daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 4th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #8721
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Looks like Baranec.

No problem for "spamming", but it is very usual for snow to reach not-very-high peaks in October, even earlier. Actually I'm waiting for some early winter hikings in mountains, they are the easiest in whole winter if there is not much snow (up to 20-25 cm).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #8722
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Looks like Baranec.

No problem for "spamming", but it is very usual for snow to reach not-very-high peaks in October, even earlier. Actually I'm waiting for some early winter hikings in mountains, they are the easiest in whole winter if there is not much snow (up to 20-25 cm).
Well, it`s true. I just haven`t realised it cos I am not so much in mountains.

So, guys you know Tatras (Tatry) better than me.: )

(cos I know just the most famous places )

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #8723
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
So, guys you know Tatras (Tatry) better than me.: )
Google Earth is my friend

Although I already was skiing there some years ago (I was living very close to Liptovsky Mikulaš).
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8724
Majestic
Systematic Chaos

Likes (Received): 26

OMG, unbelievable:

http://news.yahoo.com/nphotos/Red-sl...033fd01f9b9927
Majestic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #8725
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

yes, terrible, the sludge washed away everything:

BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #8726
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Wow, what a disaster. Imagine a flood... but not of water, but of poison!
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #8727
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

sad news...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Still, even with high coverage, the PT system accounts for less than 22% (13% train, 9% buses/trams/subways) of all motorized trips in NL. Still, the roads used for the other 78% of trips are underfunded. And the Dutch concentrate traffic on motorways as a matter of policy, avoiding the use of rural roads as relief routes or alternative shourtcuts in case of congestion.
This is quite a myth, or at least need explanation.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modal_share or http://www.unil.ch/webdav/site/ouvdd...%20Haefeli.pdf

However I may agree with building or widening roads were it is really the best option.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #8728
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

You're seriously comparing the Dutch modal share with the modal share of a city, trips to work only? Apples and oranges.

There are two flaws in that comparison;

1) You're comparing a nationwide statistic provided by suburbanist with that of a few large cities.
2) You're comparing all types of trips with trips to work only.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #8729
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

It's not a good comparison, I know, but Suburbanist's replies on the rail forum are not that different regarding precision (actually he's proposing to destroy rail transport reducing its modal share but increasing money proportionally spent on it).

A more logic discussion would be about the reason of the predominance of the road (bad planification? bat public/rail transport? real advantages using roads?), about the madness of the ever-growing useless transports (like Evian water sold to Italy and San Pellegrino transported to France), about...

I'm not against motorways themselves, but against the idea that they are the only option and that the recent enormous growth of transport is sustainable (this may also be valid for other means of transport as well).

That is, I agree with you when you write that Romania needs more motorways...but not when someone write that Netherlands' transport problems can be solved only by widening motorways to 16 lanes.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #8730
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

First I just want to say, that the internet really works in the "trein" hooray. Just went through Zwolle now.... It must be something new in last months, I did not experience it here before... so great.

About the road versus rail question.

There are several things. The haul traffic and passanger traffic difference. The difference in density of road versus rail connection. The comfort of transport/travelling. The real costs per km... etc.

Historically is train older way of transport than a personal car, however I wouldnt send the train transport away. In fact I would say, that in the future we will see some sort of hybrid between train and personal car... that means between public and personal transport as well. This will be conditioned by the simple fact that the fossil fuels used for now a days personal transport will be inevitably gone in some 50 - 90 years.

A future car (as well as economy) will be fully depending on the electric form of energy... be it made and stored in any way.

Electric car will offer completaly new design and form of personal transport. We will be able to create small personal car units, which can use normal roads. On the longer distance these units will joint on some sort of rail platform. These platforms will be in the same time able to cross long distances in high speeds and to charge these small personal transport units. Once in given destination the unit will disconnect from the train and reach the final destination on its own. This system would combine the the advantages and exclude disadvantages of both transport mechanisms (electric car and train). The infrastructure costs will be horrendous. However, the infrastructure costs of leaving fossile fuels will be horrendous anyway...

About the dutch issue.. It is not possible to force people to use the train. They have to find it more comfortable and usefull than to use a car. Train has many disadvantages compared to car (no baggage, no business transportation possibility, no way to reach remote areas, hard schedulle - no flexibility, etc), it has some advantages (heavy hauling on long distance, not being occupied with the transport itself thus reading, studying, computer work, ergonomic comfortability, speed on long distance). I would say that in the NL the trains rather well uses the advantages, since they are used mainly by students and city work commuters) someome who has to visit school or office doesnt have to go with a car, if his destination is in proximity to the station. However suburbia prefers the car as well as short distance commuting or small business. Family trips, shopping etc. is done in car from understandable reasons (have you ever seen someone buying furniture in Ikea and taking it home in train???? ). In NL is rather extensive water connection network, thus the heavy hauling is done through the waterways = no need for the trains here, and it is rather small country thus a truck is much much faster then a train.

It would be for me rather interesting to learn about the history of train construction in NL, since the network is not very dense... I would guess that there was not so high historical need for trains because of the existing waterways. Or am I wrong and many tracks were dismantled?

Compared with the Czech Republic where is one of the most densed railway networks due to the historical reasons of need of fast and realiable connection in 19 century, the dutch network makes much more sense and serves much better in hte means of personal transport. The heavy hauling is in CZ naturally much higher on the rails.

Personally I love the trains much more than cars, however that doesnt mean, that I dont prefer a car in my daily wherebouts.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 08:10 PM   #8731
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Nice way to park your moped...

Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #8732
seem
Mornar bez mora

Poor Hungarians

more pics - http://www.sme.sk/c/5582068/cervene-...devecsere.html

Old October 7th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #8733
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Chernobyl II.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #8734
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Yes, the villages will not be rebuild. The ground is toxic for decades to come....
Today it has reached the Dunabe river :sad: Hundreds of dead fish are reported on rivers that feed the Dunabe!
Old October 7th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #8735
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Never again (Nunca mais, as they say in Galician).
BTW, the sad face is :(
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #8736
AlexisMD

Likes (Received): 677

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
Yes, the villages will not be rebuild.
any official information on that ?
AlexisMD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 02:35 AM   #8737
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

This is very sad indeed. And no offense, but Hungary wants to join the EU? Or is already in it, you never know these days
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 04:22 AM   #8738
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

http://europa.eu/
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #8739
seem
Mornar bez mora

That`s it what is life all about in Western Europe. Just reminding people how great life they are living and no information about other countries than France, Germany and sometimes Italy. i have realised that till I am in UK. Most of news are mainly about these countries and mostly about ex-countries of UK empire.

Old October 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #8740
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni3lS View Post
This is very sad indeed. And no offense, but Hungary wants to join the EU? Or is already in it, you never know these days
Are you serious? Hungary has been an EU member for the last 6 years.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways