daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 29th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #8261
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldiff View Post
I need to ask - is SSC XL not working? I'm surfing in work because I have no internet at home at the moment and the rate the banner and other pages won't load at all. It could just be my shoddy work network though.
No, it's not your network. It won't load on my computer as well.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2010, 01:07 AM   #8262
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 894

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/a...JPG?1280320653

Very interesting picture. Where has it been taken, by the way?
As I forgot to say, it came from a link from a Skybar thread, "America in Colour in the 1930's and 1940s

http://denverpost.slideshowpro.com/a...6/album-125171

That should be the link
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #8263
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

that would be very funny for Italians..

one village in Southern Slovakia

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8264
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

hey guys,

I'm going to Slovenia (from Paris) tomorrow or on Monday. when should I be driving trough Germany on A8 to avoid traffic jams?

I am thinking of taking this route: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,21.555176&z=6

would you change something?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:28 PM   #8265
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Sunday shouldn't be too big a problem, but Monday is even better. The route seems alright.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:35 PM   #8266
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

thanks.. best german site for traffic is adac.de right? For austrian tauern autobahn I am not worried too much, as I will reach it in the late evening.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:12 PM   #8267
Aan
Beijing, China

Likes (Received): 197

Harrods owners’ supercars clamped outside store

More info
http://swns.com/qatari-royal-family’...ds-290937.html
Aan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:02 PM   #8268
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Since there are so many Dutch-speakers here...
is there a good Dutch-English on line dictionary? Was fumbling through an article from De Standaard the other evening on the Belgian political situation and it would have come in handy.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:06 PM   #8269
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I use Google Translate in such situations. I translate a lot from Polish and Hungarian to English. (I don't translate to Dutch as those Polish - Dutch translations tend to be worse than Polish - English translations).

http://translate.google.com
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:14 PM   #8270
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Speaking of Dutch , yesterday my train was full of Dutch , German , and Portuguese tourists. My Train was empty till we got to the airport station then all these Euros filled it. It was interesting...........a few Germans sat next to me , i never noticed it but there language has alot of English in it.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:23 PM   #8271
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I use Google Translate in such situations. I translate a lot from Polish and Hungarian to English. (I don't translate to Dutch as those Polish - Dutch translations tend to be worse than Polish - English translations).

http://translate.google.com
Well, I've seen some computer translations and they can be awful, so I never use Google Translate. And I was getting the gist of the article, but there were enough individual words and expressions I didn't know that I was having trouble here and there. www.wordreference.com permits you to translate words - I use it for English/French. But it doesn't do Dutch. Or didn't the last time I checked. Will Google Translate do individual words or just entire texts?
Do you actually know Polish and Hungarian? If so, that's impressive. I took a semester (a half-year, in American universities) of Polish, because that's where my ancestors were from, and after about a month all the words started to look a like. This was the fall after I'd spent a summer taking courses in France, where the students weren't French-speakers but other foreigners, so it was more a multilingual experience than a French one, I was in advanced French and German, learning Dutch on my own, trying to correspond in Italian with someone from Italy I'd met in France....I think I'd reached my limit for new vocabulary. Or else it was that Polish was different enough from all those Germanic and Romance languages that...well, at some point I discovered that for me Dutch and German actually reinforced each other. Polish was too far off of anything already in my repertoire to do that.
Old August 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM   #8272
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Speaking of Dutch , yesterday my train was full of Dutch , German , and Portuguese tourists. My Train was empty till we got to the airport station then all these Euros filled it. It was interesting...........a few Germans sat next to me , i never noticed it but there language has alot of English in it.
I've been e-mailing state tourism agencies to collect maps (don't tell them I'm unlikedly to visit most of their states this year!) and I've noticed some interesting language choices. Either New York or Connecticut (I forget which) has French and German versions of its website, but no Spanish. Which is odd on this side of the Atlantic. And Massachusetts offers about six languages, including Dutch.
Old August 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM   #8273
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

They <3 SSC at this rest area too, on the A7 (or A26) in Italy
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM   #8274
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Dutch is closer to English than German. But Frisian, a language spoken by some people in the relatively empty Frisland province, is even closer to English I'd say (not that I'm good with neither language - I'm learning Nederlands but have no planes to venturing on Frisian, save for my trips to the islands up there).

============================

I just read this small note from the Dutch news:

Police near the central Dutch town of Abcoude arrested a 26-year-old Amsterdam man on Saturday afternoon for driving at 210 kilometres per hour: twice the legal limit on that particular stretch of the A2, one of the busiest motorways in the country.

The man, who was heading home, was travelling without a driver’s licence. That had been confiscated in April after he was caught driving at 170 kilometres an hour in a 70 kph zone on the A4 motorway.

The police have now confiscated his car.

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

This is what I call "need for speed" (though I find the 70 km/h ridiculous there, it should be 90 or 100).
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM   #8275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

70 km/h on A4 was probably a work zone. The 100 km/h on the 10-lane rural A2 is ridiculous though.

By the way, you don't need to know Frisian to visit Friesland or the islands. They speak Dutch as well.
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM   #8276
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
By the way, you don't need to know Frisian to visit Friesland or the islands. They speak Dutch as well.
haha I know. I've been there three times - in Terschelling, in Leeuwarden and in (or over?) the Aflusdijk.

I even visited the Dutch leaning tower on the second city.

The whole country is full of water, but it seems there are more lakes there. Nice countryside btw.

Old August 1st, 2010, 10:00 PM   #8277
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Dutch is closer to English than German. But Frisian, a language spoken by some people in the relatively empty Frisland province, is even closer to English I'd say (not that I'm good with neither language - I'm learning Nederlands but have no planes to venturing on Frisian, save for my trips to the islands up there).
This is a clip from a TV programme called Mongrel Nation. A tongue-in-cheek look at our history by comedian Eddie Izzard.

Last edited by Fatfield; August 1st, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:54 PM   #8278
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

============================

I just read this small note from the Dutch news:

Police near the central Dutch town of Abcoude arrested a 26-year-old Amsterdam man on Saturday afternoon for driving at 210 kilometres per hour: twice the legal limit on that particular stretch of the A2, one of the busiest motorways in the country.

The man, who was heading home, was travelling without a driver’s licence. That had been confiscated in April after he was caught driving at 170 kilometres an hour in a 70 kph zone on the A4 motorway.

The police have now confiscated his car.

© Radio Netherlands Worldwide

This is what I call "need for speed" (though I find the 70 km/h ridiculous there, it should be 90 or 100).
Idk about that , Dutch sounds like a made up language. I understand German more.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:55 AM   #8279
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Idk about that , Dutch sounds like a made up language. I understand German more.
People in Hungary say Dutch language was created by drunk German sailors that tried to speak English ;-)
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:09 AM   #8280
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch is almost impossible to pronounce correctly for a non-native speaker, especially "sch", "r" and "g".

Tags
highways, motorways