daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #10301
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

A driving Christmas tree. There are already large front lights, side lights and back lights. The only thing I miss on a truck is a high-positioned braking light on the back of a trailer, now only the vehicle immediately behind the truck can see him braking, other people can't. But it's hard to implement as there are many different sizes of trailers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #10302
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Btw, I agree on Chris' point, but I like the introduction of reflective tape, as well as I appreciated the new system of upper tail lights.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #10303
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

great video. too bad it doesn't slow down when getting on the train. that part is funny how it suddenly enters the train.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #10304
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A driving Christmas tree. There are already large front lights, side lights and back lights. The only thing I miss on a truck is a high-positioned braking light on the back of a trailer, now only the vehicle immediately behind the truck can see him braking, other people can't. But it's hard to implement as there are many different sizes of trailers.
Most of the times, to my opinion, truck's lights are underdimensioned. Today a truck in front of me couldn't turn left because of the stream of cars overtaking it and not noticing the (ridiculously) small blinker...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #10305
bogdymol
bogdymod

Now this is a proper final lap:

My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:16 AM   #10306
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Thatcher can count herself a ******* failure!
Nah, she restored the British finances and modernized the country, eliminating decrepit and faltering, jurassic State enterprises like British Telecom, British Rail and British Coal. I can barely imagine the outrageous idea of having a State company be responsible to provide us Internet access.

She also put an definitive end to de-colonization, which had gone wary by late 1970s with independence of Belize, repelling an Argentinian invasion on the Falklands (though the context there was not de-colonization at all as islanders didn't want by any means to become Argentinians). Even if it was a not very big conflict, it restored the confidence of British forces, which would prove crucial in later developments in Balkans (Bosnia + Kosovo), Afghanistan and Iraq.
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM   #10307
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Be all that as it may, there are lots of perfectly good reasons why a man (or woman) above age 30 might find himself on a bus. (Such as the fact that most of my five-block route to work is covered by a single bus line, so if I'm a little late or it's raining....) While some people may want to see everyone live in the suburbs and drive everywhere, I'm sure Mrs. Thatcher would be of the right-wing school of thought that encourages people to make their own choices, even the choice to live in cities. Therefore, she can still kiss my ass.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #10308
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

She didn't restore the finances of the British people
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:52 AM   #10309
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21255

USA car theft figures

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) --
Quote:
Auto theft in the United States dropped to its lowest levels since 1967 last year, according to a new report from the National Insurance Crime Bureau.

Vehicle theft rates dropped an estimated 7.2% between 2009 and 2010, the NICB said, based on FBI crime data. A total of about 795,000 vehicles were stolen in 2009.

Auto thefts weren't down everywhere, however. Thefts rose in the five metro areas that had the highest rate of thefts. Those metro areas, all on the West Coast, are Fresno, Modesto and Bakersfield-Delano in California, followed by Spokane, Wash., and Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif.

Regional theft rates are calculated based on the number of vehicles stolen compared to the population.

All of the top 10 metro areas for auto theft are on the West Coast. That fact that can probably be attributed to the high rate of car ownership and easy access to ports and international border crossings, said NICB spokesman Frank Scafidi. Professional auto theft rings often try to move cars out of the country.

Reasons for the overall decline in auto thefts include improved built-in anti-theft technology in cars, Scafidi said, and better enforcement, including "bait car" programs.

Police in many cities have been using specially equipped cars that are left parked with the keys in them to attract opportunistic auto thieves. The cars can then be shut off using remote control as thieves try to drive away with them.

Since a relatively small number of auto thieves account for a large number of thefts, "bait car" programs have proven especially effective at fighting the problem.

"There were a lot of very prolific thieve that were taken off the streets in the last few years," Scafidi said.

The NICB recommends a combination of common sense, warning devices, car immobilizing technology and tracking devices to protect against auto theft.
Immobilizing devices include things like smart keys that prevent the engine from being started with copied keys and devices that prevent fuel from flowing unless a hidden button is pressed.

Tracking devices emit signals that allow the vehicle to be located quickly from a remote location.
From the same source
Quote:
America's most stolen cars - per thousand vehicles
1. Cadillac Escalade (10.8)
2. Chevrolet Silverado (8.0)
3. Dodge Charger (7.4)
4. Chevrolet Avalanche (7.4)
5. Infiniti G37 Coupe (7.1)
6. GMC Sierra Crew Cab (6.7)
7. Nissan Maxima (6.5)
8. Hummer H2 (6.2)
9. GMC Yukon XL 4WD (6.0)
10. Chevrolet Tahoe (5.8)
Apparently, American thieved to have a taste for GM made cars.

Quote:
Top 10 places for auto theft
1. Fresno, Calif.
2. Modesto, Calif.
3. Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.
4. Spokane, Wash.
5. Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif.
6. Sacramento/Arden-Arcade/Roseville, Calif.
7. Stockton, Calif.
8. Visalia-Porterville, Calif.
9. San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, Calif.
10. Yakima, Wash.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:44 PM   #10310
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Your contempt for huge segments of the population is breathtaking. No wonder you're an admirer of Thatcher and Robert Moses. And your passive-aggressive way of responding to those of us who have the effrontery to disagree with you and your worldview (Shall we call it "totalitarian suburbanism"? - it's new to me) is actually a bit pathetic.

You're on "ignore," if I can find it. (I know it exists, but have only used it once.) Someone else can explain what a BRT is.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:45 PM   #10311
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Top ten is all in the West. You'd think that places like Michigan would be on there right?
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:10 PM   #10312
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Hello there, I'm new here - but Ive been following this forum for quite some time. I live partly in Austria and the UK, am Dutch born and I'm a European delivery driver in a van, and there aren't many highways and byways I havent been on in Europe. Will upload pictures later. I think I will enjoy it here, I've always had a great interest in infrastructure, road layouts and road signages in different countries.

See ya'll around.....
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #10313
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Sat-nav strands hapless Hungarian trucker and his 40-ton lorry in a VERY narrow country lane

Ther're very interesting comments at the bottom (click View all).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 08:51 PM   #10314
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19426

Amazing how xenophobic people are. I mean, some even argue that people who do not speak English should not be driving a truck in the United Kingdom. I say, turn that around and ban English truckers from driving on the European mainland.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:16 PM   #10315
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Hello there, I'm new here - but Ive been following this forum for quite some time. I live partly in Austria and the UK, am Dutch born and I'm a European delivery driver in a van, and there aren't many highways and byways I havent been on in Europe. Will upload pictures later. I think I will enjoy it here, I've always had a great interest in infrastructure, road layouts and road signages in different countries.

See ya'll around.....
Welcome to SSC. If you say that you drove on many roads in Europe, you should check this website: http://cmap.m-plex.com/index.php

Quote:
Amazing how xenophobic people are. I mean, some even argue that people who do not speak English should not be driving a truck in the United Kingdom. I say, turn that around and ban English truckers from driving on the European mainland.
Cool idea
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM   #10316
phiberoptik
Şerif

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Brilliant idea
phiberoptik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 10:44 PM   #10317
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
if you want rare Croatian plates, then you should search for IM (Imotski) and DE (Delnice). for DE i know that they have reached combination DE-999-Z just few years ago IM is similar.
i was in DE area today. i say plates DE-645-AD, so they are doing well
Old June 23rd, 2011, 12:37 AM   #10318
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

I've seen a Google StreetView car today in Warsaw. It was a white-green Opel Astra on German (Hamburger) plates.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:56 AM   #10319
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

I would like to see one of those one day, they must look strange

Quote:
If such a ban comes into place, all British lorry drivers going onto the continent should be required to speak the languages of all countries they go through.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM   #10320
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

ppl you don't understand. we are all supposed to know English naturally, since the day of our birth

edit: one month ago in my firm i had delivery by Turkish driver. i knew maybe 10 words of Turkish, in that moment totaly unusefull. he didn't speak anything else. and we understood each other without problem, especially when i came with 10-15 crucial words caught from google translate. similar as with Romanian driver few months ago. i really don't see some large problems here.

Last edited by x-type; June 23rd, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways