daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #10801
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

WHY would you want a caravan in the fist place? you dont even save any money on accommodation
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #10802
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
WHY would you want a caravan in the fist place? you dont even save any money on accommodation
I once searched for renting a caravan to do a roadtrip. When I saw that it was as expensive as a 3-4* hotel room/night I gave up.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #10803
Fatfield

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramercy View Post
I suppose one reason is that you can choose were you want to stay. Also if you're doing a multi destination trip you don't need to empty your car of your baggage every time you stop.

Maybe Chris Z can answer this better as the Dutch seem to be caravan crazy.
Fatfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #10804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

There are more than 15,000 campsites in Europe. You're very flexible and not dependent on hotels or reservations. Renting a caravan on campsites is usually expensive (€ 900 per week is not uncommon in the more popular areas like the Adriatic Coast in Italy). However, if I would want something like this, it'd be a camper. Much more flexible, lower tolls and higher speeds. And more suitable for mountain roads. They're only damn expensive, a new camper easily costs € 50,000 while a caravan can be bought for less than 15 grand.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #10805
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Was he watching that DVD while driving?
Three years ago I met up with my colleague driver and friend Derrek at motorway services near Nottingham. I was on my way to Spain, he was going to do a delivery in Koblenz, and reload in Dortmund. I gave him his DVD's back that I borrowed of him, and we had dinner together.
Next thing I heard is that he made it to Koblenz and did his delivery. Going back on the motorway heading towards Dortmund he never saw that the traffic in front of him was in a standstill, and he crashed into the back of a truck. Dead on site. We will never know if it was tiredness, but he was known to watch DVD's whilst driving.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #10806
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Three years ago I met up with my colleague driver and friend Derrek at motorway services near Nottingham. I was on my way to Spain, he was going to do a delivery in Koblenz, and reload in Dortmund.
Hey

Is your van left-hand drive or right-hand drive?
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #10807
Road_UK
BANNED

Right-hand. But left-hand hopefully from next week onwards, as I'm busy getting my own van in Holland. I'm going to Holland on Sunday, and find out the possibilities on Monday.
Old August 18th, 2011, 08:56 PM   #10808
Road_UK
BANNED

My van in our garden in Mayrhofen, Austria:
Old August 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #10809
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

I guess you've posted it before but I don't know it (and forgive me if it is a secret): are you an Englishman having a house in Austria or an Austrian having a job in Britain or... ?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:04 PM   #10810
Road_UK
BANNED

Half English, half Dutch working for a British firm, moved to Mayrhofen 3 years ago, because it's nicer than Stevenage - and doing this job all over Europe it doesn't really matter where you live...
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10811
Suburbanist
on the road

Geez, I'd be nuts driving a RHD car all over continental Europe. Driving close to the kerb, strange thing. I guess that is more difficult to adapt to than driving on the left side of the road with a RHD car.
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #10812
Road_UK
BANNED

Only because you're not used to it. I'm used to both. I have to, doing 1000's of miles in a week in Europe. Here in Austria I drive an Austrian registered LHD (which I've driven to England once). I just switch over automatically.
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #10813
alserrod
Bienvenue à Saragosse

At Spain caravans are not usual. In fact, camping's directors say that most of them are foreing tourist (and some of them keep on the same camping for a lot of years)

What they are more popular are tents.

Once I was on a camping I watched some caravans (and cars addapted to caravan). I searched for prices and I understood why I will never have one.

There were in the camping one family with several tents (and an electrical fridge with high 1,8m)... They could be transported with a little car-trailer.

Maybe because trips are short than from other places, people do not use caravans so much.

(José A. Labordeta 1935 - 2010)
alserrod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 03:41 AM   #10814
Suburbanist
on the road

Spanish weather also make it more comfortable for tent-camping that, say, in Switzerland, Germany or Nordic countries where temperatures around 10-13 are not uncommon even in summer.
Old August 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #10815
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Only because you're not used to it. I'm used to both. I have to, doing 1000's of miles in a week in Europe. Here in Austria I drive an Austrian registered LHD (which I've driven to England once). I just switch over automatically.
How can you post that often on SSC if you are driving so much? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but do you have internet access everytime you stop for resting?

PS: have you started to make your clinched highways file?

----------------------------------------------

Guys, have you heard anything from Verso recently? I'm worried. His last post on SSC was this one, on August 4th:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Guys... my body is completely malfunctioning... so I'm 99% sure that I got multiple sclerosis after all. If I don't come back, I probably went shoot myself.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #10816
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
How can you post that often on SSC if you are driving so much? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but do you have internet access everytime you stop for resting?

PS: have you started to make your clinched highways file?

----------------------------------------------

Guys, have you heard anything from Verso recently? I'm worried. His last post on SSC was this one, on August 4th:

Cant be too hard to post on your phone. Especially this nice App that the site has
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #10817
Agurv

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agurv View Post
so you guys hear University of Miami football is done for
Shapiro's attorney claims he has more info
Agurv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #10818
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
How about overtaking? Is it sufficient just to look on the passenger's mirror to have a clear view of incoming vehicles?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #10819
Road_UK
BANNED

Morning, G.
Lovely day today in Mayrhofen, what about Munich?

Yes, it's the only mirror I can use. I've got a "blind" panel van, but the mirrors are big, and I've got a dead angle mirror underneath it. So it's not a problem.

Old August 19th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #10820
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Half English, half Dutch working for a British firm, moved to Mayrhofen 3 years ago, because it's nicer than Stevenage - and doing this job all over Europe it doesn't really matter where you live...
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
highways, motorways