daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 1st, 2011, 04:50 PM   #11021
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Fear of dirt roads? Try this : http://maps.google.es/maps?ll=41.588...197.25,,0,1.11

In some countries Street View is not avalaible, that explains why coverage stops at borders. However, you can cross from Spain to France . About the gaps on major routes, perhaps anybody has complained and then they removed imagery.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:44 PM   #11022
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielFigFoz View Post
Coldest summer in London since 1993, the average high this August was 19
i think that we will have one of 5 hottest Augusts in history here in Croatia. first half of July was also "in that mood" but second half was incredibly cold, so at the end it was average. but August won't be average.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM   #11023
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 892

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I acutally can't believe that it is 24, in Bratislava it is 27 for July/August and we get much warmer summers. In the UK if they rarely get even more than 25C don't they?

Btw, last 2 weeks it has been above 30/35, this week every day it is above 25C which is pretty normal for Bratislava but it can hardly ever happen in London.
In most of the UK yes, but the South East is much warmer. It gets to 25 in London a lot. The warmest its ever been in London is 38. Every day over 25 for a long period is rare in London
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:24 PM   #11024
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

Quote:
In most of the UK yes, but the South East is much warmer. It gets to 25 in London a lot. The warmest its ever been in London is 38. Every day over 25 for a long period is rare in London
I spent 10 months in the UK, I lived in the South West and we didn't get many days when it was more than 25, of course it is different in the city where is just concrete and nothing else. Even if it was 23C people were saing that it is bacon .

Btw, being a Portuguese how the hell can you cope with such a weather and lifestyle?

Zauvik si tu, u mojim mislima i grudima..
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #11025
Road_UK
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1599

Characters in the UK get really excited when the temperature hits 15c. All the England and Lonsdale t-shirts comes off and people can gaze at the ugliest tattood bodies you have ever seen. Funny old place, England.
Road_UK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:42 PM   #11026
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post
I spent 10 months in the UK, I lived in the South West and we didn't get many days when it was more than 25, of course it is different in the city where is just concrete and nothing else. Even if it was 23C people were saing that it is bacon .

Btw, being a Portuguese how the hell can you cope with such a weather and lifestyle?
The South West is pretty much all quite near the sea though, and some years are better than others, there hasn't been a proper summer since 2006.

I'm both English and Portuguese, so I'm pretty used to both. It rains more in Portugal though, Figueira's right on the sea so its always windy and raining, where I am is at least 100km from the sea.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM   #11027
seem
Mornar bez mora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_UK View Post
Characters in the UK get really excited when the temperature hits 15c. All the England and Lonsdale t-shirts comes off and people can gaze at the ugliest tattood bodies you have ever seen. Funny old place, England.
..late February, temperature hits 10C, sun is shining after 4 months, in one second England changes to place in the sun, English wear flip flop, shorts and just t-shirts.. come down to the docks/lakeside with friends and pretend that they are not cold. Good old weird England.

Reminds me this video -

Quote:
The South West is pretty much all quite near the sea though, and some years are better than others, there hasn't been a proper summer since 2006.

I'm both English and Portuguese, so I'm pretty used to both. It rains more in Portugal though, Figueira's right on the sea so its always windy and raining, where I am is at least 100km from the sea.
I have just realised I heard that weather in Portugal isn't that great as one may think, but anyway I guess it is much warmer even on the windy coast.

I didn't know you are English. Which country do you prefer then? Do you fell more like English or Portuguese? If I may ask..; )

Last edited by seem; September 1st, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM   #11028
DanielFigFoz

Not really, its warmer in Figueira in the winter, but not in the summer. Its further out to the sea than most places in Portugal.

I don't prefer either country really, there are good things about both. I don't really feel English or Portuguese
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM   #11029
Road_UK
BANNED

Not even when you're eating in England?
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:05 PM   #11030
seem
Mornar bez mora

I miss these English jokes so much.

Last edited by seem; September 1st, 2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:07 PM   #11031
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Can someone explain why Google Street View coverage, in country areas, usually ends where asphalt ends? Do they fear to have their Google Cars covered with mud or dust?
And why there are gaps even on major covered roads?
And why coverage also ends where a road cross a border (I-A, I-SLO, etc...)?
Different legislation in different countries. E.g. in Slovenia they asked the "information comissioner" for opinion and she said well that they should blur the faces etc during capturing or immediately after, i.e. doing it in US labs is way too late. Without this it would mean Google collects personal information, which is allowed only by law or with each person's consent, both of which is impossible in this case. Google offered to publish in media when and where they are going to drive around but apparently it's not enough because of course not everybody would see the notice.
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:24 PM   #11032
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I think the law here would be that anything that's visible to the public - the outside of your house, for example - can't be considered private. (It's certainly the case in the context of criminal law: if you leave evidence of a crime in plain view on your front lawn, the police don't need a warrant to pick it up.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11033
il brutto
Registriran uporabnik

Likes (Received): 1

Of course, houses weren't a problem, specific examples given of things that should be blured were faces, license plates, people in embarassing situations, view through a window.
il brutto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:17 PM   #11034
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Actually, I believe there were complaints somewhere - Germany perhaps - about people's houses being photographed. License plates, frankly, I think the same logic would apply to. Things visible through a window, well, if it's visible to the Streetview car, it's still visible to anyone who should happen to be passing, so those people should be more careful about putting their blinds down. But I see their point of view....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:23 AM   #11035
DanielFigFoz

I came across a sign in Montréal that says "stop"

http://maps.google.com/?ll=45.484935...130.06,,2,1.16
Old September 2nd, 2011, 06:50 AM   #11036
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

You know, you had me all ready to be shocked. I was imagining a sign that said "STOP" and only "STOP."

Then I open the picture and see "ARRÊT - STOP." That was actually standard up there the first time in Quebec in the late 70s (although I actually seem to remember it being the other way around: "STOP - ARRÊT."

I think they just say "ARRÊT" now. Bottom line, it's an old sign.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #11037
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

The Québec issue is interesting, because they don't use ARRÊT in France.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #11038
Road_UK
BANNED

Canadian French it totally different then French French anyway. Canadian-French films are subtitled in France because the French don't understand a word otherwise...
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:09 PM   #11039
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

More than the few words and expressions used only in Quebec or France, the main problem is the accent, at least for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Actually, I believe there were complaints somewhere - Germany perhaps - about people's houses being photographed.
Yep, I took a random residential street in Stuttgart and at least three houses are blurred in Streetview:
http://maps.google.fr/maps?q=stuttga...240.31,,0,8.34

When taking photos for whatever purpose, people often ask to not take pictures in Germany.
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 02:24 PM   #11040
DanielFigFoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
You know, you had me all ready to be shocked. I was imagining a sign that said "STOP" and only "STOP."

Then I open the picture and see "ARRÊT - STOP." That was actually standard up there the first time in Quebec in the late 70s (although I actually seem to remember it being the other way around: "STOP - ARRÊT."

I think they just say "ARRÊT" now. Bottom line, it's an old sign.
Sorry

Tags
highways, motorways