daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #8401
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

A week ago I was in Bruck an der Großglocknerstraße in Austria, it's altitude is also ~700 metres. Exceptionally we had great weather, often over 25°C. And of course I will post some pics about Großglockner Hochalpenstraße.(when I will have some free storage on Flickr)

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #8402
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

I'm back from France and did a lot of driving there. I have my license for 2 weeks now. I drove the first part on the way to southwest France. From my home to Breda (Belgian border). 200+ km's. Then I drove from Tours to Lacanau. About 350kms or more. I think I drove about 1000 to 1500 k's in the past 2 weeks so I got some driving experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsue View Post
Hey everyone, I have a question that maybe someone here is able to answer. I'm thinking of buying a new car abroad and then importing it. I've understood that in countries that levy a lot of taxes on new cars retailers need to keep prices down in order to keep the end prices not to excessive. So my question is which EU-15 country (except the UK and Ireland, for obvious reasons) has the lowest price of a new car, cleared of taxes and fees that I only need to pay in the country of import? Denmark?

I think this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm not sure on which page.
Funny because I was just looking at that too. But just to 'look at' because I can't afford a car right now. I suggest you have a look on mobile.de. You can change the language into english or whatever you like. It's a vehicle database. Mostly cars in German because they are cheap and stuff but also mostly Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic and more.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #8403
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm in Brig, Switzerland right now. Unfortunately, it will snow tonight at elevations over 1500 meters. I don't have chains or winter tires so I will postpone my plan to clinch some high Alpine passes. My campsite is at 700 meters, so I expect a cold night.
If temperatures tomorrow are above 4, you don't have to worry at all.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #8404
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
I'm in Brig, Switzerland right now. Unfortunately, it will snow tonight at elevations over 1500 meters. I don't have chains or winter tires so I will postpone my plan to clinch some high Alpine passes. My campsite is at 700 meters, so I expect a cold night.
I heard there could be tepm of -2 over 2500 m in Slovakia.

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 02:42 AM   #8405
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
I'm in Brig
I was hoping for an outright Ban bat that's still better than nothing.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #8406
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
Funny because I was just looking at that too. But just to 'look at' because I can't afford a car right now. I suggest you have a look on mobile.de. You can change the language into english or whatever you like. It's a vehicle database. Mostly cars in German because they are cheap and stuff but also mostly Belgium, Poland, Czech Republic and more.
The problem with mobile.de is that it doesn't cover Denmark, who after more research I've found have a lower net price because of their vehicle registration tax. There is a service at the Danish tax office's webpage that calculates how much this tax is for any given value of a car, and for a car that costs 300 000 DKK at the retailer a whopping 171696 DKK is this vehicle registration tax. One thing I'm unsure of though is if the VAT is included in this number because VAT is levied on the net price + registration tax.

The reason I'm not aiming for Germany, which has a large market of used cars, is that I'm looking to buy a new car and exporting it outside the EU. This would make a Danish car the without doubt most attractive one. But I've also read that Danish retailers don't like to sell new cars to foreigners, and that getting export plates is a bit hard.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:46 PM   #8407
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

This morning they closed highest alpine road in Slovenia because of snow. Funny thing is, according to radio announcer, who talked with mountain hut administrator there, there is no snow, even one snowflake. But road is still officially closed.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #8408
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
This morning they closed highest alpine road in Slovenia because of snow. Funny thing is, according to radio announcer, who talked with mountain hut administrator there, there is no snow, even one snowflake. But road is still officially closed.

So there must be a real, unofficial reason. Can you guess what is it?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM   #8409
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

They close it "just in case" (this wouldn't be something new for that road). Actually now there is some small amount of snow there (maybe 1 cm), but no problem with normal tires.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #8410
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

The Furka Pass in Switzerland is closed today due to snow. Nufenen and Gotthard Passes are snow-covered. However, things are bound to improve tomorrow. Lots of sunshine and higher temperatures.

My current view from the McDonalds parking lot in Brig: These mountains are not much higher than 2200 m.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #8411
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

delete
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:32 PM   #8412
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

There are LHD cars in the UK that were bought in France, as cars there are cheaper.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #8413
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I was hoping for an outright Ban bat that's still better than nothing.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:57 AM   #8414
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
There is first snow in Slovakia this year in more than 2200 m.

Slovak article but I hope you will understand it - http://korzar.sme.sk/c/5526847/v-naj...-uz-snezi.html

Old August 31st, 2010, 12:59 PM   #8415
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

ZOMG look at this huge Monster in the Caribbean , its going to Skim the NYC Region and hit New England / Nova Socita.....but on one of the busiest holiday weekends in the US. Hopefully later tommorrow will know if it will make a more eastward push. A Cold Front will keep it form directly hitting NYC.

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #8416
Morsue

Likes (Received): 46

I heard that hurricane already got its own tv-show.
Morsue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 03:53 PM   #8417
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
I'm in Brig, Switzerland
You should have wrote "I'm in THE Brig" . Hope next year you will be in Banned .

About the hurricane... What name will be the next? Frances was retired six years ago, as far as I know.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM   #8418
seem
Mornar bez mora

So, the first Slovak snow, taken on Skalnaté pleso ( 1754m, so not so high) by topky.sk

Old August 31st, 2010, 08:39 PM   #8419
seem
Mornar bez mora

I bet you heard something about that - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11129844

there is a mistake - it was 8 dead and 15 injured

Quote:
A gunman has opened fire in Slovakia's capital, killing seven people and injuring 14 others before shooting himself dead, police say.

Four women and a man, thought to be members of the same family, were killed in a flat in the Devinska Nova Ves district of Bratislava.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11131759

Old August 31st, 2010, 10:13 PM   #8420
bogdymol
bogdymod

Something is wrong with google
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways