daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #8321
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21236

This scenario remind me of older pictures from Brazil. Until the late 80's, it was common to clear new agricultural land (and also preparing sugar cane for harvest) by setting the forest/field on fire.

Now, thank God, they harvest sugar cane with machines and barely use fire to clear forest for new agricultural uses, as they learned (!) that massive fires deplete land of critical nutrients for a handful of years.

Then we don't see widespread acrid smoke anymore, at least not as a widespread phenomena it once was in Brazil.

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #8322
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Hello from Dar es Salaam in Tanzania. Still alive after all those bumpy roads and crazy drivers. Still having to cover more than 2000 km before leaving Africa from Lusaka, Zambia. Roads are in much worse conditions than expected, but they do have a stunning surrounding scenery to offer.
I read that busses in Zambia fly with 160 kph. You will get report at the end of month. If I survive

Buses go with divine help.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #8323
bogdymol
bogdymod

Why does that bus have that steel front bumper? Are there so high chances to hit something/someone?
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #8324
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why does that bus have that steel front bumper? Are there so high chances to hit something/someone?
probably to successfully mince hyenas, gnus, zebras and crocodiles without to much damage
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM   #8325
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
probably to successfully mince hyenas, gnus, zebras and crocodiles without to much damage
I was thinking about that. But I don't think that that bumper would take a crocodile at 100 km/h.
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #8326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19378

We congratulate Ni3ls with getting his driver's license!
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #8327
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Congratulations Ni3çs, is that in NL or in the US?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #8328
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3441

Hah thanks It's over here in the Netherlands. US would've been easier but not a possibility
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #8329
bogdymol
bogdymod

Good job Ni3lS !

How is the exam in NL? 1 teoretical exam + 1 practical?
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:58 PM   #8330
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Hah thanks It's over here in the Netherlands. US would've been easier but not a possibility
Congratulations, pal! Cruising around on your own is a fresh bit of freedom
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #8331
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

Congratulations, I also got mine, but on 29th of July. Next week we will go to Austria and I will drive the hungarian part of the route, ut only that part, because it's prohibited to drive in foreign countries under the age 18. But maybe next year

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #8332
Ni3lS

Quote:
Good job Ni3lS !

How is the exam in NL? 1 teoretical exam + 1 practical?
Yea. I was lucky with the 'special assignments'. I had to do the 'stop assignment'. Which means stopping in front of something or a parked car on the side of the road. Then drive away. And I had to park at a supermarket which was pretty easy. I asked the guy if he cared where I parked. He was like: no you can park wherever you want. Alright sir let's go straight forward. I didn't even had to touch the steer. I could park the car straightforward into a parkingspot. Highway driving went well. It was kinda busy on the roads but I did fine. It went by pretty fast.

I kinda keep my streak going here. I never ever failed any kind of exam. Not my school, high school, drivers license and so on

Thanks for the congrats guys
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #8333
Ni3lS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falusi View Post
Congratulations, I also got mine, but on 29th of July. Next week we will go to Austria and I will drive the hungarian part of the route, ut only that part, because it's prohibited to drive in foreign countries under the age 18. But maybe next year
That's too bad. Have fun driving in your country anyway! I don't wanna make you jealous but I get to drive in France next week I'm going on vacation on saturday.
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #8334
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Congratulations Falusi! You can drive in H, D, UK, IRL and Iceland now isn't it?
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #8335
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Yea. I was lucky with the 'special assignments'. I had to do the 'stop assignment'. Which means stopping in front of something or a parked car on the side of the road. Then drive away. And I had to park at a supermarket which was pretty easy. I asked the guy if he cared where I parked. He was like: no you can park wherever you want. Alright sir let's go straight forward. I didn't even had to touch the steer. I could park the car straightforward into a parkingspot. Highway driving went well. It was kinda busy on the roads but I did fine. It went by pretty fast.

I kinda keep my streak going here. I never ever failed any kind of exam. Not my school, high school, drivers license and so on

Thanks for the congrats guys
When you said highway you ment 1+1 road or 2+2 motorway? In Romania is forbiden to drive on the motorway (you would probably ask what motorway?) untill you get your licence. So no driving on the motorway while learning to drive or having an exam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falusi View Post
I drove in Hungary one month after I got my licence. And the police stopped me. My girlfriend was so scared when she saw that I am beeing stopped, but the officer just checked my papers and let me go away.
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #8336
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
When you said highway you ment 1+1 road or 2+2 motorway? In Romania is forbiden to drive on the motorway (you would probably ask what motorway?) untill you get your licence. So no driving on the motorway while learning to drive or having an exam.
Btw, how many km of motorways do you have?

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:24 PM   #8337
bogdymol
bogdymod

A little bit more than 300. 306 I think is the exact number.

The closest Romanian motorway from my hometown of Arad, Romania is A3 at 290 km. A1 is at 440 km. But right now is u/c Arad bypass and Arad-Timisoara motorways, but if I want just to drive on a motorway I would better go to Hungary (100 km and I'm on M43).
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #8338
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
A little bit more than 300. 306 I think is the exact number.

The closest Romanian motorway from my hometown of Arad, Romania is A3 at 290 km. A1 is at 440 km. But right now is u/c Arad bypass and Arad-Timisoara motorways, but if I want just to drive on a motorway I would better go to Hungary (100 km and I'm on M43).
100 km to M43 (not M5? I can`t see M43 on a map, just highway) and then 150 km to Budapest driving on a motorway.

When I am going to Budapest I am using just 20 km of a motorway and 50 km of half profile motorway. It`s 230 km. So better for you.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #8339
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
100 km to M43 (not M5? I can`t see M43 on a map, just highway) and then 150 km to Budapest driving on a motorway.

When I am going to Budapest I am using just 20 km of a motorway and 50 km of half profile motorway. It`s 230 km. So better for you.
M43 is at 111 km from Arad. Now M43 has just 3 km, but when it will be completed untill Mako (maybe in September), I will have to drive just 70 km.
Old August 13th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #8340
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

Thank you Ni3lS and DanielFigFoz.
Ni3lS have fun in France.
At the document office they told me that I'm allowed to drive only in H.

btw, the closest motorway to me is M5, 14 km. The only bad thing about this is the M0-51 interchange, only 100 m accelerating lane and 80 000+ AADT.

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways