daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #9461
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

These steel cantilever bridges are highly uncommon in Europe. You can see them a lot in the United States across major rivers.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #9462
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3438

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
The new Danube bridges were opened in 1987 and are still in use. The old ones (from 1895) were 'retired' after the opening of the new ones.
have both of them been opened in motorway profile in 1987? on Google Earth at Çernavoda bridge it seems that one half is under construction (and photo is from 2005). could you give us chronological view of development of those bridges (when and what was built)
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #9463
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
LOL, I read "Green Farty"

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #9464
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
have both of them been opened in motorway profile in 1987? on Google Earth at Çernavoda bridge it seems that one half is under construction (and photo is from 2005). could you give us chronological view of development of those bridges (when and what was built)
1895 - Old railway bridges at Fetesti & Cernavoda were opened
1987 - New motorway + railway bridges were opened
2012 - Cernavoda - Constanta motorway will be opened (right now the A2 motorway goes from Bucharest to Cernavoda - as shown on google maps)
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #9465
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
LOL, I read "Green Farty"
Yeah, I also read it as "Farty".

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #9466
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1936

I'm seeking the Chris' clinched highways and I saw that I have clinched all Spanish national motorways he clinched (And a lot more). Chris, you forgot to add "Lle" after A2 . And you should have go on the A-2 all the way from Lerida to Barcelona, it's more straight than AP-2, and it's free! It was completed by 2005, when you went to Spain (And into my province )

PS: Damn it! I haven't clinched the B-20 and the northernmost part of B-10 and he has!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #9467
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
1895 - Old railway bridges at Fetesti & Cernavoda were opened
1987 - New motorway + railway bridges were opened
2012 - Cernavoda - Constanta motorway will be opened (right now the A2 motorway goes from Bucharest to Cernavoda - as shown on google maps)
so it must be some renovation works on northern Cernavodă bridge (eastern access on it) on Google Earth, it is obvious that traffis is flowing there only on southern bridge.
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #9468
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
so it must be some renovation works on northern Cernavodă bridge (eastern access on it) on Google Earth, it is obvious that traffis is flowing there only on southern bridge.
I am not sure that I understand what are you trying to say. Which bridge do you think is on renovation works?

PS: I will only be able to reply tomorrow evening.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 06:43 PM   #9469
Falusi
hanzi13

Likes (Received): 192

I think I found your answer:

from wikipedia: In October 1987, the 17,2 km segment Feteşti - Cernavodă was opened for traffic. The segment was closed for traffic again in September 2006 for complete rebuilding and reopened in 2007.

The satellite image could be from that time.

Anyway formerly I also taught that the norther carriageway was opened lately

Highways clinched by me
A AND BIH C CH CZ D E F FL GR H HKJ HR I MC MK RO PL SK SLO SRB T UAE
doing MSc in Mechanical Engineering
Falusi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM   #9470
x-type
con los terroristas

Quote:
I am not sure that I understand what are you trying to say. Which bridge do you think is on renovation works?

PS: I will only be able to reply tomorrow evening.

here

you can see obvious road works, Falusi probably gave correct answer.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #9471
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
How many examples of motorways and railways running parallel(rails are side by side or in the middle) to each other you can you give? I know there are in Belguim.
This is common in Germany for new (high-speed) railways:
- A3 Cologne – Frankfurt: Cologne–Frankfurt high-speed rail line
- A9 Nuremberg – Ingolstadt: Nuremberg–Munich high-speed railway
- A14 Leipzig: part of Erfurt–Leipzig/Halle high-speed railway

under construction:
- A71 south of Erfurt and A73 near Coburg: parts of Nuremberg–Erfurt high-speed railway

in planning:
- A5 / A67 Frankfurt – Mannheim: Frankfurt–Mannheim high-speed railway
- A8 Stuttgart - Ulm: Stuttgart 21 + Wendlingen–Ulm high-speed railway

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhirgataZFs1694 View Post
Which is the most "hilly/mountainous" example you can give where this solution was chosen?
Definately the Cologne–Frankfurt high-speed rail line along the A3. Maximum speed is 300 km/h (186 mph) and the maximum grade is 4.0%, so this line is the second steepest main railway in Germany and the steepest high-speed rail line in the world.

That's why this is sometimes called "Westerwaldachterbahn" (Westerwald roller coaster) or "the fastest roller coaster in the world".
ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #9472
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

I remember the train running in the middle of the motorway when travelling from Schiphol Airport to Amsterdam Centraal Station, it must had been here:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=5...27874&t=h&z=16

The train was faster than the cars on the motorway
BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #9473
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Do you know any other example of railway running in the middle of a main road (at least a 2x2)?

Maybe there are some examples in Chicago area?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #9474
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes the Kennedy Expressway in Chicago has a subway line running through the median (I-90/I-94). Another example is the Interstate 105 in Los Angeles. In Germany, an S-bahn runs through the median of A40 in Essen.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #9475
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I think it is a very smart setup, in order to limit the usage of space, in those cases you're sure you'll never have to add new tracks.

I can see many pros: what are the cons I'm not considering?

Old January 30th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #9476
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are a few downsides, freeways almost never directly punch the central core of a city, so a railway station in the median will be outside the main central business district. Another issue is that connecting infrastructure (bus terminals, P+R connecting stations) cannot be constructed very close to the rail station. Another disadvantage is that it may restrict freeway and/or rail expansion, unless there is a large ROW available on the side, which is often not the case. Accessibility for emergency services or repair crews may also be a problem.
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #9477
waddler
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
These steel cantilever bridges are highly uncommon in Europe. You can see them a lot in the United States across major rivers.
+1
I always liked those bridges cause they gave a U.S. like feeling when you drove past them.
waddler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM   #9478
Wilhem275
The Transporter

@Chris: Sorry, I didn't gave enough details: I was thinking about a freight line, with no stops at all. Something like the Betuweroute.

What is ROW?

Old January 30th, 2011, 10:57 PM   #9479
ChrisZwolle
Road user

ROW = Right of way, basically the land that is under the administration of the highway or transportation agency. If you plan ahead, you have a ROW that is wider than the freeway itself, then you don't need to acquire new land if you want to widen the freeway. This can be done using wider than necessary medians, or large unpaved shoulders. This will save a considerable amount of money later.
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #9480
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17036

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABRob View Post
This is common in Germany for new (high-speed) railways:
- A3 Cologne – Frankfurt: Cologne–Frankfurt high-speed rail line
- A9 Nuremberg – Ingolstadt: Nuremberg–Munich high-speed railway
- A14 Leipzig: part of Erfurt–Leipzig/Halle high-speed railway

under construction:
- A71 south of Erfurt and A73 near Coburg: parts of Nuremberg–Erfurt high-speed railway

in planning:
- A5 / A67 Frankfurt – Mannheim: Frankfurt–Mannheim high-speed railway
- A8 Stuttgart - Ulm: Stuttgart 21 + Wendlingen–Ulm high-speed railway

Definately the Cologne–Frankfurt high-speed rail line along the A3. Maximum speed is 300 km/h (186 mph) and the maximum grade is 4.0%, so this line is the second steepest main railway in Germany and the steepest high-speed rail line in the world.

That's why this is sometimes called "Westerwaldachterbahn" (Westerwald roller coaster) or "the fastest roller coaster in the world".
That looks dangerous , i wouldn't want to be on that train....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Do you know any other example of railway running in the middle of a main road (at least a 2x2)?

Maybe there are some examples in Chicago area?
Its rare and not really liked.... Chicago , LA , Dallas , Seattle , Portland , Bus Rapid Transit is preferred for Highway ROW. Here in the Northeast only 2 lines run in Highway ROW , they are the JFK Airtrain , and Dulles Metrorail. Out of the 19,000 proposed / planned Northeastern Rail / Transit restoration and expansion project only 50 miles more with be in Highway ROW. Mostly for Intercity / HSR approaches... We are also ripping up a few highways and replacing them with narrowed boulevards / BRT or Light Rail. In some Cities like Boston or DC outside of the core the Rapid Transit lines sometimes share Regional Rail ROW , its a cheaper way of expanding the system to the denser areas of the city without spending alot. Here in the NYC-Philly metros we use abandoned Freight lines for new Regional / Rapid Rail lines.....it saves us a ton and serves the denser areas.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways