daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #9841
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Yesterday I almost ran into a blown-up tyre. It happened to a truck not that much in front of me and it blew up in a tunnel. I barely managed to avoid it.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #9842
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19410

You're lucky. I wonder what happens if you drive 1.5 m from a truck tire pressurized at 8.0 bar that just explodes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9843
Verso
Islander

I could as well be overtaking that truck since it wasn't far away from me, and I was on the overtaking lane and he was on the driving lane. Traffic was also busy (A1 LJ-MB) and I was lucky that I just managed to overtake a truck and turn right on the driving lane just before I'd hit the tyre that was all over the overtaking lane. It happened to a Hungarian truck, sometimes it seems there're more of them here than Slovenian trucks.
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM   #9844
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1821

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You're lucky. I wonder what happens if you drive 1.5 m from a truck tire pressurized at 8.0 bar that just explodes.
Well, although unlikely, this might happen:
(watch from 4:30 to see the real thing)
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 06:22 PM   #9845
Verso
Islander

Old April 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #9846
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Tyres blowing off are really scary. Once a tyre exploded on a bus. I thought it was a bomb or something. Some people have fallen down on floor.
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9847
Rebasepoiss

Once a bus tyre exploded in Tallinn underground bus terminal. A double-glazed window around 3m away shattered when that happened.
Old April 8th, 2011, 05:36 PM   #9848
Rebasepoiss

HOLY S**T!
Old April 8th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #9849
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A Wiesmann Roadster. Not a car you see every day to be exact.

Old April 8th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #9850
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Yesterday I almost ran into a blown-up tyre. It happened to a truck not that much in front of me and it blew up in a tunnel. I barely managed to avoid it.
I had just one of such incidents, it was rather scary because of the noise it made (silent highway at dawn, not much traffic and suddenly a loud noise).
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM   #9851
bogdymol
bogdymod

Those of you that ride a bike, don't do this:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:40 PM   #9852
Verso
Islander

^ That has to be some of the weirdest stuff I've seen.
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #9853
bogdymol
bogdymod

I've seen once such a vehicle on the streets. AFAIK it is used at spraying some chemicals on the corn crops.
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9854
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

You nearly shit your pants.

It happened to me(not the pant shitting part) and I thought there was an actual real explosion from a bomb. For a second I was blinded by tire dust(I did not know it was from the tire in the moment) from the blast and I expected to feel debris and car parts shredding me to pieces, but a second later I was out of the cloud of dust and everything was fine ...and a second after that I noticed the exploded tire on the truck and that is when my heart slid back down from my throat into my chest. It all happened extremely, fast but there was that cloudy dark moment when time slowed down a bit and I really thought I was dying,

...and now here's the real kicker.

This is the real shocking part! The truck was a flatbed eighteen-wheeler and it was carrying two large concrete and steel tear shaped containers that looked very strange. So I actually intentionally got closer to the back of the truck because I wanted to inspect them and see what they could be. Then a thought crossed my mind that they looked a lot like the containers that bomb squads use to detonate found bombs, and EXACTLY at that instant BAM!! ... the explosion. Let's just say that it was one of the scariest moments in my life and it was a miracle I did not swerve or slam the brakes and cause a huge accident.

Ever since then I stay far away from eighteen-wheelers and when I see other drivers tailgating trucks or driving side by side it drives me crazy. NEVER drive side by side to any car ever! Truck or otherwise.
Old April 9th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #9855
bogdymol
bogdymod

After reading this part:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldBlackMarble View Post
The truck was a flatbed eighteen-wheeler and it was carrying two large concrete and steel tear shaped containers that looked very strange. So I actually intentionally got closer to the back of the truck because I wanted to inspect them and see what they could be. Then a thought crossed my mind that they looked a lot like the containers that bomb squads use to detonate found bombs, and EXACTLY at that instant BAM!! ... the explosion. Let's just say that it was one of the scariest moments in my life and it was a miracle I did not swerve or slam the brakes and cause a huge accident.
I'm not really sure if you told us the truth here:

Quote:
You nearly shit your pants.
It happened to me(not the pant shitting part)
Don't get mad on me, but I once was so close to crash into a moving truck that hit another car on the side that I stopped the car and rested for few minutes because my heart was almost breaking my chest. This things can scare you like hell!

Quote:
Ever since then I stay far away from eighteen-wheelers and when I see other drivers tailgating trucks or driving side by side it drives me crazy. NEVER drive side by side to any car ever! Truck or otherwise.
I will keep this in mind.
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #9856
Verso
Islander

Once I drove somewhere just 2 minutes before an accident happened there. And once I avoided a head-on collision in the last second; really scary. I also remember when we went to Hungary for the first time 15 years ago (through Austria and road #8). We started overtaking an old Dacia, when a Trabant came out of nowhere (from behind some trees) and joined our road without checking, if anyone's overtaking. We almost crashed, of course.
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:21 AM   #9857
AnOldBlackMarble
read lightship chronicles

Likes (Received): 5860

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I'm not really sure if you told us the truth here:
I know I don't blame you. I wasn't even going to mention it cuz it does sound ridiculous but it is 100% true. I think had my mind not been on an explosion already my reaction would not have been so severe, but I honestly believed I was dead for a second and then I was more shocked that I wasn't when I realized that everything was OK until I figured out that it was just a tire blowout.
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #9858
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flickr appears to have blocked SSC once again. Pictures don't show, only the ones still in your cache memory will still show.
Old April 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #9859
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

??

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:03 PM   #9860
Rebasepoiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
??
You don't have that problem?

Tags