daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #9921
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

What town were those pictures taken in? I'm wondering where you got that view of New York from.

And, talking of North Jersey views*, I was once driving down I-287 with my parents on the way home to Union County from the Poughkeepsie area and my mother said she saw the High Point monument. Seemed implausible, but I glanced that way and saw something too, and I couldn't think of what else it might be.

*For those not from New Jersey: High Point is a mountain peak - 1,803 feet - that is the highest point in the state in altitude (hence the name) as well as being near its nothernmost point. There's a stone monument on the top. It's a good 40 miles from where we apparently saw it; the highway must be elevated at that point and the view to the northwest opened up.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #9922
BND
Regisztrált felhasználó

Likes (Received): 277

New speed record on M6 motorway:

BND no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #9923
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
What town were those pictures taken in? I'm wondering where you got that view of New York from.

And, talking of North Jersey views*, I was once driving down I-287 with my parents on the way home to Union County from the Poughkeepsie area and my mother said she saw the High Point monument. Seemed implausible, but I glanced that way and saw something too, and I couldn't think of what else it might be.

*For those not from New Jersey: High Point is a mountain peak - 1,803 feet - that is the highest point in the state in altitude (hence the name) as well as being near its nothernmost point. There's a stone monument on the top. It's a good 40 miles from where we apparently saw it; the highway must be elevated at that point and the view to the northwest opened up.
Ridgewood / Midland Park..... The Only Interstate were you can see High Point is I-84 , I-287 doesn't even come near High Point. There are high points along I287 in Passaic and Bergen counties but no where close to the high areas along I-84 in Orange County.

Anyway , what do the Europeans on this board think of the Typical Urban Jersey Middle Class homes...?

image hosted on flickr

DSC04353 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

DSCN0344 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:01 AM   #9924
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

(Re High Point) It was late afternoon - so the sun was in the west - in the fall, a clear day. I know it's a good 40 miles but could it be, in the right conditions...? I remember being at High Point with my parents and they were picking out landmarks well up into the Catskills. It was the right direction; is there another obelisk out there?

Re Ridgewood: thought it might be there - the relatively old, substantial houses.... My first guess was Montclair but the angle of the skyline seemed wrong. The housing could be Westfield, but there's no high ground there.

Spring seems to be dragging a bit in Ridgewood compared to Union County (where I grew up and where I was on Sunday): the trees in Union County aren't as bare.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM   #9925
nenea_hartia
Skeptic

Likes (Received): 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Anyway , what do the Europeans on this board think of the Typical Urban Jersey Middle Class homes...?
Seems large and comfy. Reminds me of what I have seen in the UK. Can't compare them with those in Romania, which is still a poor country in European terms. Only those darn wires reminds me of my country. You can't see such cables in Western Europe.
nenea_hartia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #9926
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

Why build detached homes if they're only 3 feet apart?
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #9927
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
Seems large and comfy. Reminds me of what I have seen in the UK. Can't compare them with those in Romania, which is still a poor country in European terms. Only those darn wires reminds me of my country. You can't see such cables in Western Europe.
I quote you on those wires. I've never been to America but as far as movies tell us, they're everywhere there. I've been to Japan and I've seen the same ugly scenario with hundreds of suspended cables. Never seen anything like that in Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland or Austria.

I wonder why they don't put them underground, as it's done in Western Europe.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #9928
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
(Re High Point) It was late afternoon - so the sun was in the west - in the fall, a clear day. I know it's a good 40 miles but could it be, in the right conditions...? I remember being at High Point with my parents and they were picking out landmarks well up into the Catskills. It was the right direction; is there another obelisk out there?

Re Ridgewood: thought it might be there - the relatively old, substantial houses.... My first guess was Montclair but the angle of the skyline seemed wrong. The housing could be Westfield, but there's no high ground there.

Spring seems to be dragging a bit in Ridgewood compared to Union County (where I grew up and where I was on Sunday): the trees in Union County aren't as bare.
No , its to far apart ....form the site itself you can only see I-84 and the surround countryside.... These houses were built back in the 30s and 20s ...there the original Railway sprawl burbs... Montclair has some hills but not as high as Ridgewood.... Theres a Obelisk in the Roundabout along CR 505 in Dumont...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nenea_hartia View Post
If thats comfy then , i want to see what a typical house in Urban Europe looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Why build detached homes if they're only 3 feet apart?
It seems to be an older building style , which is still practiced in the newer Middle Class Developments. Idk why there spaced apart.... People put there trash and AC units on the side....it seems to vary city to city , some have huge gaps and others small gaps...

image hosted on flickr

DSC00898 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I quote you on those wires. I've never been to America but as far as movies tell us, they're everywhere there. I've been to Japan and I've seen the same ugly scenario with hundreds of suspended cables. Never seen anything like that in Italy, Germany, France, Switzerland or Austria.

I wonder why they don't put them underground, as it's done in Western Europe.
Most of Urban Jersey should have wires below the Street by 2030. Its Expensive and complex in this region due to whats under the street. But the Main Streets of most towns and cities had there wires put underground back in the 70s.....Wires will never be completely removed in Suburban Jersey due to the Cost , only the Newer Developments have them removed. New Brunswick,NJ was one of the first Cities that put 90% of there cables underground.

Old April 20th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #9929
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

It would be stupid and silly to get into an argument about this, so this is the last thing I'm going to say: I was googling a bit and found a photographers' forum where someone introduced a set of pictures of High Point by discussing the site, and he remarked that the obelisk is visible above 30 miles away on a clear day. And I know what is visible from the site itself, because I've been there. Some time, check out Washington Rock, off US 22 in Green Brook - so called because George Washington watched British troop movements from there. It's right on the edge of the last range of hills; to the south and east it's all fairly flat. There's a nice view of the Manhattan skyline - which must be close to 30 miles away - in the other direction you can see the TV transmitter near Trenton that you can also see from the Northeast Corridor tracks near Hamilton. So.... Try it before being dismissive, please. You may even get some good pictures! Peace.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #9930
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Now re overhead wires and detached houses:

I was just playing with StreetView because I thought the power line in my neighborhood were overhead, and apparently I was mistaken, because I can't see any.

Here's a link to a point about two minutes' walk away so you can get a sense of the neighborhood without me putting my exact location on the Internet:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...03428&t=h&z=18

As you'll see if you play with the map, we're on the edge of the downtown - Philadelphians say "Center City" rather than downtown and this neighborhood is definitely within Center City, but a bit outside the business district. I'm five blocks from my job and usually walk; if I'm running late or the weather's awful, I'll take a bus or a cab. I can go up to two weeks - the interval between visits to my parents - without driving.

You'll also see that attached houses are the norm, but not necessarily built in rows at the same time because you may see different styles in the same row. I'd guess my immediate neighborhood was first developed in the 1860s to 1880s. Houses older than 1850 would be very rare, and on the other hand some buildings are newer and replace older buildings on the same site. The population is a mix ranging from students to serious money. (Full houses can cost millions.) I was once watching the Sixth Sense on TV and realized that my car was currently parked in the block where the townhouse is.

One drawback to everything being underground: until 3 years ago, I lived in a high-rise closer to the center of the business district, but an older high-rise where street noise wasn't insulated. It seems like the street was always being torn up for something - they'd work on the power lines for a couple of months, we'd have a month of quiet, and then someone else would work on the gas. Most of the work done at night so as not to interfere with traffic during the day. I haven't heard a pneumatic drill since I moved, thank God.

Chris, suburban areas may be zoned against attached houses (each local government - municipalities, counties in some states - does its own zoning); and this is totally a guess, but the reason may be that row houses came to be associated with certain urban conditions that people moved to the suburbs to get away from.

And to G. Spinoza: overhead wires used to be worse! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_in_1890.jpg

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:07 AM   #9931
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2086

Quote:

And to G. Spinoza: overhead wires used to be worse! http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_in_1890.jpg
:O
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:11 AM   #9932
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

An overall impression:

I would find those houses shown "small" and I don't understand why they didn't made rowhouses of them. Anyway it is an 'urban' development so It would be a normal rowhomes here...

There are ofthen overhead wires on suburban houses here that where build in the 60-70ties or on older streets. Typical is to see that the wires are above ground but run down along the poles and then go underground towards the house. All the rest is below ground and I've never seen them near city centers across streets but on the walls of the homes instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ƒƒ View Post

Old road

20. Zandstraat.

Newer suburban devolopments

36. Anjerstraat.

42. Wasserijstraat.

44. Steenakkerstraat.

Typical main road in suburban Belgium

50. Nieuwstraat.

Last edited by joshsam; April 21st, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #9933
bogdymol
bogdymod

As I promised, here is my surprise for you (I don't know how many are interested, but maybe you'll like it).
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 08:51 PM   #9934
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 766

Quote:
from the Poughkeepsie area
LOL! My vet, here in Venice, was born in Poughkeepsie. It took years for her to teach me how to pronounce that correctly

So, you can confirm Poughkeepsie really exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
As I promised, here is my surprise for you (I don't know how many are interested, but maybe you'll like it).
Is that you?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; April 21st, 2011 at 08:59 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 09:22 PM   #9935
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
LOL! My vet, here in Venice, was born in Poughkeepsie. It took years for her to teach me how to pronounce that correctly

Is that you?
:-)
Yes, Poughkeepsie exists. (I'm guessing the name is Native American, as spelled by the Dutch who were the first Europeans in the region). It's on the Hudson River midway between New York City and Albany (the New York state capital). Poughkeepsie itself is an old small city that has seen better days, but that's pretty country - the Hudson runs between two mountain areas, the Catskills to the west and the Berkshires and Taconics to the east, and it's just far enough from New York that it hasn't turned into suburbs yet, although IBM is (I believe) based in the area. (It's also known for a long-standing private women's college, Vassar.) During the late 19th century, lots of wealthy people from New York built their country houses along the river in that area, and the most famous attraction there today is the summer home of Franklin Roosevelt in Hyde Park. What I was doing up there with my parents was a fall country drive to look at the colors (which can be spectacular in the Northeast in October), with the Roosevelt house as the specific destination.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.175095&z=13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poughkeepsie,_New_York

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Last edited by Penn's Woods; April 21st, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 03:17 AM   #9936
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

Is that you?
Yes its at the end of the Hudson line. 2-3 by train and 2-4hrs by car depending on the route and traffic..... Its a small city that is mostly built on a bluff....although theres alot of TOD planned for around the station.
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #9937
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

I'm planning to drive to Paris from Slo on monday, maybe sunday. Are there traffic jams expected on monday after Easter in Germany on A8 (Munchen - Karlsruhe)?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:16 PM   #9938
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19363

It will be very busy Monday late afternoon / evening.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #9939
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

thanks. so its sunday then, A4 in France will be busy too I guess.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2011, 11:28 PM   #9940
Nexis
Dark Wolf

From Above ....

image hosted on flickr

DSCN1231 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From Below....

image hosted on flickr

Hutchinson River Parkway - New York by dougtone, on Flickr