language clearly show that the past the main distinction between Germanic and Slavic people was the language - so the names of the proto-national groups are derived from "those who speak our language / Those who doesn't" issue.
haha, that's so true! we call Germans "Nemci", the word "nem" in slovenian means "mute" or a "person who cannot speak". Old Slavs really had some sense of humor!
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #8099
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
(But I don't want to set myself up as the language police here....)
that's why I asked you if my post was understandable :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
An interesting thing about the word "Slavs": In various Slavic languages the term is Słowianie/Slované/Slaveni/Slovani/Славяне, and it comes from the word [i]slovo/słowo/слово, which means "a word" . So "the Slavs" can be understood as "those who understand words" or "those who speak our language".
interested observation, never realized that, in Slovak language are Slavs called Slovania ("slova" means "words"), Germans are called Nemci (plural for "mute" is "nemi")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
It's quite simple really. If you speak any Slavic language you will easily comprehend any other. I speak Russian and therefore I can understand a very reasonable amount of Bulgarian (I have some Bulgarian friends and start teasing them in "Bulgarian" even though I can't speak it ) or Slovak (I know someone from Slovakia as well). Speaking Lithuanian, on the other hand, won't help much in understanding any Slavic language just as those who speak any Slavic language will find Lithuanian (or Latvian) to be from another planet without even a slight chance of understanding anything.
I wouldn't say is that easy, I can understand only czech without problems because we were in same republic and I was/am daily reading/watching czech books/movies and it's similar language, never had this experience with polish so I can't understand much from it, yes it's enough for basic conversation when other side doesn't speak any foreign language we would probably understand each other but with difficulties and not easily. Although I have never learned dutch I can understand it on similar level than other slavic languages because it looks like big mixture between german and english (which both I've learned).
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #8100
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
that was me!
hehe, sorry Seem, everybody poited at you.
I suddenly get it.

Quote:
interested observation, never realized that, in Slovak language are Slavs called Slovania ("slova" means "words"), Germans are called Nemci (plural for "mute" is "nemi")
"slová" is correct form

Quote:
I wouldn't say is that easy, I can understand only czech without problems because we were in same republic and I was/am daily reading/watching czech books/movies and it's similar language, never had this experience with polish so I can't understand much from it, yes it's enough for basic conversation when other side doesn't speak any foreign language we would probably understand each other but with difficulties and not easily. Although I have never learned dutch I can understand it on similar level than other slavic languages because it looks like big mixture between german and english (which both I've learned).
I have never been talking to someone who is from Slavic nation in another language as in Slovak.

I know, when you have to talk about some difficult topic it is better to use English or another international language. But, as you said, in basic conversation that wouldn`t be a problem. In my experience it is realy easy for Slovaks to have a conversation with Poles, Croats, Serbs (mostly same language as in Croatia), Czechs - grammar is very similar + we were in same republic for many years, I am watching Czech TV daily. Slovenian language was (is) influenced by Italian, so it is little bit harder to talk with they. But, when I am in this countries, I am always talking with people (in restaurants, streets etc.) in Slovak.

I mean, the most understandable language for us is (of course) Czech, Polish, Croatian + Serbian language.

if you have friends from that countries, or you go on vacation to this countries every year.. it should be pretty easy for you to understand everything..

So, cheers brothers!

I`d like to learn these languages more..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways