daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #10781
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2122

I've a question for Spanish forumers. Do you know of any hiking trails map for Sierra Nevada? I checked on the Kompass website but for Spain they only published the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim trail

Last edited by g.spinoza; August 17th, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #10782
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I've a question for Spanish forumers. Do you know of any hiking trails map for Sierra Nevada? I checked on the Kompass website but for Spain they only published the Santiago de Compostela pilgrim trail

Should you need about central Pyrenees, maybe I will write you a post enough.. not to buy any guide : Cheers:

but I do not know what to recommend about Sierra Nevada

Try in this thread
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1197989&page=9

It is about Tourism at Andalucia. Do not worry posting in English. It is sure you will find some forumers who post here too.

(JosÚ A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #10783
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Thank you alserrod, I posted my request there. Although I found a nice website (http://www.topwalks.net/en/index.htm) I'd prefer to have a real paper map.
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:09 AM   #10784
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Thank you alserrod, I posted my request there. Although I found a nice website (http://www.topwalks.net/en/index.htm) I'd prefer to have a real paper map.

I prefer not to recommend you any guide from there because never gone there.
When I take a trekking guide I look on a lot of details I know and take my own opinion.

Old August 18th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #10785
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

so you guys hear University of Miami football is done for
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #10786
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
so you guys hear University of Miami football is done for
Yeah, I did... But, in a broader sense, I feel there are many things strong with college sports. It is not like student who happen to be also athletes but top-notch athletes disguised as students with all kinds of academic privileges and slack cut to them.

Then, you have NCAA making billions on college football and millions in other sports and not paying students a dime, for theoretically being a volunteer, only-for-the-sake-of-sport activity.

Sure I'm not justifying what happened there with hookers, underage drinking, presents, bonus paid to injury opposite players (this is outrageous) during games etc. But something has to change. The drafts for professional leagues will only take a tiny percentage of all Division I athletes, and most student-athletes will end, in the case of college football, with deficient academic education and no pro salary at all.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #10787
Suburbanist
on the road

Nice site for tolls, vignettes in Europe

I just stumbled upon this Tollticket website selling vignettes and toll electronic payment devices for Europe.

If for anything else, they have a comprehensive list of vignettes/toll/sticker requirements.

It is the first time I recall seeing Italian telepass for offer for short-term use by foreigners without bank account in Italy etc.

They sell devices for many countries, only Portugal is missing. But Portugal system is the worse, as it requires some RFID that can only be bought at the Spanish border.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #10788
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yeah, I did... But, in a broader sense, I feel there are many things strong with college sports. It is not like student who happen to be also athletes but top-notch athletes disguised as students with all kinds of academic privileges and slack cut to them.

Then, you have NCAA making billions on college football and millions in other sports and not paying students a dime, for theoretically being a volunteer, only-for-the-sake-of-sport activity.

Sure I'm not justifying what happened there with hookers, underage drinking, presents, bonus paid to injury opposite players (this is outrageous) during games etc. But something has to change. The drafts for professional leagues will only take a tiny percentage of all Division I athletes, and most student-athletes will end, in the case of college football, with deficient academic education and no pro salary at all.
Agree 100%. I have no doubt this goes on at pretty much every major program. Alabama and Texas could feed everyone in Africa with the money they bring in. The schools logic is the athletes get a free education which in turn is there pay.

But lets be serious if you are a 18-19-20 year old kid and some man says hey man here is a $1000 bucks just play well. Or hey man, do you want this nice $8,000 watch? Lets not kid ourselves, not a lot of kids are turning it down.

Something's really off with the system. I get the whole fine line between amateur and pro thing, where as soon as you get money you a pro. But it just seems weird to me that these kids make millions for the schools and get a very small fraction in return.
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #10789
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
Something's really off with the system. I get the whole fine line between amateur and pro thing, where as soon as you get money you a pro. But it just seems weird to me that these kids make millions for the schools and get a very small fraction in return.
The bottom of this problem is an unintended consequence of the professional sports' league system in US, in which there is no relegation, academy apprenticeship and else, tons of lower division pro or semi-pro leagues with promotion/relegation etc. that offer a way into increasingly making more money if you are good. Not saying the league system is bad, it is good in many aspects (including a more leveled playing field and a more business/entertainment oriented approach than European club-based competitions) but has unintended consequences.

NFL has those 32 teams, and that is it. So, because people like sports, many cities/areas end up only with college football, which is a de-facto, if weird, lower-division football competition(s) in US - one in which everyone but the players get nicely paid.

Interestingly enough, MLS (Major League Soccer) has a scheme in which very talented young soccer players are "bailed out" from the college soccer competitions and put into professional teams at age 18, 19 with very high wages (for US soccer market).
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:34 AM   #10790
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I just stumbled upon this Tollticket website selling vignettes and toll electronic payment devices for Europe.

If for anything else, they have a comprehensive list of vignettes/toll/sticker requirements.

It is the first time I recall seeing Italian telepass for offer for short-term use by foreigners without bank account in Italy etc.

They sell devices for many countries, only Portugal is missing. But Portugal system is the worse, as it requires some RFID that can only be bought at the Spanish border.

Worse... or better... Portuguese system does not use European standards and require a new system that can be buyed only at Portugal and on a little points at Spain besides the border.

But... it is the only system that do not require to go slowly... they check all cars at 120 km/h faster

Old August 18th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #10791
bogdymol
bogdymod

It would be nice to have a device recognised in all EU countries for automatic toll payment.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #10792
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

That's one of the things that requires tighter European integration
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #10793
alserrod
Bienvenue Ó Saragosse

+1

and less problems (they are working but never finished) with mobile in different countries... or just an unique stamp for Post at any country (you are paying with the same currency... which difference should be???)

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #10794
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 898

Its worse in Portugal, there is another older system too which has tickets and such which has its own type of electronic system so that you don't have to stop called the Via Verde, but most people still stop
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #10795
mapman:cz
Ministerskř rada

Likes (Received): 202

Quote:
That's one of the things that requires tighter European integration
There already is a EU directive on EETS - european electronic tolling service - or sth. like that It's the first step made in this particular issue. But only for freight traffic at the first place.
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:53 PM   #10796
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

today on m3

gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #10797
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

What about driver and passengers?